f14b and gps?

eatthis

just found this snippet off tinternet, if its true are hb planning to put gps on the b??

With the addition of the LANTIRN in the early 90s, and later with GPS for the B and D Tomcat models, it was a very viable air-to-ground platform.

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr

The version of the B HB have modeled for us predates any sort of integrated GPS by about half a decade.

ok, cant wait for a d then lol most of my squadmates use the hornet and we mainly do atg, therye annoying me lol

Well then grab one of your sqauddies by the neck and toss him in the back seat. The F-14 we have can carry an equal or greater tonnage of bombs further than a Hornet can.

The only unique things the Big A little f crowd have are JDAM and standoff weapons (i.e. the boring ones)

The version of the B HB have modeled for us predates any sort of integrated GPS by about half a decade.

Not entirely true. Our F-14B does have some kind of GPS: The LANTIRN!

The LANTIRN has a GPS reciever of its own and while it is not tied into the F-14 NAV system you can still manually use the GPS-coordinates provided by the LANTIRN.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

The LANTIRN has a GPS reciever of its own and while it is not tied into the F-14 NAV system you can still manually use the GPS-coordinates provided by the LANTIRN.

I More Than Second That Vote for the Panavia Tornado. Bith versions, IDS and the specialized ground attack. I want to do some NOE under the radar flying. Its a rush. Im not wrong...……..

Joe

I More Than Second That Vote for the Panavia Tornado. Bith versions, IDS and the specialized ground attack. I want to do some NOE under the radar flying. Its a rush. Im not wrong...……..

Joe

What does a thread asking if our F-14 has an EGI have to do when bargain rate F-111 impersonators?

Does that mean one could use the LANTIRN pod to generate coordinate correction points for the main INS on the fly?

In the book Black Aces High, they talk about VF-41 operating the Tomcat (A model, but with LANTIRN) during Operation Allied Force (Kosovo 1999). They mention that squadron officers had purchased off the shelf Garmin handheld GPS units and they flew with them to help them with navigation.

A handheld GPS was also partly responsible for this humorous fiasco.

What exactly happened here?

30+ years virtual pilot.

F-14B Driver. (Looking for a RIO)

33 years Model Aviation.

776036 #776036

FAA #FA3YTWPLMK

30+ years flight sims

-Alienware Desktop With constantly changing specs -Track IR 5 -Thrusmasters Warthog HOTAS #55179 -Saitek Pro Combat Rudder Pedals

Funny enough we do have a gps we can use the garmin that can be used with the mi8 and uh1 don’t know if you can have it with Tomcat.

Not yet... I’m unsure if we will be able to in the future.

30+ years virtual pilot.

33 years Model Aviation.

776036 #776036

FAA #FA3YTWPLMK

30+ years flight sims

-Alienware Desktop With constantly changing specs -Track IR 5 -Thrusmasters Warthog HOTAS #55179 -Saitek Pro Combat Rudder Pedals

What exactly happened here?

30+ years virtual pilot.

33 years Model Aviation.

776036 #776036

FAA #FA3YTWPLMK

Edited the video so it works.

1st comment on the vid (did not verify): "12.08.1997: The pilot of the F-14B was accidentally ejected from the aircraft during a landing aboard USS John C. Stennis. It's said that the Rio had an older GPS system they used to clip to the handle on top of their console. He hadn't stowed it prior to arrestment and during the violent stop from the hook/wire the GPS system got thrown forward from momentum and hit the pilots rocket motor iniator which bypassed the whole ejection system (pilot never touched the ejection handles ...) Next thing the pilot went THROUGH the canopy! He was recovered from the water by helicopter. Stennis personnel rescued the RIO from the pilotless aircraft as it sat on the flight deck with engines still running. Aircraft was repaired and is back in service."

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Edited the video so it works.

1st comment on the vid (did not verify): "12.08.1997: The pilot of the F-14B was accidentally ejected from the aircraft during a landing aboard USS John C. Stennis. It's said that the Rio had an older GPS system they used to clip to the handle on top of their console. He hadn't stowed it prior to arrestment and during the violent stop from the hook/wire the GPS system got thrown forward from momentum and hit the pilots rocket motor iniator which bypassed the whole ejection system (pilot never touched the ejection handles ...) Next thing the pilot went THROUGH the canopy! He was recovered from the water by helicopter. Stennis personnel rescued the RIO from the pilotless aircraft as it sat on the flight deck with engines still running. Aircraft was repaired and is back in service."

:megalol::megalol::megalol::megalol::megalol::megalol:

i wonder how much dogshit the pilot had to fly out of hongkong before he allowed back on the boat

:megalol::megalol::megalol::megalol::megalol::megalol:

i wonder how much dogshit the pilot had to fly out of hongkong before he allowed back on the boat

None, as it was the fault of the RIO.

Did the Pilot survived?

Must be pretty bad...

You trap and then get shot out through the canopy and have no idea whats going on...

Imagine this would happen in THAT SECOND you are sitting in front of the computer now...

Pretty bad...

Steam user - Youtube

I am for quality over quantity in DCS modules

Joe

There is no "under the radar" in the DCS.

Ask from helicopter pilots who are all seen and all detected from any altitude at any given distance.

The trees do not block radar, there is no ground clutter, there is no problems of any radar seeing you at low level.

Why you can't fly NOE on helicopter nor strike aircraft.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Does that mean one could use the LANTIRN pod to generate coordinate correction points for the main INS on the fly?

Yeah, see here and here.

There is no "under the radar" in the DCS.

Ask from helicopter pilots who are all seen and all detected from any altitude at any given distance.

The trees do not block radar, there is no ground clutter, there is no problems of any radar seeing you at low level.

Why you can't fly NOE on helicopter nor strike aircraft.

You can fly "under the radar" in DCS, because radar can't go through the ground, so as long as you fly low enough to keep some elevated terrain (or the horizon) between you and the radar site, you can avoid the radar by flying NOE.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

None, as it was the fault of the RIO.

Did the Pilot survived?

Must be pretty bad...

You trap and then get shot out through the canopy and have no idea whats going on...

Imagine this would happen in THAT SECOND you are sitting in front of the computer now...

Pretty bad...

Pilot was fine. Bruised ego is probably the worst of it. The RIO probably got his ass chewed on by the skipper, though. It's one of those situations that is hilarious only because no one got killed and the aircraft wasn't lost.

DCSF-14AOK3A.jpg

DCSF14AOK3B.png