DCS: F-14 - Brickdust's "Drunken Sailor" VR Friendly Cockpit

Fubarbrickdust

Almost seems like a crime to mess with HB's masterpiece like this, but in the name of function-over-form I've started to create an alternative 'VR friendly' cockpit for the turkey.

DCS: F-14 - Brickdust's "Drunken Sailor" VR Friendly Cockpit - Main aim is to increase the legibility of cockpit panel and indication light text throughout.

I'll be updating this mod during the foreseeable future as I work through both of the pits/texture files for the F-14. Of course, this will make it no longer an 'authentic' cockpit for the purists, but it should make a marked QOL improvement for us VR users.

I'll do the best I can to preserve the work of HB and keep the mod quality level as high as my skills allow, I won't be down-scaling or resizing any texture files.

All alpha channels, normal and roughmet files will be worked on where applicable to preserve lighting, back-lighting and keep consistency with the changes. I'll also be doing my upmost to select the best mipmap filtering/scaling filters to avoid blurriness and aliasing at distance.

This is my 1st proper go at doing a full cockpit texture mod. It's early days so please feel free to offer any thoughts, advice or constructive criticism on the project...Hopefully I'll be able to make a better mod with feedback.

2005495895_ThreadComparison1.thumb.jpg.9d83d81898207e57fa6dd64ad1216ca7.jpg274017504_ThreadComparison2.thumb.jpg.3d37ec3b67f229af624249a93c38fe3e.jpg

Latest release can be found HERE

OVGME/JSGME ready - Just unzip the contents, pop the included folders into your chosen managers 'mod' location and apply your chosen option to give it a whirl.

At the moment this mod is an instant IC FAIL, but as soon as HB implement custom cockpits I'll look at getting it into the relevant file structure format.

v0.5 - More RIO Pit

- RIO annunciator and warning lights complete.

- Additional RIO panels reworked - RWR, ECM, CMS, Lights & COMM/NAV CMD.

- A few roughmet errors fixed.

v0.4 - RIO Pit Underway. Buttons Buttons Buttons!

- 1st pass on the RIO pit done. All centre and majority of left panels complete. All pushbuttons + back lights reworked.

- Reworked compass instruments (after suggestion from forum member 'Larkis', thanks for the idea!).

- Added pointer marks to RIO radio selector switch knobs.

- Fixed TACAN dial number legibility issue from previous release.

v0.3 - Instruments, Gauges & Black Edition!

- All major pilot pit flight instruments & gauges have been worked on - Higher contrast, increased font size & text alterations where appropriate.

- Finalised all indication light texures and made several tweaks.

- Inclusion of BE (Black Edition) option - Cockpit trim can now come in gunmetal grey!

- Fixed a few norm & roughmet channel bugs fr om previous release.

v0.2 - Pilot pit complete!

- All pilot pit panels reworked and finished.

- RIO weapon Select Dial - Increased size and contrast of font (still rather small as there's only so much wiggle room with a texture that tight, but better than before).

- Fixed a few alpha channel mistakes on DCP from initial release.

1st Release: v0.1

Included panel reworks:

- Pilot cockpit indication lights and textures.

- ACM Panel.

- Display Control Panel.

- Arrestor Hook Panel.

- VDI Panel.

- HSD Panel.

...more to follow.

Cheers,

Brick.

Edited by Fubarbrickdust

9700k@5.2Ghz | GTX 1080ti | 32gb Ram@3200Mhz | 512gb M.2 NVME SSD

Oculus Rift S | VKB GF Pro Mk.II+MCG Pro (rotary wing) | BRD DS-Raven (fixed wing) | MFG Crosswind V2 | Jetseat+SSA/SSM | SimLab GT1 80/20 Rig | NLR Motion Platform V3 | Quad Bass Shaker Setup

DIY Control Panels: 'White Rhino' Throttle | UFC | MFBB Left | MFBB Right | MFBB Centre | WEP-TECH ACP | HYD-MECH LDG | SYS-ELEC | AN/ARC Radio

Excellent work there M8!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

There it is:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3304383/

Edit: AAAND i got an error that is not a valid mod archive :(

Edit: tstrfm (to stupid to read ****ing manual)

I like what you have done. :). Reading the damageboard is much easier now. Thanks for that and keep on on it. :)

If i could take a wish, i think the most important thing for VR useability is on the RIO place the weapon selection wheel. That think is mostly ****ing unreadable. It would be cool if you could priorize this one :)

Edited by Larkis

Excellent work there M8!

