VRK - a virtual reality enabled kneeboard with touch and ink support

AMVI_Rider

VRK - a virtual reality enabled kneeboard with touch and ink support  

172 members have voted

1. 1. VRK - a virtual reality enabled kneeboard with touch and ink support

• Yes
    • No

With DCS 2.5.6 VRK is not showing anymore the kneeboards on Oculus.

I see that everything is in place but some "layer" has been added which covers the overlays. I'm investigating the problem.

SteamVR seems unaffected.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Ryzen 5 3600X - 32GB DD4 3200C14 Win10 64 - Geforce GTX 1080Ti

Hotas Warhog + Virpil T-50 base - Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals - Cougar MFCDs - Custom head tracker

35" UWQHD main display + 22" MFCD/Helios display / Rift S

2x256 GB SSD - 2Tb Caviar Green

1.3.3.03 Version is available for download

This release fixes some bugs and adds an option to support DCS 2.5.6 and, generally speaking, to ignore depthmap provided to Oculus compositor.

Warning: starting from version 1.3, the client/server mode is not included anymore because the development of new features was complicated by this mode. Users utilizing client/server should stay with latest 1.2 release.

Changelog:

[1.3.3.03]

[NEW] Oculus: option to drop overlay depth information from VR world (DCS 2.5.6 hiding VRK)

[FIX] Deadlock when restarting VR and active KB is changed

[FIX] KB2 not resetting to proper angle

[FIX] Double function events received by panels

[FIX] Pen tip function not property reset when switching active KB

Official download location: https://www.amvi.it/download429-vr-kneeboard.html

Donation link: https://tinyurl.com/vrk-donate

I would like to thank again all VRK supporters for their donations and suggestions!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Hotas Warhog + Virpil T-50 base - Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals - Cougar MFCDs - Custom head tracker

1.3.3.3 has a confirmed problem that blocks the pen input as soon as the first active kneeboard switch happens.

For the bolds, I have a quick fix package here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1a8I36HIz_c4zitBAmmcuvyixuVCKg1OK/view?usp=sharing

The fix is safe and straightforward, but I cannot completely test it from here. I "urgently" need some feedback to release it via the usual channel.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

1.3.3.3 has a confirmed problem that blocks the pen input as soon as the first active kneeboard switch happens.

For the bolds, I have a quick fix package here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1a8I36HIz_c4zitBAmmcuvyixuVCKg1OK/view?usp=sharing

The fix is safe and straightforward, but I cannot completely test it from here. I "urgently" need some feedback to release it via the usual channel.

Installed 1.3.3.3 with the quick update and seems to be working fine! Even imported a mission file from a campaign mission! Appreciate the quick fix! I'll play a bit more with it later this afternoon, but so far so good!

Edited by epolta
spelling

Installed 1.3.3.3 with the quick update and seems to be working fine! Even imported a mission file from a campaign mission! Appreciate the quick fix! I'll play a bit more with it later this afternoon, but so far so good!

Thank you, appreciated!

My apologies for all these oscillations, I promise to behave better in the future :music_whistling:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

1.3.3.04 Version is available for download

This is a quick fix release that addresses a problem causing the pen to stop working after the first active kneeboard switch.

Warning: starting from version 1.3, the client/server mode is not included anymore because the development of new features was complicated by this mode. Users utilizing client/server should stay with latest 1.2 release.

Changelog:

[1.3.3.04]

[FIX] Unable to write after first switch of active kneeboard

[FIX] Copy from KB1

[1.3.3.03]

[NEW] Oculus: option to drop overlay depth information from VR world (DCS 2.5.6 hiding VRK)

[FIX] Deadlock when restarting VR and active KB is changed

[FIX] KB2 not resetting to proper angle

[FIX] Double function events received by panels

[FIX] Pen tip function not property reset when switching active KB

I would like to thank all VRK supporters for their donations and suggestions!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Version 1.3.3.06 is available for download

This version will fix some minor problems and introduces some performance improvements and features.

