smart boom tanker operator please.

D4n

Since this directly affects air-to-air-refueling capability of upcoming F-16C module, is this planned? (for example with a logic like, if player is within a certain distance of a specific position behind the tanker, then the boom will automatically turn to the refuel-hatch and extend into that hatch)

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

Did you ever refueled with the F15?

The KC135 works already as it should...

DanielNL is correct. You shouldn't have to be "In the exact right place" to get a contact. As a retired Boom Operator with more than 22 years flying including over 2,700 in the KC-135...I can tell you it doesn't work ANYTHING like it "should".

It "Works"...but nothing like it does in the real world. In the real world the Boom Operator has the ability to make a contact just about anywhere in the AR envelope if the receiver is stable. Nozzle angle is a factor but sometimes all a receiver needed was the lights to help him get settled down. Making them sweat to get into that perfect position did nothing but frustrate them...which didn't help matters.

NOW...that being said...It took me a couple of years before I was really comfortable with MY abilities and the capabilities of the airplane to make contacts that weren't "Right in the Middle" so I consider the Boom Operator in the game a new guy. He just completed Mission Qualification Training and has about 10 months in the Air Force and about 250 hours flying. He's safe and can get the job done...but still has his moments because he cant believe he's getting to do what he's doing...

Oh Wait...that was me...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

DanielNL is correct. You shouldn't have to be "In the exact right place" to get a contact. As a retired Boom Operator with more than 22 years flying including over 2,700 in the KC-135...I can tell you it doesn't work ANYTHING like it "should".

It "Works"...but nothing like it does in the real world. In the real world the Boom Operator has the ability to make a contact just about anywhere in the AR envelope if the receiver is stable. Nozzle angle is a factor but sometimes all a receiver needed was the lights to help him get settled down. Making them sweat to get into that perfect position did nothing but frustrate them...which didn't help matters.

NOW...that being said...It took me a couple of years before I was really comfortable with MY abilities and the capabilities of the airplane to make contacts that weren't "Right in the Middle" so I consider the Boom Operator in the game a new guy. He just completed Mission Qualification Training and has about 10 months in the Air Force and about 250 hours flying. He's safe and can get the job done...but still has his moments because he cant believe he's getting to do what he's doing...

Oh Wait...that was me...

:thumbup:

Thank you so much. If ED feels with us a lot of thirsty viper pilots should benefit from an implementation of a boom operator with... let's say 22 years more of experience than the guy who is actually crawling in the back of those tankers.

@Sierra99

Having the opportunity to ask a real boom operator I've always wanted to know if the connection of a receiving plane with a boom is in some way stabilising the receiver itself?

I mean, is it possible that this connection works for you as a pilot in not having to have the exact thrust position or even stick movement? Like a towing pole to at least a minimum extend? You know what I'm trying to say. My English gets to its limits I'm afraid.

@Sierra99

Having the opportunity to ask a real boom operator I've always wanted to know if the connection of a receiving plane with a boom is in some way stabilising the receiver itself?

I mean, is it possible that this connection works for you as a pilot in not having to have the exact thrust position or even stick movement? Like a towing pole to at least a minimum extend? You know what I'm trying to say. My English gets to its limits I'm afraid.

To some extent yes...more with fighters than heavies but yes. There are cautions and warnings about not maneuvering the receivers with the boom. The Boom Flight Controls are QUITE capable of moving a fighter around which can be a little disconcerting the the receiver pilot. We also have an emergency procedure for "towing fighters" and there are well documented cases of this being done during wartime to get fighters back to a safe landing or ejection site.

But in reality both aircraft are just flying formation...connected together. I have pics of a Luke F-16 pilot with both hands up on the rails because he had his plane trimmed out perfect and didn't need to touch anything (In fact he said it was probably safer if he DIDN'T touch the controls...)

That being said, one of my favorite tricks was if an f-16 was hanging out at the back of the envelope...I'd put juuuust a little bit of retract pressure on the boom so they would start moving forward in the envelope. They would think they were accelerating so they would pull off a little power and slide back to where they were...so I'd put in a little more retract pressure and pull them forward....and they'd pull off more throttle...

