DCS 1.5 F-86 ai

foxl

Hi.

How do you guys beat the f86 ai in DCS 1.5?

I give him 100% fuel, i take 40% fuel, still he does everything better. he out climbs me and can catch me even if im 2km away in a climb. He also fires from 1km away and hits me?

I'm both sorry AND delighted to hear this. Sorry because you have a hard time, delighted because killing Sabres is too easy in pre-DCS1.5. Me, I'm not installing 1.5, I'm waiting for DCS2.0. Once it's made available I will do a full reinstall of my rig with Win10 AND a new GPU...and then DCS2.0 :)

I hope somebody else with 1.5 installed can shed some light on this. For me, it's still good news as the previous balance was far from OK. The Mig-15 was just overly superior no matter what people say. See for yourself.

This was too easy

This was too hard

Maintain energy, since the F-86 turns tighter, high yo-yo around him and splash him when he climbs, use your airbrake and deny him scissoring you. Make sure you're slipping the aircraft properly with rudder, dial in a distance (I use 400-500m) on the gunsight, set the gunsight to 11m wingspan, get him lined up and let off a few 23mm rounds.

I hope somebody else with 1.5 installed can shed some light on this. For me, it's still good news as the previous balance was far from OK. The Mig-15 was just overly superior no matter what people say. See for yourself.

The MiG-15 is pretty easy to fly IMHO, without having to worry about physically yank the stick you can do all kinds of stuff with it. It's a bit more of a challenge now, but still relatively easy to splash AI all day if you fly correctly. I'm not an actual pilot nor have I (obviously) flown either planes IRL to have an opinion, but they both "feel" just about right.

Edited by GaryIKILLYOU
answering quote

My Specs:

Win 10 Pro 64bit/ i7 6770K 4.5Ghz/32GB DDR4/ GTX 1070 SC/Samsung SSD

Warthog Stick/TWCS Throttle/TrackIR 5

I'm both sorry AND delighted to hear this. Sorry because you have a hard time, delighted because killing Sabres is too easy in pre-DCS1.5. Me, I'm not installing 1.5, I'm waiting for DCS2.0. Once it's made available I will do a full reinstall of my rig with Win10 AND a new GPU...and then DCS2.0 :)

Did you read the 1.5 Patch Notes?

F-86F

• Rudder authority increased
  • In-game manual added
  • Fixed incorrect tank jettison button hint in russian localization
  • Emergency ignition switch is now normal two-position switch instead of spring-loaded
  • Gun Selector now OFF instead of ALL GUNS at cold or runway start
  • When guarded, rocket release selector now is always in OFF position
  • New cockpit lights added
  • Reduced the maximum possible G at an altitude above 5 km (made it closer to the official documents), this allows it to maintain airspeed and provide the “feeling” of stall entry
  • All electrical bus consumers now have a minimum voltage at which the consumer continues function
  • Adjusted spin characteristics

MiG-15bis

• Available load factor was reduced for some altitude bands, this has made closer to official documents
  • Fixed logic of the ARC-5 NDB switches
  • Fixed stick shake during takeoff
  • View adjustment speed was increased
  • Increased performance reduction with damaged stabilizer
  • Added step throttle control
  • MiG-15bis EN cockpit added

Bolded the relevent bits :)

I think I also saw some talk of the Mig-15 pilot losing the g-suit as well as being planned for 1.5/2.0, dunno if that's in yet though.

Did you read the 1.5 Patch Notes?

Even if those were changed, in RL the MiG-15 accelerated and climbed much faster than any Sabre, and if at height the MiG had all the advantages.

Also, I thing that the G tolerance is not modeled to well, I mean, the pilot starts to black out to soon without pulling to much. I´m sure MiG-15 pilots were trained to sustain greater amounts of Gs.

