Su27 - A complete guide to combat employment and tactics

Santi871

• 1 month later...

Very Helpful

I decided to come back to dcs after a long hiatus, and was previously only flying the eagle, this guide helped me a lot in understanding the flanker, and I'll be coming back to it until I get it right (; thanks Santi :thumbup:

Edited by kobeshow

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"DCS World is the main public build, it has nothing to do with being stable" -Bignewy

• 4 weeks later...

THIS IS GOOOOOD !!! :book:

Thanks Santi ... :thumbup:

Check Six!!!_:gun_sniper:_:pilotfly:

||R7-2700X||ASUS ROG STRIX-X470F Gaming||GSKILL-TridentZRGB 16GBDDR4 3200C14||CORSAIR RM 1000X||SAPPHIRE RX 7900 XTX 24GB OC||WARTHOG HOTAS||:gun_smilie:

Just returning to DCS and this article is an excellent refresher to this great aircraft.

I'd forgotten how good the IRST is. Using the vertical IR scan with lock depressed, then launching either a IR missile or a radar guided, is a good method, especially if employed from a stealthy position.

If employing a radar missile, the fact that, upon launch, it activates the radar for you, is great!

I like to keep low ( mountains if available) and strike from below.:smilewink:

Hope we can get a fully modelled DCS 27 or a mkk in future?:music_whistling:

Regards

David

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky

Just returning to DCS and this article is an excellent refresher to this great aircraft.

I'd forgotten how good the IRST is. Using the vertical IR scan with lock depressed, then launching either a IR missile or a radar guided, is a good method, especially if employed from a stealthy position.

If employing a radar missile, the fact that, upon launch, it activates the radar for you, is great!

I like to keep low ( mountains if available) and strike from below.:smilewink:

Hope we can get a fully modelled DCS 27 or a mkk in future?:music_whistling:

Regards

David

Oh yeah...

I wish for a 3d modelled SU-30 MKI...

Aah... If wishes were horses...

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk

Check Six!!!_:gun_sniper:_:pilotfly:

||R7-2700X||ASUS ROG STRIX-X470F Gaming||GSKILL-TridentZRGB 16GBDDR4 3200C14||CORSAIR RM 1000X||SAPPHIRE RX 7900 XTX 24GB OC||WARTHOG HOTAS||:gun_smilie:

;)I think the time is right for an all singing and dancing cockpit, similar to the A10c?

Or perhaps, over to the blue side, an F15c with more radar modes, like the BMS Falcon. Super Hornet.....? maybee....ya never know?:)

Edited by Accipiter

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky

• 1 month later...

Excellent work - got few tips from your guide. Didn't now about the flashing option prior to firing the R-27ET.

Thanks for the time & effort:thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i5 4690K | ASUS Z-97PRO Gaming Mobo | Nvidia Gigabyte GTX970 3.5/0.5 GB Windforce3 | G.Skill Ripjaws-X 2x8GB DDR3 1600Mhz | Samsung Evo 120GB SSD | Win10 Pro | Antec 750w 80 Bronze Modular

• 1 year later...

Excellent work,thank you so much!

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

thank you :-). I'm new to DCS and this guide looks great :-) Appreciate your work :-)

Computer Specs:

AMD Ryzen 9 3900x

Thermaltake 360 AIO Water Cooler

32GB Corsair Vengeance 3600Mhz RGB RAM

GeForce RTX 2080 Super [ NVIDIA]

512GB Adata M2 NVME (boot drive)

1TB Adata M2 NVME

1TB WD Blue SSD

Corsair RM850x Power Supply

Phanteks Enthoo Evolve Case

Samsung 43" 4K Smart TV (used as monitor)

TRACK IR 5 + Wireless DelanClip Head Tracker

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

:pilotfly::pilotfly::pilotfly::pilotfly::pilotfly::pilotfly::pilotfly:

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
r95mEpg.jpg

Had some spare time and decided to make this. Enjoy.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By_jGRnxUhnUSGNLeGNZS0R1aG8/view?usp=sharing

Edit: in the past few days I've updated the guide a few times with corrections, clarifications, a couple screenshots/diagrams and the radar vs EOS addendum, the link I provided will always go to the most recent version

Just wanted to say thanks for the article. I just jumped back into the SU 27 after not flying it for a while. After all the new kit, it was really good to fly this impressive sim again. The IR Optical targeting with that clever IFF trick (flash the radar on and off) is truly remarkable.

Just using what we are given weapons wise, is a challenge itself. With hilly terrain, it's entirely feasible to knock out an Eagle/Hornet armed with Amraams! Fly low, terrain mask and then pop up and bushwack em!

I wonder if there will be a full clickable cockpit version in the future?;)

Cheers.

• 1 year later...
Thanks for writing and posting that, I can only imagine how much time and effort that took! :thumbup:

The only comment I'd make is that you describe the R-27ER as being sluggish, when it's actually anything but sluggish. It's maximum speed and acceleration values are well above anything the AIM-120 could ever hope to achieve. I've seen an R-27ER top out at over 4,200 Km/h at the point at which the sustain motor burned out. I agree that it has poor terminal performance against targets pulling a lot of G's but it's speed and acceleration are it's main and huge advantages.

I feel the author did not fully understand how to exploit those advantages in pure pursuit shots at the time of this guides writing

The author should in the future some time soon revisit that aspect of the guide

I feel the author did not fully understand how to exploit those advantages in pure pursuit shots at the time of this guides writing

The author should in the future some time soon revisit that aspect of the guide

That would be good. The R-27ET is my favourite toy for pure pursuit shots as it gives no RWR warning, accelerates incredibly quickly and has a very viable range for that purpose. It's quite smokey but other than that it's great - same seeker as the R-73 but with a significantly increased range.

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

• 4 months later...
That would be good. The R-27ET is my favourite toy for pure pursuit shots as it gives no RWR warning, accelerates incredibly quickly and has a very viable range for that purpose. It's quite smokey but other than that it's great - same seeker as the R-73 but with a significantly increased range.

I haven't tested the "new" 27s yet but they were the reason many of us quit flying Su27 and MiG29. The ET was useful only against unaware targets and the ER against choppers. When dealing with drivers that know their business they were plane useless. I'll have to see if there's any improvement on these chapters.

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5