A/A Radar and JHMCS Feedback Welcome

Wags

• ED Team

Dear all,

A big part of this open beta, and why we had no Release version update last week, was to put to bed the Hornet A/A radar issues. In particular, the dreaded 8-degree scan, wonky bar and azimuth settings in A/A mode, stuck B-Sweep, and bad-hair day ACM modes in some aspect angle conditions. We are eager to hear your feedback.

We also want to hear your feedback on the new HMD radar information and HACQ/LACQ JHMCS features. Note, cockpit (not just HUD) blanking and out of gimbal indication will be in the next OB update.

Thanks!

Matt

Edited by Wags

It's awesome! There is one thing I can't seem to do and hopefully others can replicate. If I have an AIM-120 selected and lock up a bandit with HACQ and after lock, I switch to the AIM-9X, I can't uncage the seeker on the radar lock.

Thanks, Wags.

i7-7700k OC'd to 5.0 GHz, ASUS 1080ti OC, 32 GB 3200 MHz G.Skill, Samsung 960 pro M.2, Thrustmaster Warthog, Saitek pedals, Valve Index HMD

• ED Team
It's awesome! There is one thing I can't seem to do and hopefully others can replicate. If I have an AIM-120 selected and lock up a bandit with HACQ and after lock, I switch to the AIM-9X, I can't uncage the seeker on the radar lock.

Thanks, Wags.

Please create a bug report in the Bugs sub-forum with a track and we'll take a look.

Friday i will be back home and i am eager to try and report back.

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Please create a bug report in the Bugs sub-forum with a track and we'll take a look.

Wilco - when I get back to the computer.

i7-7700k OC'd to 5.0 GHz, ASUS 1080ti OC, 32 GB 3200 MHz G.Skill, Samsung 960 pro M.2, Thrustmaster Warthog, Saitek pedals, Valve Index HMD

Loving the HAQC mode, very clean and easy! I especially love how you can watch the B-sweep and elevation carat on the radar page move with your head, awesome detail!

One question I've got is: does Boresight mode become overridden while JHMCS is active? Sometimes it feels like when the JHMCS is blanked while looking through the HUD it has a little bit of a harder time acquiring a lock while looking directly at a target (I may just need to switch to HAQC mode though).

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

Hello, first of all I'd like to thank the developers for the work they've done on the JHMCS and the radar.

Couple issues I've noticed, first the selected weapon type on the JHMCS being wrong with almost all weapons (I tried AIM-7 shows as AB, AIM-120 shows as BT, AIM-9X shows as 9M, HUD AG is fine though) but you are already aware of this one. Second issue was the radar loosing lock on targets at medium range (35nm) for no reason that I could find, it was on a multiplayer server, a user made a bug report :

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=225255

This didn't happen when engaging (15nm and less) although I'll have to check for another bug, if my sparrows tracked or not.

Regards,

Rex.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry if this has been covered, but I just want to make sure I can make use of the switch I currently have bound...so, there's no more Auto Acquisition (AACQ) since the JHMCS takes care of that now? Thanks

I think you have to use that to lock things straight ahead of you with JHMCS enabled...

Radar as a whole seems waaay better.

Edited by StandingCow

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

Bit confused by the question - AACQ is sensor select right and still has both the functions it already had (you can use it to lock the first contact on the radar if your TDC isn't over anything, or you can lock up specific bricks with it). Even if you don't use it for AACQ, it will still be used to put TDC priority to the right DDI.

Maybe he meant boresight ACM mode? The same button for boresight is used for JHMCS HACQ (press) and LACQ (hold and release), so you don't get a button back there either (and it's used to put the TDC priority to the HUD, so you wouldn't have been able to remap it anyway).

Mod dudes. That was not wish list content. That was legit feedback that Wags specifically created this thread for.

My feedback is that the JHMCS is illegibly washed out when looking towards the horizon. That's all it is. Feedback. If JHMCS brightness is realistic then leave it as is. If it's not, you know, do whatever.

Jesus.

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

I have an annoying bug where the JHCMS info is duplicated in the hud, with only a few degrees of separations, when the JHCMS is active but blanked. Some symbology is duplicated, or gets stuck somewhere in the hud.

It's noticeable enough that i switch off and on the HMD everytime i need to look at the hud

I have an annoying bug where the JHCMS info is duplicated in the hud, with only a few degrees of separations, when the JHCMS is active but blanked. Some symbology is duplicated, or gets stuck somewhere in the hud.

