Is the Tomcat the Air to Air King in DCS - ED Forums

Notices

Old 03-25-2020, 02:28 AM   #1
CBenson89

Default Is the Tomcat the Air to Air King in DCS

As someone relatively need to DCS I was just curious where the tomcat stands in terms of air to air amongst the other modules. I’m sure there are better dogfighters than the tomcat but at BVR does anything beat the AWG-9 and the Phoenix? Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CBenson89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 02:32 AM   #2
Mike Busutil

Not only is the F-14 the air to air king but it's also the best looking...

Checkout my user files here:
https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.c...l&set_filter=Y
Mike Busutil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 02:45 AM   #3
Nexus-6

No particular aircraft is necessarily the Air-to-Air "king". They all have their own strengths and weaknesses which you must learn to exploit.

"The quality of the crate matters little. Success depends on the man who sits in it."

- Manfred von Richthofen

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2020, 04:14 AM   #4
vadupleix

You will need a potent human RIO for that.
vadupleix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:14 AM   #5
BonerCat

In a scenario where a competent F-14 crew is going into a BVR only engagement, and the enemy chooses to use BVR tactics (and is not another tomcat), the F-14 will win most of the time, purely because of the massive range of the phoenix.
A 30nm phoenix shot will have a much higher PK than a 30nm AMRAAM shot.

There is a lot of niuanses to BVR, but unless the target forces shorter ranges, the tomcat has many advantages in BVR.

Maps and others:
Persian Gulf, Normandy, WWII Assets, NS 430 + Mi-8 NS 430
BonerCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 10:17 PM   #6
VampireNZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonerCat View Post
In a scenario where a competent F-14 crew is going into a BVR only engagement, and the enemy chooses to use BVR tactics (and is not another tomcat), the F-14 will win most of the time, purely because of the massive range of the phoenix.
A 30nm phoenix shot will have a much higher PK than a 30nm AMRAAM shot.

There is a lot of niuanses to BVR, but unless the target forces shorter ranges, the tomcat has many advantages in BVR.

A maddog AMRAAM launch puts pay to those pesky 154's

VampireNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 10:25 PM   #7
captain_dalan

If you take this plane (or any other plane for that matter) into with that kind of mentality, you are going to get your behind handed to you, regardless of if it's BVR or WVR.

WVR, it's all about you. You learn how to fly it right, and nothing will get in your way. Same goes with any other plane.

BVR......now BVR is a tricky one. No matter how good you are, if you fly with a bad RIO...... tough luck. Jester? Nah, not really.....not against competent human bandits in MP. Maybe there is a way to mitigate this by scripting every single Jester command so you can do it from the front seat, but i have a life and way too little patience to do it myself.

EDIT: just to illustrate the difference. I'm too busy to fly with a squadron, and where i live too few people fly DCS and even less have the F-14. So i always fly solo, even when going MP. ACM? Took me about 4 separate sessions to figure out how to put into practice what i know from theory. BVR???? How should i put this......i though i had some idea about how to use this plane with Jester. Then, the weekend before this one, on the Growling Sidewinder's open server, this random guy asks to join me as a RIO. It's something like 2 AM and i tell him i can't use any audio-vocal communication, because my family is sleeping next room. He says no matter, just let me in the back. So, heck.....why not. I let him in, load 2 AIM-9M's, 2 AIM-7MH and 4 AIM-54C mk47. I take off, do nothing fancy, i mean i jut drive the thing to the Bulls eye and the guy bags a Hornet with a single shot. A single shot man! Sometimes it takes me 6-8 launches before i can kill an F-18 in BVR. If that doesn't tell you how much a human RIO makes a difference....i don't know what will.

I then proceeded to spoil it all by getting shot on egress, mostly by being clumsy and stupid. Man, if you are reading this, kudos! You make one hell of a RIO.

Last edited by captain_dalan; 03-25-2020 at 10:35 PM.
captain_dalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 12:39 AM   #8
Xenovia

I just managed to rebind the Jester commands to make them easier to reach, then memorized those keybinds, and I've been able to get by just fine.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:40 AM   #9
Longiron

Trying to gain any sort of air dominance in MP is a waste.
Not possible with unlimited respawns and auto starts.

Turn the radar off, get her chooching at low level, close in with Awacs calls at 30nm radar on but dont even lock just point nose in general direction pump off 4 to 6 PH like your daddy pays for em them radar off and RTB.

If that air quake stuff suits you...
Longiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 02:06 AM   #10
Hawkeye_UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longiron View Post
Trying to gain any sort of air dominance in MP is a waste.
Not possible with unlimited respawns and auto starts.

Turn the radar off, get her chooching at low level, close in with Awacs calls at 30nm radar on but dont even lock just point nose in general direction pump off 4 to 6 PH like your daddy pays for em them radar off and RTB.

If that air quake stuff suits you...
Very much depends of the server and how competitive the gameplay is.

So for example DDCS modern server you have life points and when shot down or not returning the aircraft you lose LP which means that you will quickly run out if not a good pilot, thus not enable to fly the aircraft, thus the other side can win air dominance. It works well.

I cringe when see people fox3 x 6 all within the space of seconds.

DCS | F14B | AV-8B | F18C | F16C | A10C | JF17 | Viggen | L-39 | MIG 15 | SU27 | SU33 | F15 | MI8 | Huey | KA50 | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy

Liquid Cooled i7 9700K @ 5Ghz & OC RTX2080 Ti Ultra | 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz | 500GB SSD m2 | Oculus Rift S | TM Warthog | Virpil Warbrd Base | Saitek Side Panel | Steel Series Arctis 7 Heaphones
Hawkeye_UK is offline   Reply With Quote