Guard Frequency - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-11-2020, 05:22 PM   #1
Grodlund

Default Guard Frequency

Hey dudes
How do you edit the Guard Frequency?
I have tried to figure it out, but failed

When you click EMG on the UFC, you can select UHF or VHF and see the default frequencies, but clicking the arrow buttons to edit them does nothing.

Not much luck using the radio panel either.

Plzhelpmkay?
Old 01-11-2020, 05:35 PM   #2
Rudel_chw
Veteran

The Guard frequencies are for emergency use, and thus can’t be changed. They are:

UHF : 243 MHz AM
VHF : 121.5 MHz AM

Here are a few notes on the radio use, that I wrote for my kneeboard, hope you may find them useful:

https://1drv.ms/b/s!Ai6cuX3YQI26hoRVzu-VR9reKBY-EQ

Last edited by Rudel_chw; 01-11-2020 at 05:38 PM.
Rudel_chw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 05:44 PM   #3
Grodlund

Ack!
That kind of sux now, doesn't it.
I wanted to tune the Guard to the AWACS channel.

So.
We have one radio dedicated to Datalink.
And one for talking. Basically you have to be talking over the AWACS/EWR all the time then.

Unless you by cheer luck happen to have the AWACS on 243 XD
Old 01-11-2020, 06:30 PM   #4
Rudel_chw
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grodlund View Post
Ack!

No, it doesnt .. if every pilot tuned the Guard to whichever frequency they fancied, then when a real emergency call was made, no one would hear it, as everyone would have the Guard on different frequencies.
Rudel_chw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 06:50 PM   #5
shagrat
ED Translator

Quote:
Ack!

So.
And one for talking. Basically you have to be talking over the AWACS/EWR all the time then.

The idea of the Guard frequency for emergency is to have a frequency that every aircraft can use to talk to others or ground e.g. airports in case big an emergency in flight. E. g. a fighter jet intercepts a civilian plane that is nearing a restricted airspace. As shooting down civilian plane isn't that popular in most parts of the world, the pilot can approach the plane and if the civilian pilot sees him switch to guard and can advise him to alter course, before he needs to shoot him down.
The frequency is fixed around the world, so it works universally.

- Flying Sims since 1984 -
Win 10 | i5 7600K@4.0GHz | 32GB | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB - Acer XB280HK 28" 4k | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | TM HOTAS Warthog custom extension | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | TM Cougar MFDs |a hand made UFC | AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)
shagrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 12:08 AM   #6
Harlikwin
Veteran

Quote:
Ack!

So.

Seriously?

The Guard channel is the GUARD channel. its not for tuning awacs. Its for listening to downed pilots or other emergencies. Not the least bit Sorry if that doesn't "work for you".
Old 01-13-2020, 06:51 AM   #7
Grodlund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlikwin View Post
Seriously?

The Guard channel is the GUARD channel. its not for tuning awacs. Its for listening to downed pilots or other emergencies. Not the least bit Sorry if that doesn't "work for you".
I didn't ask for you to be sorry. And I don't need it either.
Listening to downed pilots might be useful in real life.
In this game however, it's not.

In this game it's useful to have a radio for AWACS/EWR.
That's why I asked.

But thx. You may keep your sorries
Old 01-13-2020, 09:49 AM   #8
shagrat
ED Translator

Quote:

That's why I asked.

I hate to break the news, but this is the wrong Simulation for you, if you expect to get magical toys and tools beyond what the real plane provides.
There are cheats and options provided to ease your handling of devices and reduce your workload, but Guard Frequency is a fixed frequency circuit and not a third radio.
It cannot(!) be changed by the pilot. Its purpose forbids this and it is way more than "listening to downed pilots".
A simple way to switch between frequencies are the channel presets. That might help.

- Flying Sims since 1984 -
Win 10 | i5 7600K@4.0GHz | 32GB | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB - Acer XB280HK 28" 4k | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | TM HOTAS Warthog custom extension | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | TM Cougar MFDs |a hand made UFC | AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)
shagrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 03:41 PM   #9
Harlikwin
Veteran

Quote:

That's why I asked.

The Jeff has 2 radios one of which you typically use for the D/L, and its a very real IRL limitation of the air frame, and it increases pilot workload. You know "real simulator" issues. And honestly its not hard to punch in a different freq when you need it.

Same thing with the CM programs, unlike western jets getting a separate flare/chaff dispense button? Not there. Again, a limitation of the airframe.

Don't like it? Need Haxxx? Well, maybe this isn't the game for you.

Ace combat is that way... ---->
Old 01-13-2020, 05:47 PM   #10
Terrorban

Quote:

That's why I asked.

I understand your frustration but cannot agree with your reasoning. The best bet you might have is to request someone to mod it in for you instead of expecting the developers to tweak the simulation.

Most people here spend weeks debating if functions on this simulator are reaslistic enough when compared with the actual thing. You are asking for the opposite so you can see from the responses that this is probably not the best place or software for these kinds of questions and arguements.

Calling it a game wont change the fact that this is a game within the "simulation" category and its main selling point is the incredible level of detail when compared with the real aircrafts.

These are 3RD Party Developers so if one does something for the sake of gameplay, please do not expect that all the other developers will follow through with that rule.

I have seen people talk that the developers will eventually add another radio into this jet but so far I did not find any official statement so not sure about the validity of that information. I guess we will find out when they discuss the AAR function.

I hope this helps and wish you a nice time flying.

Other Modules : Combined Arms ¦ Persian Gulf

TRAINED -LEARNING- UNTOUCHED

Last edited by Terrorban; 01-13-2020 at 08:37 PM. Reason: typos
Terrorban is offline   Reply With Quote