The Case for the Tomcat

Chrono

Wags has said that the case for additional flyables is based on

... what other parallel projects we are working on. It's our hope and desire that we can cross-blend the best components of our entertainment and military training simulations. Other factors of course include what you guys are asking for, what we have good documentation for, access to SMEs, and if we have the technology to support the system.

Irrespective of that, I'd like to see an F-14, if at all possible. Here's why I think that makes sense:

1. Topgun. Put the F-14 on the cover and it will sell well in the U.S. and the rest of the West.

2. Information. It's an old jet, and barring any data that could help the Iranians build replacement parts, info should be available.

3. Two seater. What a multiplayer opportunity - most simmers would love to have front seat/back seat play.

4. Topgun.

5. Multi-role. The -D model, at least. Good fun for both ground pounding and bandit busting.

6. Carrier ops. Why land at an airbase, when you can land on a boat? And how cool would a ramp-start below deck, followed by an elevator ride to the deck be?

7. Tomcat vs. Su-27K (Su-33). How cool would it be to hone your skills with your American VFW buddies, then go head-to-head against a Russian VFW in a carrier battle? Very cool, that's how cool. Very.

OK, I am going to rant here for a bit.

From what has been said in the FAQ and from word of mouth, I am sure that ED has their future planned far into the future. Not to rag on Chrono, but I really do not like seeing all these threads with what ED should do next. They already know what they are doing next. If they wanted to know what the community wanted I am sure they would ask. But IMHO it seems like it is getting really whiny around here.

Granted I also understand that many people are just wishing to express their opinions, but IMHO it is getting overboard.

Just my 2cents

OK, I am going to rant here for a bit.

[...] If they wanted to know what the community wanted I am sure they would ask. But IMHO it seems like it is getting really whiny around here.

Granted I also understand that many people are just wishing to express their opinions, but IMHO it is getting overboard.

Just my 2cents

Yeah, if they wanted to know, they'd post a sticky at the very top of the forum entitled "Digital Combat Simulator Questions and Answers" or something.

Wags stated on SimHQ a few years ago that he would like to make an F-14 study sim with backseat/frontseat multiplayer capability. Personally I think if ED is looking to do backseat/frontseat and develop study sim aircraft, the F-14 is a great choice because it hasn't been done before, nor has anything come close, and it is multirole.

Unfortunately it doesn't mesh well with ED's commitment to military contracts and training software, so we probably won't see it. That's where ED is making their money and we get the side benefits, though...

SimHQ Technology Editor

TSH member

Actually Joe, I said would personally like to make a F-14 sim someday. Same holds true for a Hornet, Tornado and Harrier. But that is just my personal desire :) Hopefully we'll get them all someday.

This is a similar reason why I decided to go back to college and get my degree in Game Development! Highly unlikely, but you never know, mabye some day in the future I will be working on one.:thumbup:

There's a few of these 'What plane do you want' - 'What plane do you NOT want' threads popping up. Wouldn't the simplest & cleanest thing be to have a sticky poll with a fairly comprehensive list of aircraft at the top of the forum ?

Keeps it all tidy, gives ED some numbers rather than just loudest posts ...

Speaking of which - ED, Make the Su-25 the next add on after the A-10 & Blue Chopper. Great plane & perfect as a trainer for fast jets - esp with the glass cockpit upgrade - build a training course around it as part of its mission pack.

Turn & turn about pairs by role make sense: 2 choppers (red, blue), 2 ground pounders (blue, red), 2 multirole fighters (red, blue), 2 air superiority fighters (blue, red),

Better still - turn & turn about roles might move things faster & make for a more varied experience : Red chopper (Ka-50), Blue Ground Pounder (A-10), Red air superiority fighter (Su-27), Blue multirole (F-18 ?). Take turns & no-one can complain about 'Bias' against a particular side of the Atlantic (or pacific - depending on which direction you walk)

Cheers.

Actually Joe, I said would personally like to make a F-14 sim someday. Same holds true for a Hornet, Tornado and Harrier. But that is just my personal desire :) Hopefully we'll get them all someday.

Wags, I congratulate you to your excellent taste :) Since you have already done one of those, stick with the others ;)

No seriously, I would absolutley love to see a Tomcat sim one day. The Tomcat is one of the few air-air fighter that realy appeal to me. The Tomcat is just cult. And for me it was not Top Gun, it was The Final Countdown. I remember watching that as a kid all over again and drooling over the incredible flying scenes. Since then I love the late 70s/early 80s USN carrier groups with all those nice A-6, A-7 and F-14 in those great high-vis colour schemes. That film realy marked me.

Hey and the F-14A is alright. For me it represents a much more interesting time of air-air combat. A great mix of BVR work vs. bombers and lots of close in dogfighting with (rear aspect)-heaters and guns. And it still has a nice classic airplane cockpit, not some of that si-fi stuff ;) The F-14D with all that computer combat would only be half as fun. Plus the F-14A has a very impressive combat record, so that is even better.

