Next aircraft speculation

Farlander

An F-5E upgraded to use AIM-7's and AIM-120's would be a good match for a MiG-21 upgraded to use R-27's and R-77's. But we don't have that MiG-21. We have a standard Bis from the 1970's. Its closest western rival is the F-5E from the 1970's, not an "F-5E" upgraded more recently to use all the latest goodies. It also isn't an F-8, a plane that was retired from service at the same time the MiG-21Bis was first entering service.

The F-8 would be a good opponent for an earlier MiG-21, just not the one we have. To put this in a WW2 perspective (since it maybe easier for some to grasp), saying an early 1960's MiG-21 is the same as a Bis is like saying a Bf-109E3 from 1939 is the same as a Bf-109K4 from 1945. Yes, they are the same basic plane, but you really wouldn't want to fight a Bf-109K4 in a Hurricane Mk.I.:smilewink:

Edit: It's true that none of these are likely contenders. I'm still betting on something like an Su-22, Su-24 or some other attacker. The Japanese plane suggested earlier seems possible, though I think unlikely given the obscurity of it.

Edited by King_Hrothgar

IR missiles and guns vs IR missiles and guns.

The end.

Just so long as it doesn't have an AIM120C, a 200km range radar or a nuclear death cannon, I'm happy.

And I wouldn't complain overly about early AIM7 vs R3R, provided failures are built in.

Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit | i7-4790K@4GHz | 8GB RAM | GTX970 347.52

From all the pictures I have seen, one of the next two aircrafts is clearly a Douglas A-1 Skyraider. It flew over Korea, a country that is not far away from Japan. It's a prop plane, much like the Hellcat. It is carrier based, explaining the image of an old carrier. Cockpit looks quite similar to a Corsair cockpit... It is a Skyraider, I am sure of it!

but you really wouldn't want to fight a Bf-109K4 in a Hurricane Mk.I.:smilewink:

You haven't seen my little group of nerds on Il-2 nights. :pilotfly:

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

Kind of out of left field, but maybe one of the two unannounced projects is an S-3 Viking? It had A2G radar right? That would be awesome. The Viking has really grown on me over the years. I would build a full 100% scale cockpit of that bad Mofo, if one were created for DCS. -Woog

Isn't anyone going to comment on the fact that there is a F-5E on the picture of today's newsletter?

I think this is just the new external model from ED that has alerady been shown on a previous EDGE screenshot.

Where can I find this newsletter??

-Nick

the newsletter email was essentialy this , just with a picture of an F-5 on top, no more information in it ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"There's nothing to be gained by second guessing yourself.

You can't remake the past, so look ahead... or risk being left behind."

Noli Timere Messorem

"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always been there first, and is waiting for it."

Terry Pratchett

Just hit me. The rising sun pattern in their banner...

1920px-U-2S_and_F-5F_VFC-111_at_NAS_Key_West_2008.jpg

VFC-111...

F-5E/N would see a lot of use as an adversary, especially with NTTR on the way. Not to mention, could be good for a SoCal map! I can dream....

Two sets of campaigns for a SoCal map based at Fighter Weapons school: one for Tomcat and one for the F-5E.

Now I'm getting suspicious.

Also, the South Koreans used it for combat and the IRIAF used it as a strike fighter with iron bombs. Seems that the F-5E would find a lot of use with the coming maps/campaigns for DCS World 2.

-Nick

log into your ED account on ED main page, there is a link personal section -> newsletter

but back on topic i'd say ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Noli Timere Messorem

"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always been there first, and is waiting for it."

Terry Pratchett

Just hit me. The rising sun pattern in their banner...

1920px-U-2S_and_F-5F_VFC-111_at_NAS_Key_West_2008.jpg

VFC-111...

F-5E/N would see a lot of use as an adversary, especially with NTTR on the way. Not to mention, could be good for a SoCal map! I can dream....

Two sets of campaigns for a SoCal map based at Fighter Weapons school: one for Tomcat and one for the F-5E.

Now I'm getting suspicious.

Also, the South Koreans used it for combat and the IRIAF used it as a strike fighter with iron bombs. Seems that the F-5E would find a lot of use with the coming maps/campaigns for DCS World 2.

-Nick

The F-5E is very high on my wishlist, it's #1 for western fixed wing and I'd like it far more than the F-14. That said, it doesn't really fit any of the clues given out by LNS. It would be a relatively simple plane to make though and it has seen a ton of action around the world. It would fit anything from Vietnam to Iran/Iraq to present day training at NTTR. That said, the F-5E is already in game as an AI and the updated model for it was first shown months ago. I don't think there is any reason to think LNS is working on it atm in a serious capacity.

The F-5E is very high on my wishlist, it's #1 for western fixed wing and I'd like it far more than the F-14. That said, it doesn't really fit any of the clues given out by LNS. It would be a relatively simple plane to make though and it has seen a ton of action around the world. It would fit anything from Vietnam to Iran/Iraq to present day training at NTTR. That said, the F-5E is already in game as an AI and the updated model for it was first shown months ago. I don't think there is any reason to think LNS is working on it atm in a serious capacity.

It seems to fit all the clues by my count.

1. Rising Sun pattern on their banner - VFC-111 emblem for the current F-5E/N squadron.

2. It is a "modern" aircraft - as mentioned by Cobra

3. Ground radar - the current F-5E uses the AN/APG-69 that includes beam mapping and A-G capability (upgraded in the 1980s - I think, can't find an exact date).

What other clues were there? This seems to cover everything, now with other hints from ED, it seems very likely to me.

-Nick

Edited by BlackLion213

Next module for release...summing up the clues

THis turned into a duplicate post. Here is another F-5E VFC-111 picture.

img_1?1276262685

We'll see what happens. Looks like something might be mentioned soon...(in relative terms of course ;) ).

-Nick

Edited by BlackLion213

does anyone know what this bottle below the tailsection is for?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Noli Timere Messorem

Terry Pratchett

What other clues were there? This seems to cover everything, now with other hints from ED, it seems very likely to me.

-Nick

It certainly fits with most of the clues and I definitely wouldn't mind flying an F-5. I think the only clue missing was Cobra mentioning something about a duck (the avatar Rudel has obviously being related to whatever the WWII plane will be). I can't recall where he mentioned that hint (interview or forum) so someone else will need to track it down.

"Hurled headlong flaming from the ethereal sky; With hideous ruin and combustion down;
To bottomless perdition, there to dwell; In adamantine chains and penal fire"

(RIG info is outdated, will update at some point) i5 @3.7GHz (OC to 4.1), 16GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 970 4GB, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro, TM Warthog HOTAS, VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV, Razer Blackshark Headset, Obutto Ozone

I just think it would be rather strange that ED is making a new F-5E 3D model for a LNS aircraft.

How do you know the model is ED's?

Link to my Imgur screenshots and motto

http://imgur.com/a/Gt7dF

One day in DCS... Vipers will fly along side Tomcats... Bugs with Superbugs, Tiffy's with Tornado's, Fulcrums with Flankers and Mirage with Rafales...

:)The Future of DCS is a bright one:)