Su27 - A complete guide to combat employment and tactics - Page 7 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-26-2018, 03:31 PM   #61
USA_Recon

Thank you, perfect timing for me as I've started flying red on buddyspike.

This is especially helpful where AIM120 and R77/R27ET's are banned
USA_Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 05:45 PM   #62
Accipiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santi871 View Post

Had some spare time and decided to make this. Enjoy.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By_...ew?usp=sharing

Edit: in the past few days I've updated the guide a few times with corrections, clarifications, a couple screenshots/diagrams and the radar vs EOS addendum, the link I provided will always go to the most recent version
Just wanted to say thanks for the article. I just jumped back into the SU 27 after not flying it for a while. After all the new kit, it was really good to fly this impressive sim again. The IR Optical targeting with that clever IFF trick (flash the radar on and off) is truly remarkable.

Just using what we are given weapons wise, is a challenge itself. With hilly terrain, it's entirely feasible to knock out an Eagle/Hornet armed with Amraams! Fly low, terrain mask and then pop up and bushwack em!

I wonder if there will be a full clickable cockpit version in the future?

Cheers.
Old 11-06-2019, 10:21 AM   #63
LordOrion

Great Job, thanks!
Old 11-07-2019, 01:02 AM   #64
TaxDollarsAtWork

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFire View Post
Thanks for writing and posting that, I can only imagine how much time and effort that took!

The only comment I'd make is that you describe the R-27ER as being sluggish, when it's actually anything but sluggish. It's maximum speed and acceleration values are well above anything the AIM-120 could ever hope to achieve. I've seen an R-27ER top out at over 4,200 Km/h at the point at which the sustain motor burned out. I agree that it has poor terminal performance against targets pulling a lot of G's but it's speed and acceleration are it's main and huge advantages.
I feel the author did not fully understand how to exploit those advantages in pure pursuit shots at the time of this guides writing
The author should in the future some time soon revisit that aspect of the guide
TaxDollarsAtWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 12:48 AM   #65
DarkFire
DCS Ground Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxDollarsAtWork View Post
I feel the author did not fully understand how to exploit those advantages in pure pursuit shots at the time of this guides writing
The author should in the future some time soon revisit that aspect of the guide
That would be good. The R-27ET is my favourite toy for pure pursuit shots as it gives no RWR warning, accelerates incredibly quickly and has a very viable range for that purpose. It's quite smokey but other than that it's great - same seeker as the R-73 but with a significantly increased range.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM.
DarkFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 02:49 AM   #66
Triangle3

I'm a noobie and appreciate the work you have done. Traingle3
Triangle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:21 PM   #67
ak22

Thanks for the great guide!
ak22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:48 PM   #68
amazingme

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFire View Post
That would be good. The R-27ET is my favourite toy for pure pursuit shots as it gives no RWR warning, accelerates incredibly quickly and has a very viable range for that purpose. It's quite smokey but other than that it's great - same seeker as the R-73 but with a significantly increased range.
I haven't tested the "new" 27s yet but they were the reason many of us quit flying Su27 and MiG29. The ET was useful only against unaware targets and the ER against choppers. When dealing with drivers that know their business they were plane useless. I'll have to see if there's any improvement on these chapters.
Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:
Spoiler:
2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5
amazingme is offline   Reply With Quote