It's noticeable enough that i switch off and on the HMD everytime i need to look at the hud

I have noticed this as well. Not too annoying but im sure its not in the real horney.

Joe

:helpsmilie:

I have noticed this as well. Not too annoying but im sure its not in the real horney.

I think it's because the 'middle' of the JHMCS is a bit high, so if you look straight at the HUD it doesn't blank out - it does if you look down a little bit though. Wags said they're working on JHMCS cockpit blanking next so it'll probably get sorted when that gets improved.

There still is one way to break the radar, antenna elevation and B-scan center namely, but luckily though it's not something that you would do very often if ever by accident. Funnily though before the latest patch this method could be used to "fix" radar issues like stuck antenna elevation but now it just breaks it. :D

Bug report here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=225295

EDIT: Forgot to say that apart from this issue radar seems very solid now. :thumbup:

Edited by Kapsu

Bit confused by the question - AACQ is sensor select right and still has both the functions it already had (you can use it to lock the first contact on the radar if your TDC isn't over anything, or you can lock up specific bricks with it). Even if you don't use it for AACQ, it will still be used to put TDC priority to the right DDI.

Maybe he meant boresight ACM mode? The same button for boresight is used for JHMCS HACQ (press) and LACQ (hold and release), so you don't get a button back there either (and it's used to put the TDC priority to the HUD, so you wouldn't have been able to remap it anyway).

For awhile the AACQ was not being enabled by Castle Right which is how I had it bound...it is now, sorry for the confusion...but it makes you wonder if some of these other ACM modes is just a redundancy...so I'm sure there's a difference between Boresight and AACQ, but I just don't see it especially with HACQ and LACQ which are now also added to the methods of tracking...maybe we need more :thumbup:

my feedback is add an option to control the antenna elevation axis with absolute axis position, as suggested here:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=224115&page=2

Rafael

Ryzen 7 1800x @ 4ghz | MSI GTX 980ti | 32gb DDR4 Ballistix 2400Mhz | Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero (wi-fi) | 480Gb Kingston NVMe ssd | Western Digital 1TB x2 | EVGA 850w PSU | Noctua NH-D14 | NZXT S240 | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | 4k 50" Philips android TV | Dell P2418D | Oculus Rift S | Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas

For awhile the AACQ was not being enabled by Castle Right which is how I had it bound...it is now, sorry for the confusion...but it makes you wonder if some of these other ACM modes is just a redundancy...so I'm sure there's a difference between Boresight and AACQ, but I just don't see it especially with HACQ and LACQ which are now also added to the methods of tracking...maybe we need more :thumbup:

Each one serves a purpose.

For instance HACQ only scans out to 5 NM; whereas LACQ goes out to 10NM. Now you may be aware of that already and wondering why...

Hopefully this tidbit can shed some light. When you have an aircraft that falls within the 5NM threshold you can use HACQ to get a faster lock. I'm not sure if that is truly modeled in game or not. The aircraft systems know how quickly radar energy should return for a <= 5NM target and it will ignore all other energy returns.

The radar itself doesn't just send out enough energy to reach 5NM and then it disappears if nothing is detected. This allows the computer system to focus on closer objets, track and lock onto them faster.

This also helps if there is a "furball" going on and you want it to basically lock onto the closest target to you.

When you switch to LACQ mode, your radar and subsequent systems have to scan more sky and process more data to lock and track targets. To us it all happens fast, to a computer it's night and day difference.

The non-JHMCS ACM modes all have a similar purpose.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

Actually was just thinking about that very same matter.

By the way, bought the Hornet yesterday and... what an outstanding module !

After some reading, I managed to get using my favourite systems / features, which are preciselly the several AIM-9 modes / functions.

So, does anyone know why is there an Auto Acquisition Mode (AACQ), when there are already 3 different Air Combat Maneuverign modes (ACM) ?

(EDIT)

Edited by Top Jockey

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

Actually was just thinking about that very same matter.

By the way, bought the Hornet yesterday and... what an outstanding module !

After some reading, I managed to get using my favourite systems / features, which are preciselly the several AIM-9 modes / functions.

So, does anyone know why is there an Auto Acquisition Mode (AACQ), when there are already 3 different Air Combat Maneuverign modes (ACM) ?

(EDIT)

AACQ isn't an ACM mode - it works differently to the others. You use AACQ with the normal radar mode - if you press it with the TDC not over anything it'll lock the closest brick to you (even if that brick is 100nm away), and if you have multiple contacts and want to lock a specific brick you need to put the TDC over that brick and press AACQ and it will lock that brick.