Mission #1 - confused!

I know there is another post on a similar topic, but I am confused by this mission, and I'm sure it is down to my ignorance and partially lack of combat skill!

I have tried this mission a few times now, and am finding it frustrating.

Firstly, I fly in formation and often, by the time we reach the hoards of enemy planes, I often just lose all power. The low pressure light comes on, and that is it for me! No banging at the hand wobble makes any difference. (And yes, I have the fuel pump near the throttle switched on.)

Secondly, what on earth is wrong with the graphics in Normandy? They look like a poor resolution jpg. (See attached to see the boundary between detail and flat.)

Thirdly, if I ever have reached the enemy squadrons, I get shot down almost immediately, and after around 30 minutes of flying to get there, this is a perfect reason for the often asked for 'save mission' facility. Now I know that wouldn't be realistic, especially in a campaign, but still, I'm sure some kind of arrangement could be worked out.

I'll persevere, but any help on the engine low fuel pressure issue would be appreciated.

Edited by imacken

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Did you check fuel level and switch on the supplementary fuel tank? (right of your seat)?

might also be overcooling of oil ( check temps)

textures are indeed horrible as this mission is very far of the detailed part of the map

lastly, if you exit mission after ten minutes, you will get success and progress in campaign.

Good luck, you will be rewarded for perseverance when you lead 24 spits to defend 72 b-17 against hords of fw and me. (reading the book chapter before every mission adds a lot imho)

Details:

Asus Z-170E, Intel i5-6600K @ 4.2GHz, 16GB RAM

MSI GTX970 Gaming 4G

Win 10 Home

Hi,

I saw you left your FUEL PUMP on. Good.

First question: After takeoff, do you turn your Auxiliary fuel tank fuel cock to ON and the main fuel cock to OFF?

Then, before engaging, do you turn it back to the main tank? (Turning the Main FUel Cock to ON, the Auxiliary fuel cock to Off and jettison the drop tank)

Sounds like fuel starvation. I don't know if it is because you dried the main tank or if you tried to dogfight with the drop tank on (which does not accept negative G).

Also pay attention to your oil temperature.

I agree with gabuzomeu, reading the book before each mission adds a lot of immersion.

Good luck,

Sydy

Hi imacken!

As for the engine problems, there can be several causes:

- overcooling

- running out of fuel in the drop tank, when the main cock is not on

- same the other way around

- fuel pump not on (are you sure you switched the right one on?)

I'd suspect overcooling. I reported this towards ED, since the fixed the Spit's overheating issues, it overcools at cruise settings. See here:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=215116

As for the textures: the parts on the edge of the map are low res. Still, when the historical location of the mission was at one of these places I chose historical accuracy over moving the whole thing to a good looking part. I added lots of clouds too, so in a melee at 20k feet it shouldn't bother you much. I think it's still better than having all missions going to Caen and back. It's a compromise we have to make.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having a problem with fuel as well. Engine cuts out and the fuel pressure light comes on.

While losing altitude, I hit the fuel wobble until the low pressure light goes out, then did an engine restart and carried on with the mission.

This happened twice in the same mission, at about 20k altitude, but I was able to complete the mission and fly home, so lack of fuel was not the problem. Oil and rad temps were very low. How do I prevent this? Radiator only has two settings: Open and Auto (I was set to Auto).

Any advice would be appreciated. :)

I'm having a problem with fuel as well. Engine cuts out and the fuel pressure light comes on.

While losing altitude, I hit the fuel wobble until the low pressure light goes out, then did an engine restart and carried on with the mission.

This happened twice in the same mission, at about 20k altitude, but I was able to complete the mission and fly home, so lack of fuel was not the problem. Oil and rad temps were very low. How do I prevent this? Radiator only has two settings: Open and Auto (I was set to Auto).

Any advice would be appreciated. :)

Mango,

Did you leave the Fuel Pump On all the time? This solves the problem.

Good luck,

Sydy

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hay Guys,

a bit different, still Mission 1 tough: after taking off, all other aircrafts just seem to circle around the airfield aimlessly, formations and colors totally mixed, if I find and join Turban Red 1, nothing happens, they keep on circling. What should I do to make the formation at least take heading to the rendevous point?

Or maybe some update messed it up? Or what is the trigger?

Thanks

• 2 months later...