Beginners Guide to DCS World Aircraft Mods

RedBeard2

Hi Guys! I want to make custom cockpits and External models for FC3 F15.I do 3d art creation for few years now. Game model creation pipeline is a familiar process to me.

I asked couple of modders where should i find a guide and they say most of the stuff is outdated. Is the guide in the beginning of this thread relevant to today`s game structure? If somebody knows where can i get a guide that will work with current DCS versions could you please share links to them. Or advice on what should i look in to to avoide obsolete material.

Thanks a lot and happy new year!

Bumping this thread because I would also like to know this ^

Seconded.

Tried this from an earlier post but no luck..

device_init.lua:

creators[devices.EXTANIM] = {"avLuaDevice" ,LockOn_Options.script_path.."externalanimations.lua"}

created externalanimations.lua and entered the following:

local RUDDER_STATE = sensor_data:getRudderPosition() / 100

set_aircraft_draw_argument_value(17, -RUDDER_STATE)

devices.lua:

devices["EXTANIM"] = counter()--7

Or is the only way to do it to create the hydraulic & elec systems etc from scratch?

I recommend referring to BGSC: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=229910

I want to make 2 damage arguments on 1 object, bud i dont know how to define it in object properties dialog window

when i use only 1 damage argument (damag...) it works, but if u try to use second argument (for example in 2 lines with ; separator) it accept only second argument.

damage_arg.thumb.jpg.a71ae8b1677e58e86d84684583bfe71f.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
On 12/26/2019 at 1:41 PM, musolo said:

Hi Guys! I want to make custom cockpits and External models for FC3 F15.I do 3d art creation for few years now. Game model creation pipeline is a familiar process to me.

I asked couple of modders where should i find a guide and they say most of the stuff is outdated. Is the guide in the beginning of this thread relevant to today`s game structure? If somebody knows where can i get a guide that will work with current DCS versions could you please share links to them. Or advice on what should i look in to to avoide obsolete material.

Thanks a lot and happy new year!

On 3/16/2020 at 2:11 PM, Fsxnerd said:

Bumping this thread because I would also like to know this ^

On 4/1/2020 at 6:27 PM, Double117 said:

Seconded.

Thirded.

• 3 months later...

MOD creation:  These are the steps that I have mapped out in my mind as to MOD creation. Am I on the right track?

1.      Create the airframe of the aircraft with Blender or 3DX Max.  If using Blender use the 3DM plugin to import it into 3DX max. 

2.      Once converted you can use an existing model and import what you just created into those folders/directories.  This will change the airframe of the aircraft but will keep the same flight dynamics of the original airplane.

3.      Manipulate the LUA files with Notepad + to alter the flight dynamics of the aircraft you are trying to simulate. 

For cockpit creation you can do the same thing but try and tie the new cockpit controls to the original cockpit controls by manipulating the LUA files again. My goal is to create a cockpit similar to that of the F-35, basically a glass cockpit that you can customize.

• 8 months later...
On 10/27/2021 at 8:08 AM, RedBeard2 said:

Apologies to everyone for Google Drive changing the sharing links for the guide and sample.  I've updated the links so it should be working once again.

Hi

When trying to download the googledrive links it asks for a login - doesn't seem to allow downloads without a user name and password -  I can preview the doc and file but not download them any idea @RedBeard2?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/21/2018 at 6:36 AM, Stonehouse said:

Anyone got any clues or specific info about the piston engine equivalent of the extended engine data and thrust max table you can define for jets?

You can see examples for aircraft based on jet engines or their derivatives in the Community A4 mod.

Tried using the same set up in a piston engine aircraft and not surprisingly specifying thrust max at specific mach number and height didn't work.

At a guess it's probably something to do with WEP manifold pressures at a given speed and height.

Thanks,

Stonehouse

PS dpdh_m and dpdh_f don't appear to help tune performance at different altitudes for piston engine aircraft or at least that's what I seem to be seeing running test missions for the same aircraft at max speed at different heights.

A few years late, but someone may find it useful in the future.
I took the beginners' guide F-104T lua file and modified it from a single turbojet to twin radials for my mod.
The engine data came from the Yak lua (search for "engine" in the flight model data area), and I referred to the Mosquito for the twin engine parts (engines_count and engines_nozzles sections).  The Mosquito also had "engine_name" which I have yet to play with.  I assume that ties up with the sound information in another thread.