Final,y without warning I'd just hit the disconnect switch. Lacking the boom pulling them along they'd drop like a tank!

Hope this answers your question.

Edited by Sierra99

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

He's safe and can get the job done...but still has his moments because he cant believe he's getting to do what he's doing...

Oh Wait...that was me...

Awesome! "Please check the oil" ;) I got to fly on the 135 and 10 when I was in ROTC. Sitting or lying in the boom operators position was way cool. I don't remember if we got to fly it.

Thanks for your input.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's perfectly ordinary banter Squiffy, "Bally Jerry, pranged his kite, right in the 'how's your father.'" - Monty Python, RAF Banter Sketch.

Squiffy, a. slang. 1. Intoxicated; drunk. 2. Askew, skew-whiff. - OED

"Put that sucker in a 4G turn and keep it there!!" - Maj. Gen. "Boots" Blesse

To some extent yes...more with fighters than heavies but yes. There are cautions and warnings about not maneuvering the receivers with the boom. The Boom Flight Controls are QUITE capable of moving a fighter around which can be a little disconcerting the the receiver pilot. We also have an emergency procedure for "towing fighters" and there are well documented cases of this being done during wartime to get fighters back to a safe landing or ejection site.

But in reality both aircraft are just flying formation...connected together. O have pics of a Luke F-16 pilot with both hands up on the rails because he had his plane trimmed out perfect and didn't need to touch anything (in fact he said it was probably safer if he DIDNT touch the controls...)

That being said, one of my favorite tricks was if an f-16 was hanging out at the back of the envelope...I'd put juuuust a little bit of retract pressure on the boom so they would start moving forward in the envelope. They would think they were accelerating so they would pull off a little power and slide back to where they were...so I'd put in a little more retract pressure and pull them forward....and they'd pull off more throttle...

Final,y without warning I'd just hit the disconnect switch. Lacking the boom pulling them along they'd drop like a tank!

:thumbup::thumbup:

thank you again! I like your detailed explanations! that's what I hoped for.

Now, can anybody at ED take that bahavior into consideration when it comes to refuling with a boom, especially before the Viper hits the slot?

@Sierra99 Thanks you a lot for sharing your experience !

Also I have few questions, AFAIK, the boom move around using his wings, but is pictures make me wondering...

8327293-The-Business-End-Of-A-KC-135-Tanker---The-Boom-Operator-Lies-In-The-Prone-Position-To-Align-The-Boom-And-The-Receiver-And-Offload-6-500-Pounds-Of-Fuel-Per-Minute-0.jpg

This picture show the boom locked without being in his retracted position, where, I think, the little bit on top of the boom near the aircraft serve as a locking mechanism (which I think is surprisingly close to the boom attachment, the leverage forces must be really high at this point...) so what is holding the boom in place here ? Does it have actuators, or the pivot mechanism have brakes, or does the cables maintain it ? (tho I have seen pictures of booms without this cable, but the it might work differently for other tankers models, so I don't know).

How does the stick control the boom ? Is it rather FBW keeping it in place and moving the stick make it move around or maybe the boom position is the same as the stick position ?

Also, can a Tanker fly on his tanker fuel or is it unavailable for it ?

Finally, since you said you can pull the aircraft, I imagine you can probably push it too, and held it in place.

While in DCS the boom is disconnected everytime we get to its extending and retracting limit, but I guess from what you said, and from pictures of the operating post you have where the probe extending is controlled with a slider, that the aircraft don't really push or pull the boom (from video I have seen, only big aircraft does that) and this is basically a boomer action, which may also mean that this keep the aircraft in place more than in DCS, and also that rather than disconnect when we reach the limits, the boom can push or pull the aircraft within reasons.

Something sad, in DCS the boom don't get out of the way of an aircraft who fail to maintain formation, making it even harder to practice since it is easier to crash into it and have to restart from scratch.

