TM F-18C Joystick Adapter for GunfighterII??

Davee

Hi Guys,

One of my wishes is that VKB would make an adapter kit for the F-18C TM Joystick for the Gunfighter II base.

I recall somewhere that this is not in the works.

For those who already have the adapter kit for the WH stick, it would mean a small board re & re.

I've also seen pics of someone in Russia having done this themselves and it looks great.

Keep an eye there and be "triggerhappy" is availability change from (aged) "ESTIMATED NEXT BATCH RELEASE: TO BE DETERMINED BY VKB HQ". ;)

Hi Sokol,

I have notification set for there.

Are you saying that they may actually also offer the F-18 stick adapter?

It would be nice if the adapter worked with both the F-18 and A-10 stick.

That would make me buy the F-18 stick.

Thanks

Edited by Catseye

Well, inside F-18 grip are the same "neck" of Warthog (that breaking unpainted metal part) and same electronic - CD4021 Shift Register, just with slight different format in PCB, of Warthog:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.ru/uploads/monthly_2019_08/TM_F18_01.jpg.5e994dcb3a2afbc2c6ff823859838ebf.jpg

So you don't need an specific VKB "F-18 adapter", just use their Warthog adapter - when/if became available again.

BTW - I remember an buyer posting that when dismantling Warthog grip for install this adapter he end destroying some parts, and complain that the process required by VKB adapter are "difficult". :crazy: :joystick: :mad:

Maybe VKB end burned with the bad marketing and fix the problem: removing this option for good (they did this, for similar reasons, with NJoy32 for DIY). :D

Edited by Sokol1_br

Well, inside F-18 grip are the same "neck" of Warthog (that breaking unpainted metal part) and same electronic - CD4021 Shift Register, just with slight different format in PCB, of Warthog:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.ru/uploads/monthly_2019_08/TM_F18_01.jpg.5e994dcb3a2afbc2c6ff823859838ebf.jpg

So you don't need an specific VKB "F-18 adapter", just use their Warthog adapter - when/if became available again.

BTW - I remember an buyer posting that when dismantling Warthog grip for install this adapter he end destroying some parts, and complain that the process required by VKB adapter are "difficult". :crazy: :joystick: :mad:

Maybe VKB end burned with the bad marketing and fix the problem: removing this option for good (they did this, for similar reasons, with NJoy32 for DIY). :D

If someone is only halfway skillful, the conversion is no problem. Did it two years ago and it works perfectly. I would also like to make a conversion for my new F-18 stick, but there are no more adapters evailable. :cry:

Edited by norbot

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

Excellent:

I was wondering about the compatibility. I've seen the original vids on the WH stick installation and it did not seem any more difficult than when I had to open my stick and replace some switches.

I hope VKB are not discouraged and will have another batch ready soon.

Thanks for the feedback - very much appreciated.

Excellent:

I was wondering about the compatibility. I've seen the original vids on the WH stick installation and it did not seem any more difficult than when I had to open my stick and replace some switches.

I hope VKB are not discouraged and will have another batch ready soon.

Thanks for the feedback - very much appreciated.

Cat,

I believe I have an adapter lying around. Since I sold off my Hog, I have no use for it. I’ll have to check and see which rev it’s for. If you’d like it, pm me and we’ll talk.

Catseye,

If still needing, check vkbcontrollers.com, adapters now available.

Thanks for the info.

Just finished ordering it from VKB.

Keeping fingers crossed that VKB-Sim BlackBox TM controller works for the F-18 Stick.

Cheers,

Edited by Catseye

Keeping fingers crossed that it works for the F-18 Stick.

Has this been confirmed by VKB HQ officially? Either way, fingers crossed (and let us know if it does or does not).

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I ordered one for my Warthog grip. Not sure I want to open up my F-18 stick yet since it is so new and this will void the warranty.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Has this been confirmed by VKB HQ officially?

Officially no, perhaps they are waiting USA re-seller gift then a F-18 grip for test. ;)

But UIV post a picture sent by user who use this adapter for use F-18 AddOn grip in Gunfighter base.

Since F-18 AddOn grip is made for emulate Warthog (using same electronics and having the functions) no reason for don't work.

Edited by Sokol1_br

I will confirm this soon. I just got the two adapters I ordered when they were briefly available. I have the first adapter already installed in a standard Warthog A-10C grip and mounted on the Pro 20 cm offset extension. Maybe tomorrow I will find the time to convert the F/A-18C grip with the second adapter.

