Two Questions

1. If fired i fire an AIM-54 in PD-STT, will the target get a launch warning?

2. Why does the RIO's "Mic Button UHF2 (ARC-182)" not bring up the ARC-182 radio menu but instead switches the radio that Mic Button UHF1 uses? The pilot has access to both radios with one keybind for each, the RIO has one button for radio and one that switches between radios

(I lied, 3 questions ;), can we get a Questions & Answers Thread?)

1. The target will be getting told its locked as you are in STT not TWS, it'll probably assume there is a missile in the air and react accordingly.

2. can't answer that one I'm afraid....

I've been told that if an aim120 is fired in STT the target will get a warning at launch and at pitbull. Any idea why this is different with the aim 54?

I've been told that if an aim120 is fired in STT the target will get a warning at launch and at pitbull. Any idea why this is different with the aim 54?

Id assume the target would get a launch indication due to the phoenix being launched semi active in stt. I would assume it would switch the radar to a guidance mode (cw?) similar to the aim-7. I also thought the aim-120 acted in the same manner and that it would only not indicate launch if the missile was launched in tws. I could be wrong..

2. Why does the RIO's "Mic Button UHF2 (ARC-182)" not bring up the ARC-182 radio menu but instead switches the radio that Mic Button UHF1 uses? The pilot has access to both radios with one keybind for each, the RIO has one button for radio and one that switches between radios

The RIO has two radio buttons which are not really buttons, but foot pedals. One pedal for intercom (ICS) and one for the radio. Which radio (UHF-1 or -2) is being used is determined by the radio select switch on the lefthand panel.

Id assume the target would get a launch indication due to the phoenix being launched semi active in stt. I would assume it would switch the radar to a guidance mode (cw?) similar to the aim-7. I also thought the aim-120 acted in the same manner and that it would only not indicate launch if the missile was launched in tws. I could be wrong..

Both, the AIM-120 as well as the AIM-54 (and later AIM-7 versions like the M and the F) are initially guided by data link when fired in STT, so there should not be a warning for the target. Only when their own radar seekers go active (or the launching aircraft's radar switches to continious wave in case of the AIM-7), the target should get a warning that there is a missile incoming.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg