I can't quite bring myself to buy this - ED Forums

Notices

Old 04-24-2020, 08:57 AM   #1
Shibbyland

Default I can't quite bring myself to buy this

Really like the aircraft, would like to buy this along with the F-86 while they're on sale but I can't really find any content for them.

I'd like to dogfight online but I can't find the elusive 'Cold War' servers I've heard about and there really isn't any single player content.

Is somebody able to shed some light on how to get the best out of these modules?

I don't need to be sold on the modules themselves, they're awesome, especially the simulation of control difficulties at high speed, it's something ive never seen in another sim. But beyond flying around and doing some instant actions, I can't see much use for them.
Shibbyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 09:51 AM   #2
Rudel_chw
Veteran

You are correct, there is little content for planes of that era: mig-15, sabre and mig-19.

I was forced to learn the Mission Editor and start editing my own missions .. also learned the MizEdit utility, to translate russian missions to my language.

Sometimes it is possible to convert a mission created for another aircraft, like the mig-21, onto one for the mig-15.

A big difficulty for creating missions, is the lack of period assets .. the Museum Relic campaign resorted to a non-historical story, so that the -15 could fly along modern assets. A more difficult to maintain approach is to use user Mods, like I did on my own missions (see https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=233110).

Even so, for me it has been a worthwhile purchase, i loved to experience the evolution from the -15 to the -19 and then the -21... an amazing change over a 10 year period.
Rudel_chw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 10:08 AM   #3
Ramsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibbyland View Post
Really like the aircraft, would like to buy this along with the F-86 while they're on sale but I can't really find any content for them.
I agree, there's not a lot of content for them but I still think they are still worth buying (one at a time) when on sale.

I enjoyed the "Museum Relic Campaign" and consider it "necessary" to complete the F-86/MiG-15 as they lack SP campaigns but YMMV.

I got 3-6 months out of the F-86 before I switched to another module but I'm not sure what that was in flight hours.

I picked up the MiG-15 much later and on sale, but other than basic training, I've still to make much use of it **

** Note: that's not because it's a bad module, rather I just have lots of other stuff to fly

Quote:
I'd like to dogfight online but I can't find the elusive 'Cold War' servers I've heard about and there really isn't any single player content.
These are the servers I know of

There were 12+ on the ramp of the Forgotten War server weekly mission a month or so ago.

• Korea 1952 server for PvP

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=194192

• Forgotten War 1950-1953 server for PvE with custom co-op missions on Saturdays.
(Unfortunately you will need to purchase the WWII Assets pack to use the server.)

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=4254375

Last edited by Ramsay; 04-24-2020 at 10:11 AM.
Ramsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 10:53 AM   #4
Shibbyland

Thanks guys, this try before you buy period has been great. I've bought modules in the past and just not liked them (AV8B), not because they're bad modules, the Harrier is awesome, I just don't like it.

The MiG and Sabre are absolutely fantastic. To be able to fly WW2 aircraft, then transition to early jets, onto more developed jets like the MiG-19 and MiG-21, then up to the more modern gear is, for me, the best part of this sim.

If I could only pick one out of MiG 15 and Sabre it'd be the MiG but this current sale and the Grimreapers promo code means if I am going to get them I may as well get the 1950s stuff together.

How did you go about learning the mission editor? I've watched numerous videos and have just found I can't get certain things like triggers to work, or make meaningful enemies.

I'm happy enough using WW2 assets for the 1950s period. It's not perfect but it'll do. Wish they had more 1950s/1960s air combat out there, it really was a fascinating period for aviation.
Shibbyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 12:05 PM   #5
Rudel_chw
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibbyland View Post
How did you go about learning the mission editor? I've watched numerous videos ...
I learned by watching videos ... tough not all are actually good at explaining concepts .. this series is the one I like the most:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Ijr-8bTvh36am5

this other one is much older, but I learned a lot about the approach to use for building a complete and fairly complex mission:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...OsJiTlBDyO5p4r

For me, the easiest way to get into editing is modifying missions made by others, for example you can take a P-51D mission and modify it for using a F-86 instead.

Quote:
and have just found I can't get certain things like triggers to work, or make meaningful enemies.
Triggers are easy once you get the hang of them .. but nothing can be done about the AI, just hope that ED will eventually make it better. For A-A it is best to edit multiplayer missions and fly them with friends. For A-G the AI is ok.

Cheers.
Rudel_chw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 12:12 PM   #6
Reflected
3rd Party Campaign Creator

If you like the Sabre, you may want to give these a try: free sample missions from me "Hunters over the Yalu" campaign:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.c...files/3308416/
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 01:08 PM   #7
panzerd18

This is why we need a Korea map and Korea assets pack
panzerd18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 01:21 PM   #8
TheGuardian

I can second the Museum Relic Campaign. They are fun, challenging and laid out very well. Highly recommend.
Old 04-24-2020, 03:35 PM   #9
msalama
Veteran

There's some MP action available if you're into that though. PvP mostly I've understood.
Old 04-24-2020, 03:37 PM   #10
msalama
Veteran

Quote:
This is why we need a Korea map and Korea assets pack
Yeah. Would sell my (neighbor's) left kidney to see this happen someday. Would love to do some ground attack ops in an IL-10 for example