Kneeboard Builder (windows app)

AlaskanGrizzly

OK.  Thanks.

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

I do not understand it, but this morning I reinstalled KB from the beginning and it works.  I copied over some of the airplane folders to the new install.

• Like 1

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

New issue.  When I start an existing KB, it will not load.  However, if I re-download KB and start from scratch, it works fine until I have to re-boot my computer, then it will not start again. 

5 minutes ago, sobe said:

New issue.  When I start an existing KB, it will not load.  However, if I re-download KB and start from scratch, it works fine until I have to re-boot my computer, then it will not start again. 

Sounds like antivirus action, check the antivirus logs to be sure it is not blocking the KB. Also, check the windows application log to see if there is an entry when the KB fails to load … we need more clues.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Where is the window app log?

7 hours ago, sobe said:

Where is the window app log?

In Windows, <Winodws-button><S> to open the Search box, enter "event viewer", without the quotes, and press <Enter>, click [Open].

I doubt you will find anything of value there though.

Check first in your anti-virus software. It should have a log for everything it does. If it blocked KBB you will find a definitive report there that it was blocked and why.

You can always attempt to start KBB to generate a reaction from your anti-virus SW, if that is the cause. Then the report will be right near the top of the log.

Edited by Captain Orso
spelling/gramar
  • Like 1

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

I have white listed the KB exe in my Webroot software so that does not seem to be the issue. 

Latest Issue;

---------------------------
There was an error!
Use Ctrl + C to copy this error and e-mail it to s13solutions@gmail.com :  

System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.

Parameter name: path

at System.IO.Directory.GetParent(String path)

at KneeboardBuilder.Viewmodels.MainViewModel.BackupAircraftDefaultGroups(String _origPath)

at KneeboardBuilder.Viewmodels.MainViewModel.LoadAircraftData()

at KneeboardBuilder.Viewmodels.MainViewModel.Initilization()

at KneeboardBuilder.Viewmodels.MainViewModel..ctor()

at KneeboardBuilder.Views.MainView..ctor()
OK   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sobe said:

Latest Issue;

There was an error!

Hi, I'm so sorry that I have not been able to help you, all I can say is that the Utility still works on my PC (Windows 10 Pro, DCS latest OB), it even recognizes variants of an aircraft, like the just released Mirage F1EE:

43ZUTaR.jpg

It creates the correct folder at /Saved Games/DCS/Kneeboards\

m8t0ED8.jpg

and of course, it works in-game:

loRtxn4.jpg

Wish you luck finding the cause of this issue.

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

This is not fair.

Rudel Chw. I have converted a PDF to PNG by using a conversion program.  So where do I put the png file so it will appear in the game kneeboarding?

1 hour ago, sobe said:

Rudel Chw. I have converted a PDF to PNG by using a conversion program.  So where do I put the png file so it will appear in the game kneeboarding?

It depends, if it is a kneeboard for a specific aircraft, you place it on one of the following folders (it may be necessary to create the folder manually using windows file management):

yQHrFiJ.jpg

If it is a kneeboard for a Terrain, you have to place it on the DCS program folder, for example for Syria, the path is:

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\terrains\Syria\Kneeboard

If it is a kneeboard for a specific mission, you place it within the MIZ file, on a KNEEBOARD\IMAGES folder.

• Like 1

For the time being, as I cannot get kb to work, is their a file that I can change to move all Kneeboards to my third screen or do you have to do this for each plane?

2 hours ago, sobe said:

For the time being, as I cannot get kb to work, is their a file that I can change to move all Kneeboards to my third screen or do you have to do this for each plane?

I dont use KB for moving or resizing the DCS kneeboard, as that feature has been bugged ever since DCS introduced its own features for moving and resizing the  Kneeboard, maybe that is the reason why KB does not work on your PC, I use KB just to convert the pdf files and place them on the kneeboard.

I’m not aware of a way to move the DCS kneeboard to another screen, as I only have a single screen.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 8:55 PM, sobe said:

Latest Issue;  [...]

Yeah, I've got the exact same issue. I just installed it clean and it wouldn't work out of the box. I can delete `KneeboardBuilder.exe.Config` and it will ask for initial settings but when that's filled it restarts and always bugs out with that error. 

And here I just wanted to use it to convert some pdfs for A29B kneeboards. Oh well...

