The DCS Updater / Launcher GUI Utility Version 2.0 (2023+)

in my App, in the App Settings tab you can change the Steam/SteamVR Default folders to scan another location by clicking browse next to launch

Edited by SkateZilla
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I have just started using your app this week after getting a new headset. Unfortunately I am having problems with VR not working properly and crashing my PC. ED's support team are trying to help me and made me change my old Saved Games/DCS.openbeta folder to "Backup". Therefore when I want to use DCS in 2D I would like to use the backup folder as my saved games folder. I tried doing this in my slot#2.

null

However, when I launch into DCS with Slot#2 selected none of the My Missions and My Campaigns are visible. It seems to lookup the DCS.openbeta folder. Is that intentional? Do I need to rename the Backup folder and put it somewhere else?

image.png

PC Hardware: i9-12900k, RTX 3080 10GB, 32GB DDR5 4400MHz, NVME.2 Drives, Alienware 38" 3840x1600 144MHz Monitor, TrackIR Pro Clip, Pimax Crystal

Flight Controls: Winwing Orion 1 FA-18 Stick and Throttle HOTAS / Logitech Rudder Pedals

DCS Modules: Too many to list after the 15 year sale

20 hours ago, Chief_Biv said:

I have just started using your app this week after getting a new headset. Unfortunately I am having problems with VR not working properly and crashing my PC. ED's support team are trying to help me and made me change my old Saved Games/DCS.openbeta folder to "Backup". Therefore when I want to use DCS in 2D I would like to use the backup folder as my saved games folder. I tried doing this in my slot#2.

null

However, when I launch into DCS with Slot#2 selected none of the My Missions and My Campaigns are visible. It seems to lookup the DCS.openbeta folder. Is that intentional? Do I need to rename the Backup folder and put it somewhere else?

image.png

You need to instruct DCS to use that folder too. The App does not control which saved games folder is used, it just checks the folder you set.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

I guess you all already aware of this in Win11, clicking on the browse button gives this:

Clipboard03.jpg

Any help? 😞

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

3 minutes ago, VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants said:

I guess you all already aware of this in Win11, clicking on the browse button gives this:

Clipboard03.jpg

Any help? 😞

Go to half way down p80 and follow my posts and Skate’s replies. 

• Thanks 1

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Found it on Page 81, it is alright, time to do some text editing.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

15 minutes ago, VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants said:

Found it on Page 81, it is alright, time to do some text editing.

Let us know how you get on, as nothing worked for me in the end as you can see from the posts on p82 onwards.  I say nothing, but messing around with OneDrive did, but that had consequences.

I think we just have to wait for the new version which Skate says doesn't have the issue.

• Thanks 1

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

7 hours ago, imacken said:

Let us know how you get on, as nothing worked for me in the end as you can see from the posts on p82 onwards.  I say nothing, but messing around with OneDrive did, but that had consequences.

I think we just have to wait for the new version which Skate says doesn't have the issue.

The new Version uses the same command and will likely have the same issue, as it's nothing to do with my app or code.
I use Windows 11 on my laptop to backup and sync w/ my home rigs, I use one drive as well, and do not have this problem on any of my machines. But I also dont Network sync my /Desktop/ Folder.

That being said, I integrated a alternate path entry method in the new one in the event a user is faced with this issue.

Also coming from MS Support, "if the Folder Browse Dialog is prompting an empty desktop root, then your system likely has file system errors and steps should be taken to trouble shoot the cause, as the Folder Browser Dialog uses the same permissions as the rest of the Operating system."

• Like 1

As discussed before, removing desktop from OneDrive sync resolves the issue with the app. However, that is not a good solution. 
Sorry to repeat myself, but I still find it interesting that this only happens in your app and under no other circumstance. Weird.

Not sure what MS mean by ‘file system errors’. I do SFC checks etc. regularly and nothing comes up. Most people I have asked seem to have this issue so it seems very unlikely this has anything to do with ‘file system errors’.

Interesting. 

21 minutes ago, imacken said:

As discussed before, removing desktop from OneDrive sync resolves the issue with the app. However, that is not a good solution. 
Sorry to repeat myself, but I still find it interesting that this only happens in your app and under no other circumstance. Weird.

Not sure what MS mean by ‘file system errors’. I do SFC checks etc. regularly and nothing comes up. Most people I have asked seem to have this issue so it seems very unlikely this has anything to do with ‘file system errors’.

Interesting. 

Except it's not just my app, you will encounter the issue on any windows program that calls the folder browse dialog.
The .vbs script i posted and you ran is the same command, my app literally sends a command to windows to bring up that dialog, the dialog / Folder browser shell, is part of Windows Runtimes, not my app.