Perfect for VR!!!

Thank you!

Thanks guys, gonna try my best to make this a good one, I'm a big fan of the HB F-14 and would really like to do it well and make this the best cockpit mod for VR

...SNIP

If i could take a wish, i think the most important thing for VR useability is on the RIO place the weapon selection wheel. That think is mostly ****ing unreadable. It would be cool if you could priorize this one :)

Cool beans, I'll have a dig around the RIO texture files and see what the options are. Hopefully include in the next revision.

Cheers,

Brick.

Oculus Rift S | VKB GF Pro Mk.II+MCG Pro (rotary wing) | BRD DS-Raven (fixed wing) | MFG Crosswind V2 | Jetseat+SSA/SSM | SimLab GT1 80/20 Rig | NLR Motion Platform V3 | Quad Bass Shaker Setup

DIY Control Panels: 'White Rhino' Throttle | UFC | MFBB Left | MFBB Right | MFBB Centre | WEP-TECH ACP | HYD-MECH LDG | SYS-ELEC | AN/ARC Radio

Nice mod buddy, makes it much easier to scan your caution panel in VR!

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mod Updated to v0.2

Hey all,

Mod updated to v0.2, see 1st post for link

Pilot pit is now pretty much complete!

- All pilot pit panels reworked and finished.

- RIO Weapon Select Dial - Increased size and contrast of font (still rather small as there's only so much wiggle room with a texture that tight, but more readable than before).

- Fixed a few alpha channel (back-lighting) mistakes on DCP from initial release.

I'll be moving straight onto the RIO pit next...I haven't spent a great deal of time in the back seat, so if there's any suggestion from those in the know - I'm all ears to hear which areas would be top of the list.

In time I'll head back to the front seat for a few tweaks (see what's possible with some of the gauges and dials, etc).

Also, a question for anyone who's using the mod - What are the thoughts on maybe the slightest (tiny) bit of weathering/ageing to the mods panel text? At the moment it's solid flat pure-white. It's crossed my mind to just give it a touch of discolour/texture noise to help with the blending...but don't want to go full circle or get away from the whole point of this mod, which is contrast and legibility. Thoughts?

Cheers,

Brick

Edited by Fubarbrickdust

Brick Ive been using your mod and I am as happy as a pig in @#$%. If you want to do a "dirty" version go ahead, but like you said your aim was to let us "see" again. Thanks for the great effort here.

Regards

DL available skins here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=Strut

Pictures of my Skins here: https://imgur.com/a/bOQyQqW

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64bit, Intel® Core i7-5820K CPU OC @ 4.50GHz x6, X99A GAMING PRO CARBON, MSI RTX 2080 TI GAMING X TRIO 11Gb, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSD 960 EVO250GB, SSD 850 EVO 500GB, JetSeat, MFG Crosswind Pedals, VPC Mongoose T-50, TMWH, DSD ButtonBox, Pimax 5k XR/BE

Any chance there is one for the Hornet?

Hi Drac,

At the moment, not by myself, no. There may well be one out there somewhere but I’ve not come across it so far.

That’s not to rule the possibility out, mind you - it’s crossed my mind as to which of the other airframes could benefit from a similar cockpit mod and the hornet made the list. But so did the AV8-B...which will probably be the next in line if I do another.

In fairness, I’m gonna wait and see how the current mod fairs with the community and how popular this kind of mod is. It’s a lot of work to do while paying diligence to all the elements that go into a well done texture file (alpha, roughmet, norm) while trying to be mindful of the work done by the devs.

We could have one in 5 mins if all it took was opening a file and slapping on a load of Arial font text and saving...but that looks shit. Especially in the dark and then you turn the panel lights on!

Edited by Fubarbrickdust

Now that the F14 supports custom cockpit liverys is it possible for this to pass IC? do we have to change the install path?

The format and structure of the mod has to change in order to be IC compliant - I'll need to implement a description.lua and change the file structure to go in the DCS user 'saved games' folder.

I'll be starting this process tonight when I'm off work. I hope to have it updated and ready to go as soon as possible. The only thing that may cause time/hicups is the creation of the description.lua, but I've been doing research on this ahead of time.

Mod updated to v0.3 - See 1st post for details

Some small but quite notable advancements:

All pilot pit inst. & gauges have been worked on. Much more readable 'at a glance'.

BE (Black Edition) option available - All pit frame and trim in Gunmetal Grey.

v0.3 - Instruments, Gauges & Black Edition!

- All major pilot pit flight instruments & gauges have been worked on - Higher contrast, increased font size & text alterations where appropriate.

- Finalised all indication light texures and made several tweaks.

- Inclusion of BE (Black Edition) option - Cockpit trim can now come in gunmetal grey!

- Fixed a few norm & roughmet channel bugs fr om previous release.

NOTE ON PROGRESS:

Saved Games 'Custom Cockpit' availability - this is gonna have to wait a bit longer as it isn't working on the HB/ED side. They are aware and it's been submitted and acknowledged as a issue/bug.

RIO Pit - This one's gonna take a bit more time as it's an absolute beast! Main hurdle at the mo is all the multi back-lighted push buttons on the DDD/TID/HCU & CAP...It's going to be a journey of trial and error to get them all matched up and looking slick. But it will come :thumbup:

Cheers,

Brick.

Impressive. Can't wait for the description.lua in Saved Games to work. That will open up many possibilities.

Thanks for your work!

F-14B, A-10C,F-18C Lot 20, F-16C, UH-1H, SA342, Spitfire LF Mk IX, F-15C, Mig-29, Supercarrier, Nevada, Persian Gulf

i9 9900k 5.0GHz, 32GB RAM, 1080Ti, Rift S, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind pedals, Dual Monitors 4K & 1080

Every Day, Someone Uses Cute Krispy Snacks

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for this! It's a really important step for useability of the F-14 in VR.

Very, very small critique on my part: I like the fact that the fonts are slightly larger, but being a purist I don't particularly like that some wordings have been abbreviated and and the typeface is a little blocky compared to the more rounded original Tomcat font.

Great mod though and I can't wait for it to work as a custom livery.

Many other modules could benefit from a similar treatment.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

Thanks for this! It's a really important step for useability of the F-14 in VR.

Very, very small critique on my part: I like the fact that the fonts are slightly larger, but being a purist I don't particularly like that some wordings have been abbreviated and and the typeface is a little blocky compared to the more rounded original Tomcat font.

Great mod though and I can't wait for it to work as a custom livery.

Many other modules could benefit from a similar treatment.

Thanks Boris, much appreciated :thumbup:

As for the critique, these are both points I'd raised with myself when building the mod, so I do concur to a degree...

On the typeface, I totally hear you - When starting the mod I spent an entire evening searching and testing for the perfect font - I needed a rounded font that was close enough but also in a 'condensed' option to allow the text to even begin to fit...I failed to find it, unfortunately. What we have is a trade off from the best 'fit' I could find along with an AA plugin to round off the edges a bit. It was the best compromise I could find...I tested many!

As for the abbreviations - I did consider whether or not to go that route, again, for me it was a trade off to allow me to fit larger text into some places. In the end I reasoned that since I was already changing the cockpit from a true recreation to almost an 'ease of access' version, the break from authenticity had already been made. As such I saw little issue in affording myself a little more licence to meet the main objective of the mod.

The almost silly thing is...the amount of time I've spent with these textures under a microscope and all the testing - I now know the cockpit inside out and could operate it blindfolded...mod be damned!:pilotfly:

Edited by Fubarbrickdust

Just popping in to express my support for this!

Not all of us have the time to play DCS on a daily or even weekly basis so dropping into the F14 RIO seat with VR once a month is a nightmare for me!

I'm lucky I've got a competent pilot that can almost point out from memory where I need to look if I forget but for others I can imagine this being 100% necessary to be able to play.

I'm eager awaiting your RIO seat update. The light up buttons are a nightmare and I'm constantly just pressing them all in order to find the functionality I want rather than pressing the right one first time - again, because I don't play it often enough.

I've created mods myself for other games and applications to help solve similar problems so I know how hard it can be to find motivation when the work in creating the fix means you no longer personally benefit, but please do keep up the good work. It's massively appreciated by the quiet majority :)

Being able to see in VR is worth the minor loss of authenticity. By a long shot. I would pay real money for this on the Hornet. Until the higher end headsets come out, this is really fantastic and something I wish the developers had considered. Although I do get why they keep it pure.

Just popping in to express my support for this!

Not all of us have the time to play DCS on a daily or even weekly basis so dropping into the F14 RIO seat with VR once a month is a nightmare for me!

I'm lucky I've got a competent pilot that can almost point out from memory where I need to look if I forget but for others I can imagine this being 100% necessary to be able to play.

