JDAM and "ball and chain"

Gianky

Hi there!

I couldn't yet download the new OB patch, so I couldn't try myself what I'm about to ask.

From what I've seen/read around, using JDAMs, even in TOO, right now, pretty much involves to know the exact coordinates of your targets; which seems to be pretty in contrast with the "target of opportunity" name of said mode.

So, I'm wondering: is it possible to designated a point on the ground with the "ball and chain", in auto mode, than switch to JDAMs to attack it? Anyone tried that?

I tried this. It would designate a target. The coordinates would show on the JDAM page. But I couldn't get the bomb to actually drop.

And even if you could get it to drop I don't see how you would ever be able to get accurate enough using the HUD.

I tried this. It would designate a target. The coordinates would show on the JDAM page. But I couldn't get the bomb to actually drop.

And even if you could get it to drop I don't see how you would ever be able to get accurate enough using the HUD.

I actually tried that in VR and it was "fairly" accurate. It was a pain to play with TDC (Warthog).

The only way I could get TDC into HUD was by designating a waypoint as target somewhere in the combat area. (I'm too impatient for converting/inverting/recalculating and typing in my current VR setup)

Now... fully functioning JHMCS a/g targeting or marking would work wonders in dynamic environment. Then again... I wouldn't really need JDAMS for most of the scenarios.

Thanks for your answers, guys, good to know it can be done, while we wait for the Litening (sooner or later I'll manage to update...)

I'm with Gripes on this one, I think it can be fairly accurate, if you can find the target (I'm thinking about GAW), the only problem I see is that to be as accurate as possible in designating the target, you have to be pretty close to it and risking being fired upon, which kinda defeat the purpose of precision ammunitions.

maybe things will change with a targeting pod

It'll surely be different with TGP, it'll be like with the A-10C, where you pass coordinates of a target to the JDAM designating it with the Litening.