Is the Tomcat the Air to Air King in DCS - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 03-26-2020, 03:02 AM   #11
Longiron

Agreed, I stick to inferno PvE, semi random encounters and if you like CAP you can support the ground pounders.
Although it's just a stop gap until we get proper dynamic online campaigns with moving front lines and resource capture/suppression.
I can dream right?
Longiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:35 AM   #12
Panther 976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus-6 View Post
No particular aircraft is necessarily the Air-to-Air "king". They all have their own strengths and weaknesses which you must learn to exploit.

"The quality of the crate matters little. Success depends on the man who sits in it."

- Manfred von Richthofen

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I couldn't find a better answer !
Panther 976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 04:00 PM   #13
Bogey Jammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_dalan View Post
Maybe there is a way to mitigate this by scripting every single Jester command so you can do it from the front seat
Interesting, but what kind of Jester command are you talking about ? What do you want to achieve more specifically ?

I only played that module during the free week-end so I can't check by myself.
МиГ-23МЛД & МЛА МиГ-27К МиГ-25 F-14A Mirage III F-4E any IJ plane 1950' Korea Dynamic campaign module
Bogey Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 01:40 PM   #14
captain_dalan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogey Jammer View Post
Interesting, but what kind of Jester command are you talking about ? What do you want to achieve more specifically ?

I only played that module during the free week-end so I can't check by myself.
Mostly fine radar scan control. Right now controlling your azimuth and elevation through the Jester RIO is pain in the <insert your most annoying body part reference here>. Single pre merge fence is doable, but a dynamic multi bandit environment....... without a human RIO, it's very clumsy and slow. There is no easy way to go look-up or look-down, nor to crank. Doing both cranking changing elevation is a no-no. Even if you don't do the trigonometry in your head and just use tables for elevation at range values, you are still 3 menus deep before you even get to chose what you need. And this is a must for a dynamic engagement. Not to mention even this wouldn't give you a direct radar steering control which a human RIO would use anyways. So good luck pointing you radar the right way at the right time.

A feature completely missing from the RIO even without the interface obstacles is the ability to resort TWS priority to the targets. Often resulting in new and much higher threat contacts being sorted lowest on the priority scale.

Part of this can remedied by incorporating some new elevation presets that would help with long and medium range engagements. But anything sub 25-35NM requires fine control.
captain_dalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 07:11 PM   #15
wilbur81

No, the Tomcat is not the Air to Air King. The Phoenix missile is.

"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."
- Faramir
wilbur81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 08:14 AM   #16
IronJockel

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur81 View Post
No, the Tomcat is not the Air to Air King. The Phoenix missile is.
Since the F14 is the only aircraft ever to carry this missile, this statement has no point.
Old 05-13-2020, 12:16 PM   #17
jojo
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJockel View Post
Since the F14 is the only aircraft ever to carry this missile, this statement has no point.
It's a point since Tomcat doesn't carry only the AIM-54.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi
jojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 05:30 PM   #18
wilbur81

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJockel View Post
I find a Sparrow-Sidewinder-Cannon armed Tomcat pretty harmless to fly against...BVR or WVR, that's my point.

"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."
- Faramir
wilbur81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 07:31 PM   #19
Sublimearrepentido

Hmmm... tbf I dont play multiplayer esp as it wouldnt be fair without a rio but..
I kick ass with sparrows sidewinders and guns.
Last mission in my dce xampaign all 4 of my.phoenixes missed. My wingmen got all the fighters. But then a bunch of backfires took off towards the carrier group. I attacked. Got 4 to sparrows and sidewinders. Another to guns. Then the mig 23s and 25s showed up. Dmgd a 23 and killed a 25 with guns (i admit thisnwas one of my best a2a ever) before a SA3 slammed into me and ended my fun.
I dont know what they did but sparrows work a lot better recently
Sublimearrepentido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 04:10 PM   #20
Harlikwin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longiron View Post
Trying to gain any sort of air dominance in MP is a waste.
Not possible with unlimited respawns and auto starts.

Turn the radar off, get her chooching at low level, close in with Awacs calls at 30nm radar on but dont even lock just point nose in general direction pump off 4 to 6 PH like your daddy pays for em them radar off and RTB.

If that air quake stuff suits you...
Air dominance really depends on the server, DDCS and BlueFlag both have "lives" on BF you get 3 in a "good" fighter, then once those are gone you can still fly bombers/helos to be useful. Or second tier point defense interceptors like the F5 or mig21.

But yes, given that the phoenix is still "active" off the "rail" the tactic you described unfortunately works rather well. Hopefully that might get addressed with the new ED missile API, but I haven't seen any announcement on it.

Its also really annoying that while the Cat can turn on its ECM, it is totally unaffected by enemy ECM, and the AWG-9 with its yugge side lobes and 1960's processing capabilities should be rather easy to jam by modern jammers, and hey, incidentally that same for the earlier variants of the phoenix. This further "buffs" the cat at the current point in time, and I don't recall ever hearing when HB plans to include jamming effects if ever.

So those two rather major "problems" make the 'Cat hugely overpowered online for BVR. WVR it seems ok to me.

Last edited by Harlikwin; 05-14-2020 at 04:19 PM.
Harlikwin is offline   Reply With Quote