EDIT: Okay, so I deleted the config file, chose "Stable" in the DCS World Install Directory (not custom, no dir actually picked) and saved the settings. After restart KB just says that DCS isn't installed in whatever directory, that's alright with me because... It doesn't crash! So I can actually use it now - import and convert pdfs works just fine, just can't use the more advanced stuff I guess.

Edited by Xupicor
made it not crash, pdf-convert now works
  • Like 1
  • Windows 11 Pro, RTX4090 (24GB), 5950X @ 4.3GHz, 64GB RAM @ 3000MHz, M.2 SSD 8TB, Pimax Crystal
  • Modules and maps: All of 'em. (It's a problem...)

Xupicor

Great idea and it works for me also.  I was looking at the cost of using Adobe to do the converting, but it was expensive and I didn't trust the free conversion programs. 

So if you need to move the kneeboard to a second or third screen, I have attached a folder that does that for me.  See line 33-34. If it does not work for you, you can take a look at the last post below. 

Something must have caused the KB to stop working because of a recent update by DCS.  However, I am not capable of understanding the error message to correct the problem.  Up to the developer I guess.

Kneeboard reposition 2nd version.7z

• Like 1

UPDATE:  I am still trying to get the KB to work.  I have now received a new error message stating that it could not find bin>dcs.exe.  I went into the Bin folder and unchecked hidden files and confirmed that DCS.exe is in my bin folder.  Very confusing.

Worked fine a few days ago now getting this error when I start it.  I can reinstall and it'll open until I configure it then get the same error.

There was an error!

Parameter name: path
   at System.IO.Directory.GetParent(String path)
   at KneeboardBuilder.Viewmodels.MainViewModel.BackupAircraftDefaultGroups(String _origPath)
   at KneeboardBuilder.Viewmodels.MainViewModel.LoadAircraftData()
   at KneeboardBuilder.Viewmodels.MainViewModel.Initilization()
   at KneeboardBuilder.Viewmodels.MainViewModel..ctor()
   at KneeboardBuilder.Views.MainView..ctor()
OK   

Edited by Snoopy

Great stuff Alaskan Grizzly! Thank you!

I do need a little clarification as to how the program works because KneeboardBuilder is creating duplicate aircraft folders in my SavedGames\Kneeboard folder. I have source material ie kneeboards, that I have saved in those folders, and DCS references those folders, and I'm guessing that KneeboardBuilder is changing what DCS is referencing, so what do you recommend as a folder structure? I am thinking that I should move all my source material out of the aircraft folders and delete the aircraft folders and let KneeboardBuilder recreate the aircraft folders when I create kneeboards from the alternate source locations. Do you foresee any issues with this plan?

Thanks again for this great program!

Edited by maajr57
Want to follow
  • Like 1

Snoopy

I have the same problem so at least it is not just me and my computer.

1 hour ago, sobe said:

I have the same problem so at least it is not just me and my computer.

I have been experimenting. The answer is yes. Move or copy your SavedGames aircraft folders and let Kneeboard builder recreate them each time you change them in KneeboardBuilder. There is a folder called KneeBoard Groups in the KneeboardBuilder program folder where you will organize your kneeboard components then build a custom kneeboard from your component source material whenever you need to change. Hope this helps.

Any chance the AlaskanGrizzly can get KneeboardBuilder to read the Terrain kneeboards and allow the user to select the ones we need to use to minimize the number of maps we have to sift through? Add it to the feature request list.

• Like 1

maajr57

I am glad there seems to be an answer, but I am a little confused.  Could you further explain Move or copy your SavedGames aircraft folders and let Kneeboard builder recreate them each time you change them in KneeboardBuilder.  Do you mean that I should delete my kneeboard folder in saved games?

Do I put the PDF/PNG files that I converted into the kneeboard Groups?

Edited by sobe

I have noticed an interesting bug that might be affecting other users. I have two installs of DCS open beta. One on a D drive and another on a C drive. I specified the correct install on the C drive as well as the saved game folder on the C drive. I made sure to click save after specifying the correct directories in the preferences dialog. But if I open the prefs dialog again, KB lists the DCS folder in the D drive install. I dont know why it thinks the DCS on the D drive is 'mama' and it keeps running home to that one. but it is annoying and has created some degree of confusion for me until i realized this.

Also, I read about profiles in the manual. However, I cannot find a settings page where I can specify profiles in KB. I am running KB 1.9.0.0 downbloaded from the official website.

4930K @ 4.5, 32g ram, TitanPascal