What variant is the DCS Su-30?

FlankerMan

Hello everyone, I have a question that I've never been able to figure out. Like the title says, what variant is the DCS Su-30? It only says 'Su-30 "Flanker-C"', so I have no idea. Ideally, I'd say it's an Su-30MKK/MK2/M2, but those have 12 pylons, this one only has 10. And if it's an Su-30M/K, it shouldn't be able to use any weapons that the already flyable Su-27S can't.

Also, how come it can carry R-27ETs (though oddly enough, not R-27Ts) on the intake stations? I thought that all Flankers could only carry them on the intermediate wing pylons.

Can someone please enlighten me on this? It's been bugging me for a while now.

Edited by FlankerMan

I don't think the DCS version of the Su-30 has changed substantially since the early days of DCS World, so it's most likely a base line Russian Air Force Su-30 which I believe were modified Su-27UB training aircraft. In that case it shouldn't mount anything more advanced that the Su-27S that we get to use. I doubt it's anything as advanced as an MKI or later variants.

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

Hello everyone, I have a question that I've never been able to figure out. Like the title says, what variant is the DCS Su-30? It only says 'Su-30 "Flanker-C"', so I have no idea. Ideally, I'd say it's an Su-30MKK/MK2/M2, but those have 12 pylons, this one only has 10.

IIRC the Su-30 was carried over from as far back as Flanker 2.0, where it was depicted as the initial interceptor variant(aka Su-27PU) and assigned the same weapon's fit as the Su-27.

Sometime along the way(I believe in Lock-on) it was assigned with armament of the proposed "Su-30KN" multirole upgrade for Russian Su-30s(hence still only 10 pylons) - an upgrade that was initially offered along with those for the Su-27(Su-27SM) and Su-27UB(Su-27UBM).

And if it's an Su-30M/K, it shouldn't be able to use any weapons that the already flyable Su-27S can't.

No not if it was the Su-30K(downgraded export variant of the Su-30/Su-27PU pure interceptor). But if it was an Su-30M, it should- this was the very first multirole variant of the Su-30. It was first proposed for Russian service, but rejected and instead offered for export as the "Su-30MK" and thus forming the basis for all the subsequent nation specific sub-variants.

Also, how come it can carry R-27ETs (though oddly enough, not R-27Ts) on the intake stations?

Probably just an age-old mistake, that no one has bothered to correct over time.

I thought that all Flankers could only carry then on the intermediate wing pylons.

Correct. The IR versions of the R-27 must use rail launchers, which in turn cannot be used on fuselage stations due to the proximity to engine inlets.

JJ

So, basically, it's a hodge-podge of proposed but not used Su-30 variants?

The original Russian AF Su-30 did exist, but they were converted Su-27 trainers and only about 5 of them were ever made. So the Su-30 in DCS is a bit of an odd-ball relic. Not sure the VKS uses any of them any more anyway since they intend to convert entirely (AFAIK) to the Su-35 and Su-57 or whatever the T-50 is going to get as a service designation.

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

So, basically, it's a hodge-podge of proposed but not used Su-30 variants?

No not really a "hodge-podge" of variants.

The "Su-30KN" was a multirole upgrade for the "basic" pure interceptor Su-30(aka Su-27PU) and the export version of this(the Su-30K) - i.e. it retains the 10 pylon layout, but gains multirole capability.

Its true that the Russian airforce(or PVO at the time) only operated a handful or so of the Su-30 interceptors, but some 18 units were exported to India as the Su-30K. These were later returned to Russia when India purchased the more advanced Su-30MKI instead.

The returned former Indian Su-30Ks have since been upgraded exactly to Su-30KN standard and resold to Angola. Here is an article about it:

https://airforcesmonthly.keypublishing.com/2017/09/27/angolan-su-30k-breaks-cover/

JJ

• 1 month later...
Say, did the Su-30KN ever get into production? Because otherwise, the in-game model doesn't exist in the real world.

As best I can tell there may be no difference at all between the Su-30KN and the Su-30UBM, or at most the fact that the -30UBM may have an in-flight refuelling probe whereas the -KN may not. I think the distinction could be historical in that the Su-30UBM derived from the original Su-28UB trainer design and was intended for use as a "mini AWACS" by the PVO, the Su-30KN may have derived from the export versions of the Su-30 sold to India, the "K" designation sometimes being used to denote export models.

As to whether or not the Russian VKS actually has any, they may do, but it appears that rather than having a load of different weird & wonderful barely distinct types the AF has settled on the core regiments of Su-27SM's with gradually increasing numbers of Su-35's as the "final" upgrade version of the baseline Su-27 family.

I would imagine that 20 years from now the situation could be analogous in that the Su-35 or later minor derivatives will form the bulk of the line regiments with smaller numbers of Su-57's becoming available as and when production eventually ramps up.

Say, did the Su-30KN ever get into production? Because otherwise, the in-game model doesn't exist in the real world.

Did you read the last paragraph of my above post?

The Su-30KN is not a production variant, but a multirole upgrade for existing airframes(i.e. for the older pure interceptor Su-30/Su-30K). As you can see from the link I provided, former IAF Su-30Ks have been upgraded to this standard and resold to Angola - so it does exist "in the real world".

JJ

As best I can tell there may be no difference at all between the Su-30KN and the Su-30UBM

There is no such thing as an "Su-30UBM" - I think you might be thinking about the Su-27UBM, which is an Su-27UB upgraded in similar fashion to the Su-27SM.

..or at most the fact that the -30UBM may have an in-flight refuelling probe whereas the -KN may not.

Other way around - again both Su-27UBM and Su-30KN are multirole upgrades to older existing airframes.....the Su-27UB doesn't have an IFR probe, while the Su-30/-30K does.

JJ

There is no such thing as an "Su-30UBM" - I think you might be thinking about the Su-27UBM, which is an Su-27UB upgraded in similar fashion to the Su-27SM.

Other way around - again both Su-27UBM and Su-30KN are multirole upgrades to older existing airframes.....the Su-27UB doesn't have an IFR probe, while the Su-30/-30K does.

Duh, my bad and yes I was thinking of the Su-27UBM :doh: thanks for the correction.

Duh, my bad and yes I was thinking of the Su-27UBM :doh: thanks for the correction.

NP :) - and in that case you would be right that there is practically no difference between an Su-27UBM and an Su-30KN, since its the same upgrade package applied to both.

JJ

Huh. This IS confusing. So, the Su-27UBM and in-game Su-30 are essentially the same thing, but the in-game aircraft has an IFR probe. And, the Su-30KN is also basically the same thing, but the upgraded aircraft were only export fighters, so they were referred to as the Su-30K, right?

Huh. This IS confusing. So, the Su-27UBM and in-game Su-30 are essentially the same thing, but the in-game aircraft has an IFR probe. And, the Su-30KN is also basically the same thing, but the upgraded aircraft were only export fighters, so they were referred to as the Su-30K, right?

I think so. Just when things are already too complicated, the Su-30K shouldn't be confused with the Su-27K, also sometimes known as the Su-33! :huh:

Huh. This IS confusing. So, the Su-27UBM and in-game Su-30 are essentially the same thing..

Yes because they got the same multirole upgrade.

...but the in-game aircraft has an IFR probe

Yes because its an upgraded Su-30, which unlike the Su-27UB, always had an IFR probe.

And, the Su-30KN is also basically the same thing

The ingame Su-30 is an Su-30KN - ED changed it to that(gave it multirole capability) at some point in time, but for some reason didn't change the display name accordingly.

, but the upgraded aircraft were only export fighters, so they were referred to as the Su-30K, right?

The export version of the basic Su-30 was called Su-30K(K for export) before it was upgraded - Su-30KN after :) . The KN upgrade could be applied to both the export Su-30K as well as the domestic Russian Su-30. But since Russia only operated a handful of those on evaluation basis and later returned them to Sukhoi, there were no domestic Su-30 interceptors to upgrade.

JJ