Missing targets when using CCIP

gesusc

Hey all, I've noticed recently that in the F-16 when I am using CCIP I cannot for the life of me hit any targets. The impact point is always a good distance in front of where I pickled. As far as I know I am doing everything properly and for what its worth a couple months ago I had no problems hitting targets. I am doing everything exactly the same as the unguided bombing video Matt Wagner posted awhile back (

).

Anyways, I was wondering if this is a potential bug that others have seen or if its just me. Thanks!

Hey all, I've noticed recently that in the F-16 when I am using CCIP I cannot for the life of me hit any targets. The impact point is always a good distance in front of where I pickled. As far as I know I am doing everything properly and for what its worth a couple months ago I had no problems hitting targets. I am doing everything exactly the same as the unguided bombing video Matt Wagner posted awhile back (
).

Anyways, I was wondering if this is a potential bug that others have seen or if its just me. Thanks!

That's why I use multiple bombs. I either drop a pair on a single target, or drop multiple in ripple. They're unguided so the computer can only give you a best "estimate" of where they'll land. It's not a guarentee they'll land exactly on that spot.

If it has to absolutely die in 1 hit, load up on GBU's and lase them in.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Are you dropping multiple bombs? Unlike the F-18, the F-16 drops the bombs so that the middle of the “stick” of bombs hits the CCIP point. So if you drop 3 bombs at 200ft intervals, then the first would land 200ft before the location of you CCIP pipper when released, the second would land on target and the 3rd, 200 feet past.

If it’s a single bomb issue, then who knows.

Guys. You’re all being effected by the HUD offset bug, as reported here.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=263441

All ground related symbology (horizon line, pitch ladder, FPM, CCIP pipper, Strafe pipper, Target locator box and TGP box) is shifted upwards on the HUD roughly 1 degree. This makes CCIP innacurate, and the FPV somewhat useless as well.

If you’re sat on the ground and the horizon line is above the horizon then you are having this bug. This bug generally appears when the jet is cold started. Although apparently for some people it’s intermittent I get it 100% of the time with a cold start. With a hot start jet, I don’t get this bug and CCIP is accurate.

It’s Reported and will be fixed pronto hopefully.

Edited by Deano87

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Hmmm, not seeing this at all. I was doing some CCIP practice just last night with BDU-33s and Mk-82s (singles) and the bombs were hitting right where the pipper was at pickle. However, I'm running the stable version off of Steam so maybe the bug never made it to me.

Aside from any bug, the success of CCIP bombing is to have a stable platform at the moment you press the release button. Having G on the jet, banking, turning, etc all will contribute to a miss. You can drop in a slight bank as long as it's not changing. The squirrels running on their treadmills in the bombing computer have a hard time keeping up with any changes. ;-)

One of the best techniques is to use the flight path marker to set the aim off point (AOP) beyond the target and accept the dive angle even if its not a perfect 10, 20 or 30 degree dive. Freeze the AOP, get the DIL to track directly over the target and then wait for the pipper to get to the target. By freezing the AOP, you ensure that you're not putting G on the jet, which is 99% of the time a culprit to a miss. In fact, a common technique is to very slightly unload the jet (slight push on the stick) just before pickle. With practice, you should be able to fairly easily shack a vehicle sized target with a single bomb without having to use ripple or pairs.

In fact when I'm practicing, I try to make it a mental game with myself to call the bomb impact point in my head before I see the actual impact by noting where the dot was at pickle in relation to the target. For instance, just off at 4 o'clock, Slightly 12 o'clock, etc. CCIP can be very precise if you do your part.

Edited by Notso

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

Hmmm, not seeing this at all. I was doing some CCIP practice just last night with BDU-33s and Mk-82s (singles) and the bombs were hitting right where the pipper was at pickle. However, I'm running the stable version off of Steam so maybe the bug never made it to me.

Aside from any bug, the success of CCIP bombing is to have a stable platform at the moment you press the release button. Having G on the jet, banking, turning, etc all will contribute to a miss. You can drop in a slight bank as long as it's not changing. The squirrels running on their treadmills in the bombing computer have a hard time keeping up with any changes. ;-)

One of the best techniques is to use the flight path marker to set the aim off point (AOP) beyond the target and accept the dive angle even if its not a perfect 10, 20 or 30 degree dive. Freeze the AOP, get the DIL to track directly over the target and then wait for the pipper to get to the target. By freezing the AOP, you ensure that you're not putting G on the jet, which is 99% of the time a culprit to a miss. In fact, a common technique is to very slightly unload the jet (slight push on the stick) just before pickle. With practice, you should be able to fairly easily shack a vehicle sized target with a single bomb without having to use ripple or pairs.

In fact when I'm practicing, I try to make it a mental game with myself to call the bomb impact point in my head before I see the actual impact by noting where the dot was at pickle in relation to the target. For instance, just off at 4 o'clock, Slightly 12 o'clock, etc. CCIP can be very precise if you do your part.

The bug was apparently introduced in the open beta.

All good bombing advice. I realize this is a tangent, but I personally like the PBIL in the A-10C because it takes into account my bank. In the F-16 the PBIL is always perpendicular to the horizon, so any left-right error when I roll out is much harder to correct with roll inputs IMHO. Is this working as intended or just not feature complete?

The bug was apparently introduced in the open beta.

All good bombing advice. I realize this is a tangent, but I personally like the PBIL in the A-10C because it takes into account my bank. In the F-16 the PBIL is always perpendicular to the horizon, so any left-right error when I roll out is much harder to correct with roll inputs IMHO. Is this working as intended or just not feature complete?

Nope, it works the way it's supposed to. I actually find the A-10 a bit difficult, but only because I'm used to the way the F-16 works. ETA, that's why using the FPM to set the aim off point is so critical to ensure the DIL tracks through the target.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB