Is the Tomcat the Air to Air King in DCS - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 03-26-2020, 03:02 AM   #11
Longiron

Agreed, I stick to inferno PvE, semi random encounters and if you like CAP you can support the ground pounders.
Although it's just a stop gap until we get proper dynamic online campaigns with moving front lines and resource capture/suppression.
I can dream right?
Longiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:35 AM   #12
Panther 976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus-6 View Post
No particular aircraft is necessarily the Air-to-Air "king". They all have their own strengths and weaknesses which you must learn to exploit.

"The quality of the crate matters little. Success depends on the man who sits in it."

- Manfred von Richthofen

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I couldn't find a better answer !
Panther 976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 04:00 PM   #13
Bogey Jammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_dalan View Post
Maybe there is a way to mitigate this by scripting every single Jester command so you can do it from the front seat
Interesting, but what kind of Jester command are you talking about ? What do you want to achieve more specifically ?

I only played that module during the free week-end so I can't check by myself.
МиГ-23МЛД & МЛА МиГ-27К МиГ-25 F-14A Mirage III F-4E any IJ plane 1950' Korea Dynamic campaign module
Bogey Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 01:40 PM   #14
captain_dalan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogey Jammer View Post
Interesting, but what kind of Jester command are you talking about ? What do you want to achieve more specifically ?

I only played that module during the free week-end so I can't check by myself.
Mostly fine radar scan control. Right now controlling your azimuth and elevation through the Jester RIO is pain in the <insert your most annoying body part reference here>. Single pre merge fence is doable, but a dynamic multi bandit environment....... without a human RIO, it's very clumsy and slow. There is no easy way to go look-up or look-down, nor to crank. Doing both cranking changing elevation is a no-no. Even if you don't do the trigonometry in your head and just use tables for elevation at range values, you are still 3 menus deep before you even get to chose what you need. And this is a must for a dynamic engagement. Not to mention even this wouldn't give you a direct radar steering control which a human RIO would use anyways. So good luck pointing you radar the right way at the right time.

A feature completely missing from the RIO even without the interface obstacles is the ability to resort TWS priority to the targets. Often resulting in new and much higher threat contacts being sorted lowest on the priority scale.

Part of this can remedied by incorporating some new elevation presets that would help with long and medium range engagements. But anything sub 25-35NM requires fine control.
captain_dalan is offline   Reply With Quote