And I think for beginners it will be easier to refuel the F-16 rather than the A-10 as pilot tend to try and chase the boom, or than the F-15 where we are further back and offset on the side.

CPU : I7 6700k, MB : MSI Z170A GAMING M3, GC : EVGA GTX 1080ti SC2 GAMING iCX, RAM : DDR4 HyperX Fury 4 x 8 Go 2666 MHz CAS 15, STORAGE : Windows 10 on SSD, games on HDDs.

Hardware used for DCS : Pro, Saitek pro flight rudder, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Oculus Rift.

Own : A-10C, Black Shark (BS1 to BS2), P-51D, FC3, UH-1H, Combined Arms, Mi-8MTV2, AV-8B, M-2000C, F/A-18C, Hawk T.1A

Want : F-14 Tomcat, Yak-52, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, F-5E, MiG-21Bis, F-86F, MAC, F-16C, F-15E.

Oh Wait...that was me...

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: i hope they will hear you. because tanker and its operator should be improved

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

• 2 months later...

bump this thread for the real DCS Viper experience starts

Dear DCS devs,

do you have a real/former boom operator as a SME close to or within your team? Or is there a chance to talk to such a person? Maybe Sierra99? ;) (I did not aks him or know him personally, but I reccomend to listen to his experience.)

Simulating RL should help a lot with DCS AAR by boom, i bet.

Just keep up your outstanding job with this sim I love.

Thank you.

A voice would be cool to say forward, back, higher, lower to get into refueling position.

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

Would be nice to have and the option to request a set offload, and have the boom operator tell us when the tankers about to enter and exit a turn

i7 13700k, 64gb DDR5, Warthog HOTAS, HP Reverb G2 VR, win 11, RTX 3070

TGW Dedicated Server Admin, Australian PVE/PVP gameplay. (taskgroupwarrior.info/2020)

Thank you for your service!

Very funny, actually!

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

But in reality both aircraft are just flying formation...connected together. I have pics of a Luke F-16 pilot with both hands up on the rails because he had his plane trimmed out perfect and didn't need to touch anything (In fact he said it was probably safer if he DIDN'T touch the controls...)

@Sierra99, I've tried, and failed, to find more detail about the actual refueling probe. Is there a physical latch that extends once positive contact is made that holds the probe in place? Something like one would see on an ISS docking port. Or does the probe stay connected because of the receiver pressing against the spring tension (?) in the coloured extension that sticks out below the control fins?

I would love your feedback on this, along with any other funny stories you have about refueling

i5-6480 | 1070Ti 8GB | 16GB DDR3 | TM T16000 FCS |

F/A-18C | F-14B | A-10C | F-86F | P-51D | Spitfire | FW 190 D9 | BF 109 K4 | Mig15 | AV8B NA | Mirage 2000 | L39 | Yak52 | UH1 Huey | Mi8 | C101 | FC3 | F16 | P47 | Mi24

"I just don't like entitled little kids" :music_whistling:

:thumbup:

Thank you so much. If ED feels with us a lot of thirsty viper pilots should benefit from an implementation of a boom operator with... let's say 22 years more of experience than the guy who is actually crawling in the back of those tankers.

How about a module that lets you man the tanker. Easy commands to fly, like set altitude, orbit here or track between these two points, land here etc. And you as a player man the probe and use the radio with virtual pilots. You can then say sadistically; return pre-contact all you want... And fiddle with the nozzle like an overeager virgin looking to nut.

I would do that if mission parameters are set up for refuling.

How about a module that lets you man the tanker. Easy commands to fly, like set altitude, orbit here or track between these two points, land here etc. And you as a player man the probe and use the radio with virtual pilots. You can then say sadistically; return pre-contact all you want... And fiddle with the nozzle like an overeager virgin looking to nut.

I would do that if mission parameters are set up for refuling.

Sounds all nice. But I want a realistic contact first. Like IRL which stabilizes the fighter's speed and position to a realistic extent.