Changelog:

[1.3.3.06]

[FIX] Disabled kneeboards becomes active

[NEW] Option to disable stroke rounding

[FIX] Cursor to stroke offset

[CHG] Better stylus event management

[CHG] Configuration cleanup

[NEW] Checkbox to disable automatic switch of active kneeboard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Possible suggestion

With the dual kneeboards I run into an issue with which is in focus. I'm right handed and have my tablet on my right leg. When I go to the F10 map to copy coords, they're located in the far upper left of the screen. What results is my writing getting spread over both kneeboards.

A couple possible solutions I've thought of.

1) a key based focus toggle

2) a switching delay to change focus

3) required looking directly at the kneeboard to change focus and then it holds that until the other board is directly looked at.

Thoughts?

With the dual kneeboards I run into an issue with which is in focus. I'm right handed and have my tablet on my right leg. When I go to the F10 map to copy coords, they're located in the far upper left of the screen. What results is my writing getting spread over both kneeboards.

A couple possible solutions I've thought of.

1) a key based focus toggle

2) a switching delay to change focus

3) required looking directly at the kneeboard to change focus and then it holds that until the other board is directly looked at.

Thoughts?

I agree with 1 and 3. Everything can be done by a switching mode selection with several options like:

Automatic closer (this is the current behavior)

Automatic focused (your option 3)

Manual (function on button/keyboard)

I'm actively working on kneeboard positioning with VR controller which will make configuration of position and angles obsolete if you have a controller. This feature is almost finished and I could integrate this change easily in that release.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

I'm finalising the next Active Kneeboard switch behaviour control. Now it's time to share some details with you and look for feedbacks.

There will be three things that control it:

1. Master mode which will control the general behaviour of the switch between kneeboards. You will have three choices: Automatic (closer), Automatic (focused) and Manual only.
  2. A button/keyboard function that overrides the automatic mode and allows to manually switch between kneeboards. This will cycle between the kneeboards and then goes back to the master mode. If master mode is Manual this function will cycle the kneeboards only.
  3. The GUI checkbox that disabled the automatic switching at all (this overrides everything else).

Of course when in manual mode (by any means) you can still click on the kneeboard name to set it active.

This, in my opinion, should cover almost any use case. Do you have any additional thoughts?

Edited by AMVI_Rider

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Ordered my Wacom Intuos S. Should be here this week. Downloaded VRK and played with it a bit on the PC. Can't wait for the tablet to arrive so I can try it out in DCS.

Cheers for all your work.

I just want to say thank you for making such an awesome app. It's so useful!

Incredible tool you made !!

My Intuos was getting dust, now back to full use !

Thank you !

Thank you guys! Glad to hear that :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Version 1.3.3.07 is available for download

This version will introduce a better switching between kneeboards as well as the improved positioning.

Changelog:

[1.3.3.07]

[NEW] VR Controller positioning of kneeboards

[NEW] Mode to change Active kneeboard switching behaviour

[CHG] Buttons for manual positioning of kneeboards

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Hi Rider.

with 2.5.6 and the latest windows build i have troubles with DCS loosing window focus when scribbling.

whenever i scribble on the tablet i loose the DCS focus and have to click back onto it again, and if i want to use the right kneeboard i am unable to because its cover by the DCS windows. is this because of the update?

Hi Rider.

with 2.5.6 and the latest windows build i have troubles with DCS loosing window focus when scribbling.

whenever i scribble on the tablet i loose the DCS focus and have to click back onto it again, and if i want to use the right kneeboard i am unable to because its cover by the DCS windows. is this because of the update?

Not really, it is because of tablet settings.

If you have a Wacom Tablet: be sure that you properly configured the Pen in Wacom Tablet Properties application. Check latest (there was an error in previous documentation) quick start guide for settings.

If you have a Huion tablet: check that custom driver is installed. Check Quick start guide A1 / Installation fort the details.

If you still have troubles let me know via PM/Discord and I'll do my best to help.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

I just found your video on YouTube. Worth mentioning as I think that you're the first one using double tablet.

This is not officially supported in the code yet, but I'm happy that you made it working anyway. Good effect!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Hello.

When I start VRK and start DCS, VRK is not displayed in VR.

I use SteamVR. It worked until 1.2, but after updating to 1.3, it became like this.

Sent you a PM, let's have a look at the logs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK