DCS and Pimax

Wags

Great news and that remind me in time when ED implement freetrack protocol for headmovemant.

Major benefit will get VR pilots. No much difference than CV1 in resources because pimax higher pixel density will be less need for super sampling so this difference will used directly in resolution.

Right, so then probably not a large difference if any in resolution of this device versus say a Rift running at a high PD setting. Will be interesting to see.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Excellent news. I pledged for the 8K already some time ago. The Pimax seems to be the most promising VR project for the near future.

I7 6700K, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, EVGA GTX1080Ti SC, 32GB DDR4 @ 3000, Win10 64, BenQ EW3270ZL 2560x1440, VPC WarBRD Base + TM Warthog Grip, TM Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, Oculus Rift S

About question about 5K qnd 8K models I could tel you that. There is Pimax4K and Pimax4KBe which using that 2560x1440 on 530PPI OLED display. Priceis even slightly higher than 4K because OLED display. What do you prefere is very subjective question. OLED display have 530PPI vs 807 PPI on 4K LCD display.

Some people hate SDE so they don't like it other can live with small SDE and have more vivid picture and that is individual subjective issue depend on user.

Same diference can apply to 5K and 8K. 8K is more gaming oriented and 5K on VR presentation where slight SDE don't play major role.

If you are consern about GPU resources you will be able to play it on lower ress but 8K will eliminate you SDE so from GPU and CPR resources will be the same. So DCS you want 8K anyway at least to eliminate SDE because SDE is VR only issue and it is same for all user no matter what GPU they use..

Yea at Pimax accept to do some deep comparation video of 5K and 8K vs Pimax 4K and 4KBe to see the diference because there will be some other features as well like smaller lens magnification what is also means smaller mgnification of subpixels what also lead to smaler SDE. That is why 5K should have smaller SDE than 4KBe on exact the same display.

Edited by wormeaten

I had pledged for 8KX but now wondering if the 8K will suffice.

DCS thread over at Pimax forums

http://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/digital-combat-simulator/3149/72

Performance of the 8K X was my main concern and reason not to order that version. 8K version seems to have reasonable demands regarding the input signal because of upscaling and brain warp technology.

I7 6700K, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, EVGA GTX1080Ti SC, 32GB DDR4 @ 3000, Win10 64, BenQ EW3270ZL 2560x1440, VPC WarBRD Base + TM Warthog Grip, TM Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, Oculus Rift S

Just to get clue in possible SDE on 5K sheck this video. Deepoon E3 using similar display as 5K.

Pleas read description on youtube video. This is not what you will see in any of this VR but it is filmed under exact the same condition and represend fully acurate diference in SDE.

Pleas don't coment this is not what I see true CV1 I know that and confirming. Point is 5K should have less noticable SDE than CV1 but still noticable 8K don't have problem with SDE at all.

Pleas don't coment this is not what I see true CV1 I know that and confirming. Point is 5K should have less noticable SDE than CV1 but still noticable 8K don't have problem with SDE at all.

Ok no comment...

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

What about working with the Windows VR partners? They are better established and have more mature, better backed products. My experience with the Pimax was poor at best. The screens are up scaled from a lower resolution, the lenses and LCDs are of poor quality, the software is amateurish and quite buggy. I don’t understand your decision to pick them as a partner.

The language in the post does imply a 'partnership' to me. It just sounds like 2 companies with a crossover user base engaging in conversation to see how each can make the respective users of both products have the best chance at the best experience when doing so and maybe determining areas that each could improve to allow a better experience. Though I would see it as a software conversation only because Pimax is not gonna change HW for DCS. This is great in my opinion.

Edited by Torso

Nearly every use review has said the opposite... The visual difference between the Pimax 8k and the rift is substantial

That is when you don't read full review and take it out of context just what you want to see.

This model on testing tour is based on 4K old display with some tweaks and purpose is just to prove concept and even now only for full elimination of SDE and 200° FOV worth it.

Pimax 8K is CV1 grave digger like it or not. RIP

Major advantage of the Rift over Pimax4K was fact that Pimax have to full DCS it is Rift and problems what this bring.

Thet is why I say it is remind me on Freetrack protocol implementation in DCS when trackIR lost monopol on headtracking what bring revolution in DCS.

Edited by wormeaten

I think you misunderstand Precog. He is saying the 8k is described as being substantially better than Rift/Vive from everyone that has tested it.

The news we get here are all positive. A new headset is coming that will make huge strides in VR. Wags tells us that ED is in on the development and will integrate the tech in DCS World.

I already have the Pimax 4k, i will be a return customer for the 8k and ED will sell me more modules for their effort.

Everyone will benefit except the few that thinks current gen is as good as it needs to be

Seriously ?

• Like 1

Intel Core i7­6700K, 32GB DDR4, 512GB PCIe SSD + 2TB HDD, GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Pimax 5k+

The major advantage of the Rift over the Pimax 4k was simply that the Rift worked, and worked quite well, right out of the box with full positional tracking, which is very smooth along with room scale abilities. HTC Vive as well. Not to mention all the very cool games/experiences available for the Rift.

The flight sim genre is very small compared to the overall VR market. But I do hope to see it continue to grow thanks to VR and what it brings to the genre. Nothing like the feeling of being in that plane versus watching it on a monitor. I am looking forward to seeing what Pimax brings to the table with their new device.

• Like 1

Don B

Chaps, can't help but think that some are somewhat overly positive about Wags comment.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but he's stated that he's initiated discussions.

That could well (hopefully) lead onto genuine developer effort being focused in this area. However, it might not.

Let's not set expectations at this stage please.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

I personally don't think being overly positive is a bad thing ....certainly better than taking a dump on or introducing negativity to the thread .....were all big boy's and probably can handle the disappointment should we be let down at a later date ........but thanks for worrying about us :D

• Like 2

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2

Everyone will benefit except the few that thinks current gen is as good as it needs to be

Seriously ?

I don't think I have run across anyone that believes it is as good as it needs to be. I am a big fan of my Rift but I certainly do not believe that at all.

Obviously why the Pimax 8K Kickstarter has been so successful. There is a huge yearning by VR enthusiast to have a better display.

Don B

• ED Team

The reason I have been holding off buying into VR is the low resolution, and not wanting to spend a lot of money on 1st generation VR. I am happy to wait, but I must admit Pimax 8k has peaked my interest.

Looking forward to see how it pans out, and good to see ED taking an interest in it also.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Even if it doesn't take DCS to the next level, which I think it will, its still going to be a great experience with other games. We're at that point with the technology that its just simply fun to have. I gotta say, I jumped onto the bandwagon, primarily because of Wags statement. I'm not sure it was the right thing to do but VR is a lot of fun in a lot of ways and I just want the latest toy. Now, back to waiting for the Harrier and Hornet to release. :)

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

@Wags Does that mean we could some optimized VR performance in collaboration with Pimax? That would be beyond awesome and an immediate reason to back the Pimax 8k. I basically stopped playing DCS because the experience is really subpar on the Vive and I simply cannot go back to 2D.