I'm eager awaiting your RIO seat update. The light up buttons are a nightmare and I'm constantly just pressing them all in order to find the functionality I want rather than pressing the right one first time - again, because I don't play it often enough.

I've created mods myself for other games and applications to help solve similar problems so I know how hard it can be to find motivation when the work in creating the fix means you no longer personally benefit, but please do keep up the good work. It's massively appreciated by the quiet majority :)

RoyMi6, thank you! :thumbup: Very kind words, and I appreciate them a lot! And I'm glad this mod is seeing life and benefit outside of my use case.

As it happens, the RIO pit is making extremely good progress! - Initially I came up against a very big wall regarding those light up buttons in question. Getting all 3 layers to match up and look cohesive seemed almost impossible (or extremely tedious slow work, which it kinda is) as the related image files are at differing resolutions so quite hard to work with fluidly.

In fact the whole RIO pit seems to be at an alternate resolution (in scale terms) from the front seat, but I've found a workflow that has shown excellent results...so we're back on track. We can expect an iterative update at least by the end of the week.

Being able to see in VR is worth the minor loss of authenticity. By a long shot. I would pay real money for this on the Hornet. Until the higher end headsets come out, this is really fantastic and something I wish the developers had considered. Although I do get why they keep it pure.

I agree regarding VR. And also about the dilemma for devs. It's a great thing DCS is mod friendly to accommodate for that grey area.

As this is my 1st experience with texture/cockpit modding I've learned an incredible amount, and also really enjoyed the process. As it stands, I've messed with the F-14 pit textures more than I've flown it but am quite happy about it...I can't BVR for shit anyhows!

I am strongly considering making "Brickdust's VR Friendy Cockpit Mod" into a series, for my own benefit as much as others as I fly VR exclusively. The shortlist so far (not necessarily in order):

- AV-8B

- F/A-18C

- M2000C (although this wont be touched until after the mid-life refresh)

- UH-1H (it's not that bad actually..but because I f**kin love this module!)

I reckon I can work out your +1 but I'd also be interested in the opinion of those that fly VR and find the benefits of the current mod. What would be on the shortlist? Which module do we think would benefit the most, first?

Cheers,

Brick.

Edited by Fubarbrickdust

As this is my 1st experience with texture/cockpit modding I've learned an incredible amount, and also really enjoyed the process. As it stands, I've messed with the F-14 pit textures more than I've flown it but am quite happy about it...I can't BVR for shit anyhows!

Welcome do Modding. :megalol:

I spend a few years to mod a Stargate Mod for Stargate Empire at War. Spend Days and nights to model and texture units in 3Ds and check them working in the game. I dont rember ever playing the game. Just mod, check, mod again. :doh::lol:

I have a small request for the pilot cockpit. Like every plane we have an analouge compass gauge with 0-360 ect. Could you add the directions on tht gauge? So N for 0, E for 90, S for 180, and W for 270?

Like on the F18 SA Page:

0h94L0r.jpg

The rason for this is that my wing start to radio on target areas like "Kittyhawk 1-1 coming in from the North, Angels 10, hot"

For me its hard to fly plane, search targets and to calculate what direction used for a heading of 223. I just a man, multitasking is not my best thing. :smilewink:

So having them on the compass would help me a lot in that situations. :)

I have a small request for the pilot cockpit. Like every plane we have an analouge compass gauge with 0-360 ect. Could you add the directions on tht gauge? So N for 0, E for 90, S for 180, and W for 270?

Hmmm...actually, that's not a terrible idea. And would be fairly pain free to implement. I'll have a play with it.

EDIT: Just had a quick play about with the texture...tried a few ideas and settled on one that keeps the numbers and also fits well, looking really natural.

EDIT 2: Just had another play...settling on this...

CompassVAN.thumb.JPG.d9ad1ddffa090861a8de99fbe81bbb12.JPG < Vanilla -- Mod > CompassMOD.thumb.JPG.1d93fa4df368691e633c0aee054270fa.JPG

Included in next release!

Thanks for the suggestion,

Brick.

Edited by Fubarbrickdust

Wow, thank you very much. You are great. :)

I give 3.0 a try for this exercise day. If had some issues to activate my tacan as pilot. The lower numbers are to big, i see no space between them, just a blurrywhite mess even with VR Zoom. I think that should me more like the original where i never encounter that problems. The problem is not that the numbers are not readable. But for me the numbers touch so its really hard to see.