MS themselves stated that was the issue in the support ticket I opened with them on the developer forums. I'm just relaying what they said, I shared a snipped of the code I use to call the OS to bring up the Folder Browser Dialog /Shell and they also stated that it was correct and no errors.

moreover, MS themselves acknowledged its a issue with Windows 11 and One Drive.

https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/browse-for-folder-dialog-empty-in-windows-11/

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Automate-Desktop/Display-select-folder-dialog-only-showing-Desktop-folder/td-p/1914370

As for MS Stating File system errors, that only applies if you're seeing that symptom and not using oneDrive.

Edited by SkateZilla

Ah, so it’s a Windows bug with the OD thing being a temp workaround. That makes more sense.

another reason why I hate MS11.

• Like 1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

19 hours ago, Krnobi_212 said:

Does anyone else have a problem with the app not opening properly? Like, thestarting screen will popup then when it closes nothing else happens.

Check the first page of this post.  Their is a Troubleshooting section with some tips. 

• Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

I had the same issues with windows 11 wanting to map everything to OneDrive/Documents Desktop...it drove me mad...so I removed it as I don't utilize OD anyway and have custom powershell scripts that automate removing all the bloatware/crap for 11 anyway. If you want to explore this then I employ you to visit: https://github.com/undergroundwires/privacy.sexy. Also OO ShutUp 10+ works for win11 as well.

Anyway...back on topic: there is a registry edit that needs to be made, and you need to modify a subset of folders to map windows away from OD even when it is disabled.

First, I would follow this guide if you want to just disable it, but I used PS to remove it entirely. (make sure to unlink it first or it'll cause problems). Simply removing / uninstalling / killing OneDrive doesn't stop it's madness. You need to dig deeper.

Unlink: (right click OD in taskbar on the right)
ss.jpg

Utilizing: Win key -> run -> gpedit.msc https://www.elevenforum.com/t/enable-or-disable-onedrive-in-windows-11.2318/

NOTE: you need to have a Windows 10/11 Pro + license to use gpedit, otherwise you can only do this via registry edits. Windows Home doesn't have this functionality by default. 🙄

In the guide above, they also did not notate a new DWORD that exists...it's labeled "DisableLibrariesDefaultSaveToOneDrive" I set that to a value of 1. (it tells you what it does in the title itself).

Additionally, you need to browse to:
Win key -> run -> regedit to modify the following directory --- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

Once there, you'll see file structure mappings. They'll likely be mapped to some variant of OneDrive, I simply modified them to: C:\Users\%USERPROFILEGOESHERE%\Documents. (%userprofile% is your name for win10/11)

You can also modify videos, music, favorites, pictures, downloads, desktop etc etc as they will likely be linked to the OD Folder.

Boom, now you no longer have OneDrive and all the nightmares that come from mapping things anymore with Windows 11. (atleast for me).

Use something better like Google Drive, Dropbox...or whatever else to backup/sync.

Edited by itx
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the detailed post. However, I don’t want to remove OD. It’s always been a great success for me, particularly the syncing to all devices instantly. This one little issue with Skate’s utility is the only problem I’ve had and it is a bug that will soon be sorted out no doubt. 

Hey zilla. Not sure if there is a fix for this...but if there is, let me know how to fix it. 

It really isn't a huge deal but when I first load the game after a PC restart, the first load in under VR ON is always just default settings. I exit, start it again the exact same way and it loads my settings. This might have nothing to do specifically with the app and more so maybe left over configs from the past. I dunno, but if you got any ideas I'm all ears lol. 

On 1/21/2023 at 6:39 AM, HoBGoBLiNzx3 said:

It really isn't a huge deal but when I first load the game after a PC restart, the first load in under VR ON is always just default settings.

I was reading this yesterday and thought "this doesn't happen to me" but this morning after my PC started i set everything up for a flight, loaded the utility, it still showed VR Headset as profile from my previous flight, selected Preset VR agai, and hit the VR button only to be greeted with the default settings when the game was loaded.
Since nothing has changed in the utility i'll suspect the latest beta to be the culprit.

• Like 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

4 hours ago, Lange_666 said:

I was reading this yesterday and thought "this doesn't happen to me" but this morning after my PC started i set everything up for a flight, loaded the utility, it still showed VR Headset as profile from my previous flight, selected Preset VR agai, and hit the VR button only to be greeted with the default settings when the game was loaded.
Since nothing has changed in the utility i'll suspect the latest beta to be the culprit.