Wags, I congratulate you to your excellent taste :) Since you have already done one of those, stick with the others ;)

No seriously, I would absolutley love to see a Tomcat sim one day. The Tomcat is one of the few air-air fighter that realy appeal to me. The Tomcat is just cult. And for me it was not Top Gun, it was The Final Countdown. I remember watching that as a kid all over again and drooling over the incredible flying scenes. Since then I love the late 70s/early 80s USN carrier groups with all those nice A-6, A-7 and F-14 in those great high-vis colour schemes. That film realy marked me.

Hey and the F-14A is alright. For me it represents a much more interesting time of air-air combat. A great mix of BVR work vs. bombers and lots of close in dogfighting with (rear aspect)-heaters and guns. And it still has a nice classic airplane cockpit, not some of that si-fi stuff ;) The F-14D with all that computer combat would only be half as fun. Plus the F-14A has a very impressive combat record, so that is even better.

Just saw "The final countdown" again here the other day (got a DVD copy of it) I really like the the dogfight scene with those visimod A6M2's.

I also agree that the F-14 would be a blast to fly, I'd even enjoy the -A trying not to stall the engines would pose a challenge after being used to zooming around as befitting in the fast jets in Lock On.

Still I won't start nagging about further products, I'll more likely enjoy the ride from here and purchase any modules I'd like to try (propably them all but I like to sound picky!)

I think the future for this niche market got a little brighter with the business model outlined by TFC/ED

Cheers

Staffan

http://www.ipms.dk

i7 9700K, Asus Z390 Prime A, Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, GeForce RTX 2080 Ti STRIX ROG, Fractal Design Define R6, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind, Oculus Rift S. 32 GB 3200 MHz RAM

Just saw "The final countdown" again here the other day (got a DVD copy of it) I really the the dogfight scene with those visimod A6M2's.

I got the DVD too (lost the old VHS tape I had back then), perhaps I am going to watch it again this evening :) The dogfight with the Zeros was realy cool, but also all those great take-off and landing sequences and not to forget the air refueling. For me back then, in the days befor the information wealth of the internet and with only some pictures from books, this was like the holy grail.

Wags stated on SimHQ a few years ago that he would like to make an F-14 study sim

Actually Joe, I said would personally like to make a F-14 sim someday.

Uh, isn't that what I said? :)

BTW, in case anyone cares, I too would like to make an F-14 study sim. But I think Wags has the better shot at it...

SimHQ Technology Editor

TSH member

I agree Joe

BTW, in case anyone cares, I too would like to make an F-14 study sim. But I think Wags has the better shot at it...

I think I have to agree there aswell Joe... And I still hope to see one someday...F-14 sim that is!

Cheers

Staffan

http://www.ipms.dk

i7 9700K, Asus Z390 Prime A, Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, GeForce RTX 2080 Ti STRIX ROG, Fractal Design Define R6, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind, Oculus Rift S. 32 GB 3200 MHz RAM

I also agree that the F-14 would be a blast to fly, I'd even enjoy the -A trying not to stall the engines would pose a challenge after being used to zooming around as befitting in the fast jets in Lock On.

I was thinking the same thing. Having the F-14A would be a great chance to fly a plane that doesn't have a 1:1 or greater thrust to weight ratio. I'd would make me appreciate the whole NFWS/TOPGUN aspect even more! :)

As a member of Group Tomcatsky, I'm all for the F-14, but...

F-14A, well ok, but as an 'enty' level - what do I mean ? The F-14A is not a 'true' Tomcat, the whole thing is downgraded by its engines that were there only temporary, but stuck for next 20 years. The first true Tomcat is the F-14A+ (later recalled as F-14B), that one in my opinion should be modeled first. Not to modern avionics, but good engines, and finely - precision strike capability. The F-14D is actually as good as we can get. New radar, new avionics etc.

Making an F-14A would of course be good, we could fly it in Iranian markings, play some NSAWC scenarios, it would make for few good missions... But it wouldn't serve justice for that outstanding airplane, because all its life, the F-14A was less than was designed to be.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"If a place needs helicopters, it's probably not worth visiting." - Nick Lappos

The F-14A is not a 'true' Tomcat,

I guess for scoring more than 150 kills you could call the F-14A a true Tomcat ;)

And like other have already said as well, I would actually enjoy the challenge to fly a Tomcat where you can't just yank the throttle around. Difficult engines sounds like a lot of fun to me Who didn't enjoy the crappy take-off and landing characteristics of the AFM Su-25? This is great gameplay :)

Well, you know, kittens do scratch a lot :music_whistling:

And that wasn't 150 kills, its actually closer to 70. According to ACIG.org Tomcats scored 50 confirmed kills and 10 claimed during during 1976-1981 period, than add those two Fitters and Floggers Americans shot down... and it's still not even near 150 (I supose, you're quoting the Tom Cooper book ? ).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"If a place needs helicopters, it's probably not worth visiting." - Nick Lappos

• ED Team

Can't say when/if we'll get the chace to to a Tomcat sim someday, but one big thing we lack right now is UNCLASSIFIED data on the F-14's sensor and weapon systems. If anyone comes across this data (not included in the NATOPS), give me a shout. Hopefully, a gray book will eventually become available as open source.