DCS direct or Steam

Sprool

Very new DCS fan here - I've been immersing myself in youtube videos while waiting for a new PC build before plunging into DCS world, turning my back on my old Mac. I see there's a Steam version of DCS and a 'direct' version from DCS website. I also read there's some incompatibilities with modules & sceneries between the 2 versions, so which one is best to have installed?

Any pro's and con's for the 2 versions?

I have a home-build track-ir set ready to go and Thrustmaster joystick + throttle stick.

There are not much big differences. Some updates and modules might come to steam later. But steam prices are lower than standalone version. (At least for my country)

You can activate your steam modules on standalone version too without re-buying

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

I'm about to build a new pc and considering which way to go myself.

The real world difference to you, is sales are different. Ed may do a sale today, but steam tomorrow. I found out after I bought hornet on steam as it was cheaper, ed did a sale that matched the price +$5 and included the gulf map. So If I had waited 2 weeks, I would have had another map.

Modern modules bought on steam can be moved to stand alone, but not the other way. Older modules it depends, but most can go from steam to stand alone I believe (I only wanted hornet, so don't look into it).

It's been asked a heap, so have a search. But that's the crux of it. There are other things like update speeds, steam chat, etc bit IMO it's about the above as all the little things really aren't a big deal.

Ryzen 5 3600 | 5700 XT | 32gb | NVME

Does the new ED miles bonus system for the stand alone version of DCS exist for the steam version, too?

No. Not that im aware of.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

The one major difference is that steam has a ton more bandwith for updates. I recall the F14 apocaplypse when everyone was trying to get it from ED, meanwhile steam players had no issues. Not a major problem most of the time, but its something else to consider.

Same thing with offline use. You need to periodically login to steam even if offline to play, I think it may be similar for ED's copy protection.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Same thing with offline use. You need to periodically login to steam even if offline to play, I think it may be similar for ED's copy protection.

With stand alone version you can change to offline mode in-game and after that you don't have to connect anymore to use DCS and the modules IIRC . Of course you can't have updates nor multiplayer without changing back to online mode.