BS3 and Upgrade Rocket

Hello, here is some information found on Wikipedia.

Source : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamov_Ka-50

Ka-50/52 can also carry several rocket pods, including the S-13 and S-8 rockets. The "dumb" rocket pods could be upgraded to laser guided with the proposed Ugroza system.[67]

For BS3 can we consider an upgrade of the rockets to Ugroza system?

That would be a really valuable upgrade, most of all if could be realistic without additional avionics (i.e. skhval and laser beam would be sufficient?).

It would also "solve" (workaround?) the very low efficiency of current rockets.

ChromiumDis.png

Author of DSMC, mod to enable scenario persistency and save updated miz file

Stable version & site: https://dsmcfordcs.wordpress.com/

Openbeta: https://github.com/Chromium18/DSMC

The thing is, helicopters are different from planes. An airplane by it's nature wants to fly, and if not interfered with too strongly by unusual events or by a deliberately incompetent pilot, it will fly. A helicopter does not want to fly. It is maintained in the air by a variety of forces in opposition to each other, and if there is any disturbance in this delicate balance the helicopter stops flying; immediately and disastrously.

Yes, it would be a very valuable upgrade!

Nothing special about these guided folding fin rockets, even the MI-8 and hind can carry them, not sure if they could laz for them though, for sure not the Mi-8.

They only needs to be in the airports inventory and the Kamov is off to cause serious bloody trouble on the battlefield.... Nice. :)

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Ugroza is a laser upgrade kit for the seeker part, where the rocket motor is maintained.

It is unlike a APKWS II kit that is added between warhead (+ fuze in noze) and rocket motor and adds about 30 cm length, a complete new rocket head where the seeker is where the fuze was in previous models.

There is lots of information about APKWS II, all the dimensions, the functionality, ranges, weights etc etc. Even the complete 3D modeling data is available.

But what comes to Ugroza, there is far less. There is like basic principles that the guidance requires only one second laser time, and in that time the rocket will use its 4 or 6 microboosters (that are in the guidance section at front, small reddish square holes) to correct the rocket heading to target and it is Lock-On-After-Launch. But it is basically that. Not much information about Field Of View for the seeker that how accurately you need to aim it at the target (APKWS II has 40 degree FOV). The APKWS II uses small fins (ailerons IIRC) through whole flight time as it has own small battery, and it is so on possible hit moving targets. But about Ugroza there is no info about how much fuel does that guidance section hold so how long it can change guidance, than just that one second?

The Ugroza has finished the tests and been optional for purchase. And it has been presented in various shows since 1999 among other available rockets for the different platforms.

DSC_0407cr.jpg

But as typical, many will state that if the ED can't get the military designers documents and all the specs, they can't implement systems (regardless that ED does a lot of things based just the guessing or assumptions).

And some would come to say that if the weapon was not available on that time when the airframe was issued in action, no new weapons should be available (again, this time KA-50 in DCS is from 2003, and Ugroza is from 1999).

Edited by Fri13
Added photo.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Yes, it would be a very valuable upgrade!

Nothing special about these guided folding fin rockets, even the MI-8 and hind can carry them, not sure if they could laz for them though, for sure not the Mi-8.

That's right. There is nothing to the launching platform.

All these rockets are Lock-On-After-Launch, and no connection is to the platform.

No modifications for hardware or software is done for them.

So all you need is a rocket pod, and means to launch the rockets.

It is pilot another task to secure the means that there is a laser pointed and designating the target in direction where pilot is launching these rockets. Be it a own designated or someone else, and in those cases just make sure that the designator is not in the FOV of the rocket (or bombs and missiles etc) as those can seek to the designator instead the spot where laser is fired.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

But as typical, many will state that if the ED can't get the military designers documents and all the specs, they can't implement systems (regardless that ED does a lot of things based just the guessing or assumptions).

And some would come to say that if the weapon was not available on that time when the airframe was issued in action, no new weapons should be available (again, this time KA-50 in DCS is from 2003, and Ugroza is from 1999).

:clap_2::thumbup:

I'd honestly prioritise getting a better modelling of warhead fragmentation... and after that being able to load only four or eight Vikhrs to save weight... but I admit that guided rockets would make BS3 more attractive to a lot of people.

There so far is no evidence the Ugroza has ever been built into the Ka-50.

And no: Wikipedia linking to a nowadays unexistent dubious website which claims Ugroza is real in a 5 paragraph article without giving any source is no evidence. Period.

This is a simulation, not a "but i want!!" fairy tale. ED won't implement this without proper evidence no matter the crybaby-factor.

Gone for good.

• 2 weeks later...

Any unguided rocket we have is accurate, but it´s more meant as a weapon for assaulting positions, i.e. you pretty much wreck havoc with air-launched artillery. Ugroza would add a different element to these rockets, one of the more precise nature, where one rocket = one enemy (car, truck, apc, etc...) dead. It would be not only a new weapon, but new tactics. I have always wanted these rockets, as a substitute to the normal unguided rockets, simply because of the variety of tactics that it would introduce. I have never read about Ugroza on Ka50, but if ED can get info on this, I see no problem with it. I support it. Though realism first.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]