GBU-31(V)3/B

Idle_Wild

Any chance we will get the GBU-31(V)3/B on the harrier?

It doesn't seem to carry any bunker busting ordnance at present.

Hey Idle_Wild, from the documentation around (pocket manual, Chuck guide, other manuals...) the Harrier doesn't carry the Mk-84 family of bombs, so, no, we're not gonna get the 31.

Hi chaps,

Doesn't make sense to me that it would be too heavy. I can carry 2 x GBU16s/MK83s on a single pylon (used to be 3). That's 2000lbs so equivalent weight of the Baker.

Trouble is if I drop two of the 16s on a hardened bunker it has no effect. Probably due to the baker having a shaped warhead? Would also be handy for ships as I'm finding it takes 4 MAVs to make a ship smoke (not kill).

A full 5,000lbs ordnance of 10 x GBU38s will not destroy a ship either.

You have to remember, Idle_Wild, the Harrier is limited by weight in many cases. Sure, you CAN carry 2xMk83 on a pylon. But I would bet on that it would never even be considered to be used unless there was literally nothing else flying that could, since it diminishes the Harriers unique abilities. The Harrier sacrifices the heavy loads and speed for the flexibility of landing and taking off just about anywhere. It is a CAS aircraft, so heaviest load is not a priority. Instead it can do 3-4 flights before anything that can carry heavier stuff has had the time to do one flight. Because of this and it's V/STOL abilities, the real aircraft is not even rated for Mk-84s and their guided siblings. Therefore the chances of getting a GBU-31 are slim to none.