I dont know if it is a bug, but you will notice the F86 AI flies mostly at stall speed around 200kph or less. Hit F2 and you will see the enemy's airspeed listed at the bottom of the screen. You can either boom and zoom it by taking passes at medium speed and climbing up to set up for another pass, or you can just drop landing flaps and fly at 200kph with it.

Your average turn speed is around 600kph in the Mig-15, so as you can imagine, the F86 AI is turning a very small, slow circle. It almost feels like dogfighting a Huey

The Mig-15 AI makes for a much better dogfight. It flies a little slower than most players, but it keeps around 450kph for turns, and it seems a bit more dynamic than the F86 AI.

It's not a problem exclusive with the Sabre AI, a lot of other AI aircraft have a problem keeping their speed. Especially modern ones. They will often drop their air brake and fly as slow as possible, even if they are behind you.

Modules: A10C, AV8, M2000C, AJS-37, MiG-21, MiG-19, MiG-15, F86F, F5E, F14A/B, F16C, F18C, P51, P47, Spitfire IX, Bf109K, Fw190-D, UH-1, Ka-50, SA342 Gazelle, Mi8, Christian Eagle II, CA, FC3

I dont know if it is a bug, but you will notice the F86 AI flies mostly at stall speed around 200kph or less. Hit F2 and you will see the enemy's airspeed listed at the bottom of the screen. You can either boom and zoom it by taking passes at medium speed and climbing up to set up for another pass, or you can just drop landing flaps and fly at 200kph with it.

Your average turn speed is around 600kph in the Mig-15, so as you can imagine, the F86 AI is turning a very small, slow circle. It almost feels like dogfighting a Huey

The Mig-15 AI makes for a much better dogfight. It flies a little slower than most players, but it keeps around 450kph for turns, and it seems a bit more dynamic than the F86 AI.

It's not a problem exclusive with the Sabre AI, a lot of other AI aircraft have a problem keeping their speed. Especially modern ones. They will often drop their air brake and fly as slow as possible, even if they are behind you.

It was like that in 1.2.16 too. AI algorithms need to be tweaked I think. When battling the AI you just need to stay in the vertical.

• 2 months later...

I don't know what more else you found wrong about the F-86F AI in terms of being overpowered, but the only thing that seems to go wrong is it's overpowered engine. If you're in a fight with it, you should see (with F2 key probably) how the F-86 AI accelerates forward. I didn't chronometer it's speed variation, but you'll see that it accelerates almost as an F-15 in afterburner with no loadout.

How the AI turns in comparison to a player's F-86, I don't know, I haven't seen a very big difference, but probably the sensation that it turns on a die is only due to the fact that the engine outputs a lot of abnormal thrust, which combined with the angle of attack the AI aircraft has (because the engine's thrust force adds a force component to the lift force due to the angle of attack) and due to the higher airspeed it has when chasing you it will have a much greater turn rate. It all makes sense why it seems to turn so quick and tighter, but this has nothing to do with the aerodynamics of the F-86's AI alone which look authentic, but only with the higher thrust effects of the engine! It's probably on the fixing list!

When you can't prove something with words, let the maths do the talking.

I have an insatiable passion for helping simulated aircraft fly realistically!

Sincerely, your correct flight model simulation advisor!

• 3 weeks later...

Wow! I can't even touch the Mig15 with the F86, but I beat the ever living daylights out of the F86 with the Mig. It doesn't seem to be much of a contest.

So maybe if you fly the F86 against the Mig a few times, it'll show you that the Mig can outturn, outrun, and generally outfly the F86 pretty readily.

I kept asking the same question about the Mig in the other forum, and everyone told me that the Mig had these advantages. And it does (for me anyway).

I kind of believe that each plane has it's own plusses, strong points, and weaknesses and that one or the other's characteristics will fit a given person's flying techniques. Mine just happens to favor the Mig. I can outfly the F86 with little effort. At that point, I can toy with it and just wait until it inevitably makes a mistake.

Edited by Zimmerdylan