1.5.8 and 2.2.0 to 2.5 transition Discussion

USSR_Rik

Just in case, the updater seeks for the installed versions in the registry, the paths are expected to be in:

"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Eagle Dynamics\\DCS World 2 OpenAlpha"

"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Eagle Dynamics\\DCS World OpenBeta"

"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Eagle Dynamics\\DCS World"

string value "Path".

I have none of these entries in my registry. Why would that be?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the reg file, the version of openalpha says 1.5 ... is that correct?

Thanks

I wondered that as well.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I have none of these entries in my registry. Why would that be?

I believe that happens when you reinstall windows but keep your previous dcs folder intact, that is you dont reinstall dcs from scratch.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

No pressure BUT…

Won’t put any pressure on the Guys in the ED Team. :(

But (unofficial) Release Day is Friday and the last Friday in January is the 26. :smartass:

So I canceled all Dates for the Weekend because 2.5 may be better than 10 times s….

sitting together with a beautiful Women and drinking some wine. :lol:

So I still hope to see the hills and bushes of the Caucasus THIS weekend instead. :pilotfly:

Come on Guys get my some HOPE !!! :thumbup:

Always happy landings ;)

But (unofficial) Release Day is Friday and the last Friday in January is the 26. :smartass:

So I canceled all Dates for the Weekend because 2.5 may be better than 10 times s….

So I still hope to see the hills and bushes of the Caucasus THIS weekend instead. :pilotfly:

2.5 will be released on 31.01.2018 on the open beta branch.

ED, regarding:

If I'm updating 1.5 standard and I also have 2.2 will it copy the options.lua across from 2.2 to the updated 1.5>>2.5 version? In other words, do I really have to recreate all my old 2.2 options again?

Options.lua file stores only info about your gfx, sound, gameplay options etc., so re-adjusting shouldn't take you more than what, 2-3 minutes?

It's good habit to remove this file everytime some big patch affecting gfx comes to avoid performance/visual quality drops.

Your controller settings are stored elsewhere, so don't worry about these.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Yea!!!! It's better than the hills and bushes of a woman :D.

2.5 will be released on 31.01.2018 on the open beta branch.

Which timezone, I am trying to align some annual leave :) ?

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

Which timezone, I am trying to align some annual leave :) ?

Updates usally arrive somewhere in the late afternoon, european time.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I'm a little disappointed 2.5-Open Beta is being released on the 31st and not the full (non-beta) release. For me, it would be better to release the Open Beta earlier, get feedback, resolve bugs and still have the final hit "release version" on 1/31. To me, this is not meeting the 1/31 date; but my expectations could be out of wack.

Oh well, it is what it is... it'll be here sooner than later!

• Like 1

I also think they should launch the stable version by end of january. But we should keep in mind it was not a deadline, it was an estimate. ED is not bound by anything to meet deadlines or promises specially keeping in mind that we have not been charged anything. Its a free update. So its ok if they take their time. Wheneven it comes it will be awsome.

I don't care, I just purchased a new rig just for a DCS 2.5.

i7-8700k (no reason to get anything else at the moment) + 2x 1080Ti + 64GB RAM.

That is dedicated DCS rig with bare bones, stuffed under a pilot seat.

But I don't mind as I am currently downloading 1.5 Open Beta to it.

While current a i7-8700k + 1080Ti + 32GB RAM has performance issues with 2.2 and 1.5 in VR, as likely I will have as well on the VR rig as well.

Downloading something is easy, you just leave computer run for couple hours and that's it. Like I started to download the DCS just after started typing this reply and I have already 21%. Need just to download additional modules afterwards.

BUT what worries me more is that when I need to activate the DCS modules in the new DCS rig? As the current system has the keys but it is still 1.5 and 2.2, so no worries there to waste keys, but as point is to finally delete DCS from this old rig and move DCS operations for new DCS rig, it means new activations...

So what modules really get a new DCS DRM system tied to ED account, so I can finally just forget all the key counts?

I totally understand people troubles when when they have slow speed internet connection, or even worse, are behind a counter of bits.... So downloading even extra gigabyte can be wasted time. But for many that ain't the case, but the keys are.

And here we go... 57% downloaded...

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I also think they should launch the stable version by end of january. But we should keep in mind it was not a deadline, it was an estimate. ED is not bound by anything to meet deadlines or promises specially keeping in mind that we have not been charged anything. Its a free update. So its ok if they take their time. Wheneven it comes it will be awsome.

What's up with this stable/open beta thing?

I was totally prepared that we get a early access/open alpha/beta at 31.1.2017 23:59:00 and then stable final release 2018 period.

If pre-release would have come before that, GREAT SURPRISE!

If stable-release would come then, GREAT SURPRISE!

But preparing that we have to wait end of 2018 is just easy.... And it is far more nicer to be surprised gladly, than be desperate all the time about "some broken promise".

What's up with this stable/open beta thing?

I was totally prepared that we get a early access/open alpha/beta at 31.1.2017 23:59:00 and then stable final release 2018 period.

If pre-release would have come before that, GREAT SURPRISE!

If stable-release would come then, GREAT SURPRISE!

But preparing that we have to wait end of 2018 is just easy.... And it is far more nicer to be surprised gladly, than be desperate all the time about "some broken promise".

What part of my post seems desperate. Read it again.

FYI I do not believe 2.5 utilizes SLI (could be wrong), I certainly know 2.2 does not.

Just prepare that 2018 they start to investing to Vulkan, when we get more than 1 core from CPU and better GPU utilization.... At that point older systems should work far better when 1 core ain't running 100%.

But that ain't point of this, as it is just in the future of 2.5.x series but some can guess what to come and prepare for this transition already.

Technically no, it was not an estimate but a promise by Wags himself.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3327673&postcount=733

In my mind, if Open Beta is released first on the 31st then he is meeting this promise.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

What part of my post seems desperate. Read it again.

It wasn't directly to you, but to everyone who is so worried about these transitions.

Key thing is: If you have DCS keys in registry, DO NOT UNINSTALL DCS or deactivate anything. Just update or do a fresh install and then you can throw all old away.

Then if some has too little storage space, they need to carefully plan their DCS procedure what to keep and when.

Technically no, it was not an estimate but a promise by Wags himself.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3327673&postcount=733

In my mind, if Open Beta is released first on the 31st then he is meeting this promise.

yes but people who dont have 1.5 beta will have to wait for 2 or 3 more weeks. but its ok. Lets enjoy the old 1.5.8 untill then. It has entertained us for so long. let it be a few more weeks. :megalol:

yes but people who dont have 1.5 beta will have to wait for 2 or 3 more weeks. but its ok. Lets enjoy the old 1.5.8 untill then. It has entertained us for so long. let it be a few more weeks. :megalol:

Not necessarily, if they only have 1.5 Stable Release it can easily be converted to Open Beta - at least as I understand I myself have never done this procedure though. Might be a good option for those that only have the stable version but want to get 2.5 asap.

I myself will have to do some serious cleaning out of my games SSD to make room for 2.5.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

...But preparing that we have to wait end of 2018 is just easy.... And it is far more nicer to be surprised gladly, than be desperate all the time about "some broken promise".

Yeah, I fully disagree with you. ED stated:

Given this, we will be releasing DCS World 2.5 by the end of January 2018. This is not an estimate, this is a promise.

"Releasing", in this context, sounds an a lot like a production-ready product. I think this is a slight fault on ED's part. They should have stated, "Releasing to Open Beta - additional details to follow" or something to give just a tad bit more detail to make sure everyone's expectations are aligned. I work in Project Management/Delivery and ensuring everyone's expectations are aligned is the single most important aspect.

With that said, it might not matter. My only fear is that the community is already separated between multiple versions of the same game... I hope that won't be the case with a buggy Open Beta. Of course, it might not be buggy, but "beta" always means bugs, to me.

On the reg file, the version of openalpha says 1.5 ... is that correct?

Thanks

Anyone?

It would be good if someone who has the release, alpha and beta installed could please confirm what these version numbers should look like, or if ED could confirm if it is even used or if it is only looking for the path?

We have pretty poor Internet down here in Australia (we recently ranked behind Kazakhstan!) so I really don't want to have to download more than I need to.

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai