[REPORTED]POINT Track aim point for Mk82 always short

LastRifleRound

Track attached.

Target is BRDM80. Weapon is Mk82 dropped in pairs. Target is locked in PTRK, lased (for ranging. Not sure if this is necessary. It is in the A10 so I do it here), and designated (with TDC depress). 4 passes shown on same vehicles with same conditions, level release between 6500-7500ft AGL.

Bombs always land in the exact same spot short of the target, thus not random dispersion error. Bombs are precise, not accurate.

EDIT:

Compared this against using the same aimpoint to drop JDAM in TOO mode to see if it was an aimpoint/designation issue, or an error in the AUTO bombing algorithm. The problem is with AUTO mode. It always drops short, regardless of track mode. You can designate a spot, drop mk82, they land short. Drop a JDAM in TOO on the same point, direct hit.

EDIT:

This affect is directly related to altitude. The lower you are, the less short the bombs fall, until you get below 3000ft, wherein the bombs will be bang-on. This is why CCIP works so well, you are always a lower altitude when dropping, so CCIP MAY be effected as well, so not sure if it affects both bomb modes. So, as of right now, I can confirm AUTO mode is bugged above 5000ft AGL, as instead of random dispersal issues (indicative of a larger WEC due to innacurate bombing methods), the mode always drops the bombs short in the exact same spot.

FINAL EDIT:

Isolated the issue. You must manually select AUTO mode for you bombs before designating a target (the system will automatically switch to AUTO mode if you haven't selected it already). If you let it automatically switch to AUTO mode, your bombs will always be short. So, at least there's a work around for this at the moment.

hornet_short.trk

Edited by LastRifleRound

• ED Team

Thank you for your report and excellent tracks showing the issue.

I have asked the team to investigate further, I also notice a difference.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Here are two tracks to show the same conditions on the same target. track "Hornet_miss" shows not setting AUTO manually, track "Hornet_hit" shows manually switching to AUTO. This test was repeated 5 times with the same results. Definitely a bug.

I tried Auto and CCIP drops after today's update. I definitely think there's an issue with Auto.

I used Mk82's and Mk83's in pairs. No pod, I placed waypoints on top of targets (hangers), made sure elevation is correct and canceled the wind. (The wind correction actually works good)

Regardless of when I set the bombs to Auto they always hit short. First I did a level delivery at 4k then from a 15 deg dive at 500 kts. Same results.

CCIP on the other hand worked great. The impacts were always within acceptable radius.

I tried Auto and CCIP drops after today's update. I definitely think there's an issue with Auto.

I used Mk82's and Mk83's in pairs. No pod, I placed waypoints on top of targets (hangers), made sure elevation is correct and canceled the wind. (The wind correction actually works good)

Regardless of when I set the bombs to Auto they always hit short. First I did a level delivery at 4k then from a 15 deg dive at 500 kts. Same results.

CCIP on the other hand worked great. The impacts were always within acceptable radius.

In Auto there was a bug if the designation was made with the HUD. WYPT Designate worked ok.

Don't know if that got fixed.

So I don't know if Bignewy and company got to read the last part of the OP, but he/she says that the issue lays in whether you manually set AUTO or let the TGT set it for you. "Isolated the issue. You must manually select AUTO mode for you bombs before designating a target (the system will automatically switch to AUTO mode if you haven't selected it already). If you let it automatically switch to AUTO mode, your bombs will always be short. So, at least there's a work around for this at the moment. "

Stay safe

• ED Team

We have and already fixed internally, hopefully ready for next patch.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

You know what? That's happened to me as well. I tried setting AUTO manually and the results were still the same. I was using WPDSG instead of TGP so despite being very happy about what Bignewy just said, I can't help thinking that maybe there were two bugs moving around this topic and we didn't know. Don't take this the wrong way, I'm happy that the team fixed the issue, I'm just thinking outloud.

Stay safe

You know what? That's happened to me as well. I tried setting AUTO manually and the results were still the same. I was using WPDSG instead of TGP so despite being very happy about what Bignewy just said, I can't help thinking that maybe there were two bugs moving around this topic and we didn't know. Don't take this the wrong way, I'm happy that the team fixed the issue, I'm just thinking outloud.

I actually didn't test a waypoint designation, so that would be another bug. I will test dropping in auto with only a waypoint designation next.

• 4 weeks later...