@No1sonuk

Where did you get the files for the F-104T? I have been looking but unable to find.

Thanks, Money

Intel i9-13900k, Asus Z790-E Gaming Wifi II mobo, 64gb Corsair DDR5-6400 RGB ram 2x32gb XMP2 profile, 2TB Crucial T700 PCIE 5.0 SSD internal, 2TB Samsung 980 Pro PCIE 4.0 SSD internal, Asus Tuf Gaming overclocked Nvidia RTX 4090, Corsair 7000X Case with 5 x 120mm intake fans and 4 x 140mm exhaust fans, side mounted Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm liquid cooler w/Elite LCD with 6 x 120mm fans in push-pull intake configuration 2 x 32" Asus 2560x1440 displays, TrackIR5 w/pro clip, Thrustmaster Warthog stick and throttle, CH Fighterstick Pro and Pebble Beach Velocity pedals. 

11 minutes ago, 104th_Money said:

@No1sonuk

Where did you get the files for the F-104T? I have been looking but unable to find.

Thanks, Money

The links on the first post in this thread.
They're labelled wrong, though.  The one marked guide is the sample files zip, and the one marked sample files is the guide pdf.

Thank you, this is exactly what I need.

Money

Intel i9-13900k, Asus Z790-E Gaming Wifi II mobo, 64gb Corsair DDR5-6400 RGB ram 2x32gb XMP2 profile, 2TB Crucial T700 PCIE 5.0 SSD internal, 2TB Samsung 980 Pro PCIE 4.0 SSD internal, Asus Tuf Gaming overclocked Nvidia RTX 4090, Corsair 7000X Case with 5 x 120mm intake fans and 4 x 140mm exhaust fans, side mounted Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm liquid cooler w/Elite LCD with 6 x 120mm fans in push-pull intake configuration 2 x 32" Asus 2560x1440 displays, TrackIR5 w/pro clip, Thrustmaster Warthog stick and throttle, CH Fighterstick Pro and Pebble Beach Velocity pedals. 

• 5 months later...

Can anyone help me with an IFLOLS land trailer? I've been struggling to get it loaded on DCS. I think it's a mesh-related issue. Blender does turn it into an edm file, but it doesn't show up in model viewer. Also, I have zero experience with Blender. I think it's a miracle I got the textures onto the actual model. The only reason I'm messing with Blender is because I got tired of the DCS IFLOLS trailer always being broken.

• 5 months later...

hello guys, this is my J-22 Soko mod, I have a problem with a damage texture and the plane turns quickly in a circle at low speed when taxing on the taxiway, I changed, tand_gear_max, but nothing happens, I don't know anything about programming, i not know make FM dll, if someone wants to help me I would be very grateful, as for the damage texture, I don't know how to make a texture and how to implement it in 3ds max,I tried the explanation from page 5, but I don't seem to understand enough and I'm missing something,this is the only thing i get from the damage model

Screen_230910_054915.png

Screen_230913_152946.png

Screen_230913_152857.png

of course, the model is still under construction, chockpit and efm

• 4 months later...
On 9/13/2023 at 2:37 PM, icemacan said:

hello guys, this is my J-22 Soko mod, I have a problem with a damage texture and the plane turns quickly in a circle at low speed when taxing on the taxiway, I changed, tand_gear_max, but nothing happens, I don't know anything about programming, i not know make FM dll, if someone wants to help me I would be very grateful, as for the damage texture, I don't know how to make a texture and how to implement it in 3ds max,I tried the explanation from page 5, but I don't seem to understand enough and I'm missing something,this is the only thing i get from the damage model

Screen_230910_054915.png

Screen_230913_152946.png

Screen_230913_152857.png

of course, the model is still under construction, chockpit and efm

Spinning on it self is well known SFM issue, no fix at all, maybe ED will fix that in THE FUTURE, but now the only way it to create a custom FM.

Check this doc for damage works : https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Zux4VL4g9mVLrwjnzYj6s7autvIXRmlm/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=117200756251390570482&rtpof=true&sd=true

Best Luck

MOD Logo - 100.png