TM F-18C Joystick Adapter for GunfighterII?? - Page 3 - ED Forums
 


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2019, 01:12 AM   #21
rrohde
Veteran
 
rrohde's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pocari Pocky
Posts: 4,149
Default

That's good to hear that it works for you!
__________________

PC: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz @ 5.0GHz | MSI GTX 1080 TI | ASUS Maximus IX Hero | 32GB DDR4 RAM | 512GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit | Glear: HP Reverb | Jetseat 908 | Monstertech MTX Sim Rig | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.II w/ MCG PRO (center mount) | VKB Gunfighter /w SCG-R Premium (side mount)




rrohde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 03:58 AM   #22
Sokol1_br
Veteran
 
Sokol1_br's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,641
Send a message via MSN to Sokol1_br
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by streakeagle View Post
I still need to cut up my standard SCG to build my F-4 Phantom B-8 grip into a VKB grip.
I guess that will be more easy:

Buy an VKB adapter and Shift Register PCB for Warthog and install both in this B-8 grip than use "guts" of SGC, because insides are based all in interlocking PCB's.
Sokol1_br is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 05:24 PM   #23
Catseye
Member
 
Catseye's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Vernon, BC Canada
Posts: 867
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by streakeagle View Post
I never changed the firmware, I am using VKB-Sim Gunfighter TMW v1.977

I happened to notice that the connection improved after I swapped grips, then fiddled with it. It went from solid red, to intermittent green, to intermittent red, and finally solid green after a few disconnects/reconnects/twists. Surely something was dirty or loose and now it is a solid connection. I can twist it, pull it out, bang on it, but it still stays green. Whereas the Warthog A-10C grip was always sold green.
Great to learn this!

Under what column does the stick appear in the SIM set up screen. Still under VKB? I also wonder if the TM config tool was used if it would identify the TM stick as a TM stick in the SIM setup screen.

Thanks for the detailed info on the filing. (I assume you mean filing the adapter and not the stick?)
Catseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:53 PM   #24
Sokol1_br
Veteran
 
Sokol1_br's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,641
Send a message via MSN to Sokol1_br
Default

Game controls see as VKB, the grip (f-18 AddOn) don't have controller circuit with firmware and VID/PIP, just a shift register PCB, is "brailess", so their identity is given by the base used.
Sokol1_br is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:12 PM   #25
Catseye
Member
 
Catseye's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Vernon, BC Canada
Posts: 867
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokol1_br View Post
Game controls see as VKB, the grip (f-18 AddOn) don't have controller circuit with firmware and VID/PIP, just a shift register PCB, is "brailess", so their identity is given by the base used.
OK, thanks for the info.
Catseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 03:01 AM   #26
streakeagle
Member
 
streakeagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 897
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokol1_br View Post
I guess that will be more easy:

Buy an VKB adapter and Shift Register PCB for Warthog and install both in this B-8 grip than use "guts" of SGC, because insides are based all in interlocking PCB's.
The F-4 grip has a large box directly beneath it (a force-feel transducer for its flight control system similar to the F-16 stick). I am pretty sure I can use my real F-4 stick setup to design a nearly identically shaped/sized box that can hold all of the PCBs. The extra B-8 grip I have is for a helo setup: it can be mounted on a hollow pipe and has all of the switch wires dangling down. I should be able to interface those wires in place of the original switches and get exactly what I want. The transducer box will act like a stick extension with the VKB adapter at the bottom. I already have a length of aluminum pipe that is nearly identical in dimensions to VKB extensions, so I should be able to build a complete setup that looks fairly close to my real F-4 stick, but attaches to the VKB Gunfighter II base.
__________________

Last edited by streakeagle; 09-12-2019 at 03:03 AM.
streakeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 03:10 AM   #27
streakeagle
Member
 
streakeagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 897
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catseye View Post
Great to learn this!

Under what column does the stick appear in the SIM set up screen. Still under VKB? I also wonder if the TM config tool was used if it would identify the TM stick as a TM stick in the SIM setup screen.

Thanks for the detailed info on the filing. (I assume you mean filing the adapter and not the stick?)
I can't remember the exact name, but the column name included the TMW identifier, so I would expect different columns for different firmwares/stick grips.
There are now two VKB profiles in my F-5E input config:
1) VKB-Sim Gunfighter TMW
2) VKB-Sim Gunfighter Modern Combat Pro

The F/A-18 grip is 100% intact. I filed the top-front edge of the adapter to have a rounded profile until I could fit the adapter in correctly. I think I just barely filed it down enough to fit. While I didn't match the radius of the Hornet grip, no light can be seen between the adapter and the stick at the tangent point where they appear to be touching each other.
__________________
streakeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 03:34 AM   #28
Sokol1_br
Veteran
 
Sokol1_br's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,641
Send a message via MSN to Sokol1_br
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by streakeagle View Post
I should be able to interface those wires in place of the original switches and get exactly what I want.
Luck that B-8 grip is just 5 buttons + trim HAT, because the "Alien" inside SGC is a bit complicated:

https://i.redd.it/m9227gw6wbd21.jpg
Sokol1_br is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 04:30 PM   #29
Catseye
Member
 
Catseye's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Vernon, BC Canada
Posts: 867
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by streakeagle View Post
I can't remember the exact name, but the column name included the TMW identifier, so I would expect different columns for different firmwares/stick grips.
There are now two VKB profiles in my F-5E input config:
1) VKB-Sim Gunfighter TMW
2) VKB-Sim Gunfighter Modern Combat Pro

The F/A-18 grip is 100% intact. I filed the top-front edge of the adapter to have a rounded profile until I could fit the adapter in correctly. I think I just barely filed it down enough to fit. While I didn't match the radius of the Hornet grip, no light can be seen between the adapter and the stick at the tangent point where they appear to be touching each other.
Thanks a bunch!
I'm installing my WH Stick today (broke a button wire) and testing how it feels. With your information and how I feel about the results of the WH mounting, I will probably get the F-18 stick ordered shortly.

Thanks again.

Cats . . .
Catseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:02 AM. vBulletin Skin by ForumMonkeys. Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.