Odd brake calibration ...

VZ_342

So there I was, happily taxiing along when I felt the need to slow down a skosh...applied toe brakes and pulled throttle to idle.

The plane stopped hard, just like I was pressing solidly on the “w” key. That was odd, as I thought the toe brakes were calibrated... I pressed the “w” key just to reset the brakes (?), went into options and the brakes were centered in the cal window.

However, when I just touch the the toe brakes the dots immediately move to the left side, and as I press more on the brakes they move to the right side.

Ok, so I get back in the cockpit and start taxiing...touch the toes and the SU27 immediately stops. Knowing the dots are to the far left (within the cal window), and that the brakes are “off” when the dots are centered, I applied about half pedals and the plane starts moving! If I go full brakes, the plane stops. Letting off the brakes halfway, the plane moves again (I can taxi and takeoff with the pedals halfway)...

The braking system can be reset in-cockpit by releasing toe brakes and then pressing “w” (plane will again move)

Tl;dr = toe brakes immediately go full on when touched, at 1/2 pressure the brakes are “off”, at full pressure brakes are full on. System can be reset by pressing “w”.

Suggestions?

Just checking - I assume you have each pedal mapped to an analogue axis and not a button? Sounds like you do, so that observed behaviour is strange. First step will be to make sure that the individual brake channels aren't mapped to anything else along with your pedals. If that's all squared away... Not sure what to suggest next.

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

However, when I just touch the the toe brakes the dots immediately move to the left side, and as I press more on the brakes they move to the right side.

It sounds like your toe brakes aren't calibrate or there is something else wrong with your pedals or the way they are setup (outside of DCS). I know the brakes work perfectly for me.

Your toe-brakes should never be in the center. They are each a one-way axis. For example, on the DCS controls axis page, my toe brakes are both fully right. When I apply them they move progressively to the left. If I push them half-way, that would put the axis in the middle. I have the axes inverted due to the direction they move.

It almost sounds like you linked your left and right toes into 1 shared axis.

System specs: i7 3820 @4.75Ghz, Asus P9X79LE, EVGA GTX1080SC @2100mhz, 16GB Gskil DDR3 @ 2000mhz, 512GB 960EVO m.2, 2 X 512GB 860EVO SATA3 in RAID0, EVGA Supernova 850W G2, Phantek Entho Luxe White. CPU and GPU custom water-cooled with 420mm rad and lots of Noctua fans.

ASUS PG348Q. VKB Gladiator Pro w/MCG, X-55 throttle and MFG Crosswind.

The axis must be inverted on most rudder pedals via the axis tune menu. This is most likely the issue.

What's happening is when you get in the pit, the toe brakes are off by default. This doesn't change until a control message is sent. As soon as you touch the brake pedal, the axis control takes over and applies full brake.

I’ll look into the setup program for the pedals (CH Pro).

I had CH "pro" *cough* pedals for years. Don't expect very smooth application of the toe brakes even when you get them working right. In my experience, they registered from roughly 10% to 50% of travel, so the remaining 50% of travel isn't doing anything, you'll already be at 100% brakes. It makes for very touchy brakes.

Good luck regardless.

System specs: i7 3820 @4.75Ghz, Asus P9X79LE, EVGA GTX1080SC @2100mhz, 16GB Gskil DDR3 @ 2000mhz, 512GB 960EVO m.2, 2 X 512GB 860EVO SATA3 in RAID0, EVGA Supernova 850W G2, Phantek Entho Luxe White. CPU and GPU custom water-cooled with 420mm rad and lots of Noctua fans.

Brakes are linear unless you manually set up a curve as far as I know. I can't help much more without being there in front of your computer.

It sounds like your toe brakes aren't calibrate or there is something else wrong with your pedals or the way they are setup (outside of DCS). I know the brakes work perfectly for me.

Your toe-brakes should never be in the center. They are each a one-way axis. For example, on the DCS controls axis page, my toe brakes are both fully right. When I apply them they move progressively to the left. If I push them half-way, that would put the axis in the middle. I have the axes inverted due to the direction they move.

It almost sounds like you linked your left and right toes into 1 shared axis.

Thank you Sideslip, I inverted both axis and steering was fixt!

:thumbup:

:pilotfly:

Glad it was an easy fix.