I am running 2 x 50 lb springs on pitch and roll. The feel of those springs mixed with the Warthog weight is pretty good. I didn't even install the special cam provided with the Warthog adapter. I would like to leave the stock cam so that the stick still works well with the MCG Pro and SCG.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I will confirm this soon. I just got the two adapters I ordered when they were briefly available. I have the first adapter already installed in a standard Warthog A-10C grip and mounted on the Pro 20 cm offset extension. Maybe tomorrow I will find the time to convert the F/A-18C grip with the second adapter.

I am running 2 x 50 lb springs on pitch and roll. The feel of those springs mixed with the Warthog weight is pretty good. I didn't even install the special cam provided with the Warthog adapter. I would like to leave the stock cam so that the stick still works well with the MCG Pro and SCG.

Good to read this. I also will be receiving my adapter in a couple of days and I have 40 lb springs installed. I wasn't sure if it would be necessary to change the cam.

Looking forward to hearing your results on installation in the F-18 stick.

Thanks,

Cats . . .

I just got mine the other day. Still debating about Warthog vs F/A-18 grip conversion. Probably going to go with Warthog since I don't want to risk messing up my new F/A-18 grip, but would be interested to hear how it goes with the F/A-18 grip.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

I installed the adapter today:

1) It does not fit out of the box. I had to file down some edges, particularly the top front. The stick has a curved surface where it steps down for the pinky switch and the square corner of the adapter doesnt fit. Nothing a metal file couldn't fix.

2) When I plug it in, I get a red flashing light on the black box. After some comparative troubleshooting, I notice that I can get the light to go green if I turn the stick straight. It was either a loose connection, or possibly I got some metal particles from the filing job on the connection pins.

In short, I had some difficulty, but the F/A-18C grip with the VKB adapter WORKS!!!!

This is awesome. I love the F/A-18C grip and the VKB stick. Now I just need the KG12, SCG Pro, and an F-14 grip. I still need to cut up my standard SCG to build my F-4 Phantom B-8 grip into a VKB grip.

Edited by streakeagle

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I installed the adapter today:

1) It does not fit out of the box. I had to file down some edges, particularly the top front. The stick has a curved surface where it steps down for the pinky switch and the square corner of the adapter doesnt fit. Nothing a metal file couldn't fix.

2) When I plug it in, I get a red flashing light on the black box. After some comparative troubleshooting, I notice that I can get the light to go green if I turn the stick straight. It was either a loose connection, or possibly I got some metal particles from the filing job on the connection pins.

In short, I had some difficulty, but the F/A-18C grip with the VKB adapter WORKS!!!!

Congrats! (Not sure if I can recommend this officially though due to the requirement of having to use a metal file to make it fit; here's hope that VKB HQ comes out with a dedicated "TMF18 Adapter" in the future then).

Question: Did you end up using the TMW profile to get the buttons to work? Thanks.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I never changed the firmware, I am using VKB-Sim Gunfighter TMW v1.977

I happened to notice that the connection improved after I swapped grips, then fiddled with it. It went from solid red, to intermittent green, to intermittent red, and finally solid green after a few disconnects/reconnects/twists. Surely something was dirty or loose and now it is a solid connection. I can twist it, pull it out, bang on it, but it still stays green. Whereas the Warthog A-10C grip was always sold green.

Edited by streakeagle

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I still need to cut up my standard SCG to build my F-4 Phantom B-8 grip into a VKB grip.

I guess that will be more easy:

Buy an VKB adapter and Shift Register PCB for Warthog and install both in this B-8 grip than use "guts" of SGC, because insides are based all in interlocking PCB's.

I never changed the firmware, I am using VKB-Sim Gunfighter TMW v1.977

I happened to notice that the connection improved after I swapped grips, then fiddled with it. It went from solid red, to intermittent green, to intermittent red, and finally solid green after a few disconnects/reconnects/twists. Surely something was dirty or loose and now it is a solid connection. I can twist it, pull it out, bang on it, but it still stays green. Whereas the Warthog A-10C grip was always sold green.

Great to learn this!

Under what column does the stick appear in the SIM set up screen. Still under VKB? I also wonder if the TM config tool was used if it would identify the TM stick as a TM stick in the SIM setup screen.

Thanks for the detailed info on the filing. (I assume you mean filing the adapter and not the stick?)