Harrier CAS page update - Page 4 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-24-2020, 04:19 PM   #31
ChickenSim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fri13 View Post
Not by staring the CAS page and thinking that because I have there the information that I can just follow the bomb line to drop bombs without understanding what is happening on the ground and adjusting to that.

As I said, the CAS page gives very easy way to get coordinates and other information to start and check. But it is just that.
Everything in the Situation Update and subsequent 9-line is intended to make the pilot understand what is happening on the ground without necessarily having to see it with their own eyes. Yes, the situation can change between the attack brief being passed and the aircraft rolling in, and for those situations exceptions may be passed. Yes, the pilots aren't always working with qualified JTACs, and for those situatuons there is more onus on the pilots to pull the necessary information from the ground unit to mitigate risk to friendlies. But both of those situations are considered fairly varsity and the pilots need to begin with brilliance in the basics before they may consider themselves prepared to deal with highly situational problems like that.

CAS is a lot broader in scope than you seem to think it is. If you want to actually learn what it entails, cracking open an old JP 3-09.3 is a good place to start. Especially some of the vignettes at the tail end of the pub that specifically go over situations where the pilots can't see the targets with their own eyes.

The stuff you seem to be describing is more akin to only a narrow subset of CAS (Type 1 Bomb on Target), which is a much more common method for helicopters and may also use a friendly-centric rotary-wing 5-line or Close Combat Attack (CCA) brief. This isn't representative of all CAS. This is merely 1 of 6 options that may be used dependent on which option is best suited for the job.

Last edited by ChickenSim; 01-24-2020 at 04:53 PM.
ChickenSim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 06:55 PM   #32
shagrat
ED Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGon View Post
CAS

- Flying Sims since 1984 -
Win 10 | i5 7600K@4.0GHz | 32GB | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB - Acer XB280HK 28" 4k | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | TM HOTAS Warthog custom extension | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | TM Cougar MFDs |a hand made UFC | AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)
shagrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 07:09 PM   #33
shagrat
ED Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGon View Post
Uhm, that's not CAS then, but a classic strike mission. CAS is always a dynamic situation, as you support troops on the ground that are in contact with the enemy. Such situations are way too dynamic to be programmed before you climb into the cockpit.
Actually, a lot of CAS missions are "pre-planned" or at least coordinated through Command and Control elements. Think of a scheduled advance of a tank battalion against a known enemy force, that will be supported by Close Air Support assets to achieve this goal with minimum casualties. Multiple CAS flight will be assigned to support the advancing elements in different sections of the frontline. Target type and at least rough position is known and the rest is coordinated with JTACs / ground forces during the attack.
The A-10C Warthog style xCAS is a special form where ad-hoc CAS is required by troops in contact and "available" or patrolling assets react on an urgent request.
A Strike is typically not coordinated by a JTAC or any ground forces.

Win 10 | i5 7600K@4.0GHz | 32GB | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB - Acer XB280HK 28" 4k | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | TM HOTAS Warthog custom extension | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | TM Cougar MFDs |a hand made UFC | AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)
Old 01-24-2020, 08:06 PM   #34
shagrat
ED Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fri13 View Post
Nothing you post counters anything that I have said.

Don't try to YouTube me.... That was your final mistake.
Ah, the ignorance... *shakes head in disbelief*

Old 01-25-2020, 02:14 AM   #35
LastRifleRound+
Posting Rights Suspended

Quote:
LastRifleRound

The CAS page is multipurpose.

1) It will show you briefed items passed to your aircraft over the ATHS datalink.

2) It can store preplanned attack briefs to recall during a mission.

3) It lets you manually enter attack brief information that you receive over radio. Think of it in this sense as a notepad that lets you record the information passed over voice and read it back accurately. Lines 4, 6, and restrictions are mandatory readback items to a JTAC after being briefed, so it's important to have that information readily accessible.

4) When it's fully integrated, items on the selected CAS brief such as the Ingress Point (IP), target, and briefed final attack headings, etc. will appear on your EHSD to help the pilot visually maneuver the aircraft to support the attack.
Thanks for this. Especially #4. With this symbology on the EHSD, I can see how this would enhance SA. Is this going to be implemented, though? I don't recall seeing that in the works anywhere.
LastRifleRound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 04:21 PM   #36
SGT Coyle

Can I script the CAS page entries through the Mission Editor or by way of do-scriptfile?
Please take this virus very seriously. The data I'm seeing, calls I'm on today..they are not good and now I'm I'm seeing co-workers being affected.. seriously affected in the hospital. People in their 30s and 40s. Wash your hands and stay at home as much as possible.
No Joke People.
SGT Coyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 05:15 PM   #37
kengou

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT Coyle View Post
Can I script the CAS page entries through the Mission Editor or by way of do-scriptfile?
I would love this to be possible so we can set up JTAC missions for the Harrier.
Hangar: A-10A | A-10C | AJS-37 | AV-8B II NA | C-101 | F-14 | F-15C | F-16C | F-5E II | F/A-18C | FW-190A-8 | FW-190D-9 | JF-17 | KA-50 | M-2000C | MI-8MTV2 | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | MiG-29 | P-51D | UH-1H | Spitfire | SU-27 | SU-33

Cockpit: Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5
kengou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 08:19 AM   #38
Dehuman

You can add the F10 map target markers with the mission editor so that all you have to do is RALT+RSHIFT+8 to download them once you are running the mission.
Dehuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 09:58 AM   #39
kengou

Can map markers be hidden in the mission until a certain trigger?
Hangar: A-10A | A-10C | AJS-37 | AV-8B II NA | C-101 | F-14 | F-15C | F-16C | F-5E II | F/A-18C | FW-190A-8 | FW-190D-9 | JF-17 | KA-50 | M-2000C | MI-8MTV2 | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | MiG-29 | P-51D | UH-1H | Spitfire | SU-27 | SU-33

Cockpit: Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5
kengou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 02:14 PM   #40
shagrat
ED Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kengou View Post
Can map markers be hidden in the mission until a certain trigger?
No but you can create them during mission either by using a "time more" condition, or more elaborate by conditions based on position (zone), etc. look for the "mark to" actions, to create markpoints.