Thanks for reproducing. At least now Zilla is aware of it, it's not an end of the world bug but something he may decide he wants to iron out if he so chooses. I can always tell if my SRS menu is present as I have it as hidden in my normal settings. Cheers!

This maybe related to how the APP Does Profile Switching, with renaming 2 files. Options.lua -> Options_Backup.lua and Options_<Preset> -> Options.lua
if a file is otherwise locked it will skip the loading and launch dcs, if there's a delay it will launch DCS Before the files are correctly renamed.
(it should show in the logs that it skipped and used default)

The Presets in the old app also had issues with restoring the default options.lua after crashes.

The new App the Profile Switching was re-written, I have yet to see this behavior, but at the same time I was not looking for it, but I'll make a test note.

Edited by SkateZilla
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, stenji said:

Few questions from a newbie....

1) can I play on my own dedicated server with one DCS installed only?

2) Is there a manual/guide to correctly setup your amazing app for whoever wants to play on his own dedicated server?

Launch Dedicated server with the custom write folder (ie SERVER), then launch DCS

Any guide for the current version will be wasted as the new version coming in Q1 '23 and is totally different.

Edited by SkateZilla

When I choose "VR ON", the program launches with SteamVR. How can I force it to launch with OpenXR (new in the latest OB)?

Tim "Stretch" Morgan

72nd VFW, 617th VFS

Other handles: Strikeout (72nd VFW, 15th MEU Realism Unit), RISCfuture (BMS forums)

PC and Peripherals: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/RISCfuture/saved/#view=DMp6XL

Win10 x64 — BMS — DCS — P3D

On 12/26/2022 at 2:54 AM, SkateZilla said:

Happy Holidays Everyone,

Progress on the new App is progressing. The core is finished and most of the UI Art is done as well, pending my bad habit of wanting to re-do things to get the best look possible.
There is still a good amount of sub-function code to be written and debugged, especially thread syncing between primary and sub functions as well as between primary functions.
The App itself is about 85% functional, as stated, with some sub-function code to be written, synced and tested.

The only setback so far has been to outside parameters. A few weeks ago, I fractured my left hand, and possibly tore ligaments (MRI Pending). 
My left hand and lower arm are in a cast, and I am unable to type with it at the present time. That being said, the code work is being done one handed, Just a little slower.

Once the App features are finalized and the app is in internal testing, I will be releasing detailed information, and media.
The Goal is still Q1 2023, and there's no reason that goal can't be met.

Alas, I do not leave you with nothing, being the holidays and all, I leave you with the image below of the new UI Home screen (still WIP, and relevent info redacted of course).

Updater_12.25.2022.A.PNG

This looks amazing, thanks for all your hard work over the years, remember starting to use this back in its original days and it has been very beneficial since.

Hope everything goes smoothly with your recovery and do not stress about getting this finished before you are properly recovered, as much as we want this new and improved app your recovery is more important.

• Like 1

i9-9900KS CPU @ 5.1GHz, Win10 Pro 64bit, Gigabyte Z390 Master Mobo, Corsair Vengance 64GB 3000Mhz Ram, 1 x ADATA SX8200 Pro 1Tb Drive (OS), 1 x ADATA SX8200 Pro 512Gb Drive (DCS), 1 x RTX 2080Ti AORUS Waterforce 11Gb, 3 x 27" ACER Predator 2560x1440px, 27" LG 2560x1440px HP Reverb G2, TrackIR5, HOTAS Warthog Throttle and Stick, 3 x HOTAS Cougar MFCDs, Elgato Streamdeck & Streamdeck XL

Sorry I Posted and Update on my FB Page and forgot to post it here, as it's been a pretty busy last few weeks behind the scenes.

Good Day Everyone,
I Hope everyone is having a Safe new year.

The App has been going through internal testing for a few weeks now, so far it's going smoothly, no major issues, Any bugs found are logged and processed, along with User Feedback.
So far the main focus is on the major features, and thread syncing.
There's still odd behaviors that need to be ironed out when it comes to threading. 

That being said this week was Phase I of the Cleanup process: 
-Cleaning out rem'd code that was left for testing functions and just in case I needed to revert to a previous code base for some functions, 
-Cleaning out unused controls,
-Cleaning Out unused or replaced UI Art.

It was also decided late in development to replace a majority of the controls due to how they reacted to being in a multi-threaded function.

Work will continue on cleaning up the thread management functions as well as adding / cleaning up existing functions. 
There's still a few features that are only integrated as a basic level and need to be expanded to their full potential.
Once I am closer to a release I will put out more visual content.

• Like 16