Cost of GTX 1080 Ti

Bitcoin and the other crypto currencies dropping 40% of their value over a week is neither unusual or cause for alarm. That happens all the time. I went to bed last night with Bitcoin worth $5900 and woke up with it at $7300 this morning. It went up another $700 today despite endless bad news in articles and TV. I'm laying 50/50 odds on it gaining or losing $1000 when I sleep tonight.

I don't think banks charging extra for credit card purchases of crypto has anything to do with crypto being a competitor. They are doing it cause morons who know nothing about it are hurling themselves into unmanageable debt gambling on it. If I ran a bank, I'd do the same.

System specs: i5-10600k (4.9 GHz), RX 6950XT, 32GB DDR4 3200, NVMe SSD, Reverb G2, WinWing Super Libra/Taurus, CH Pro Pedals.

There are two fundamental misconceptions in the video you posted. The first is that currency functions like a commodity.

The second misconception is that the federal budget is like a household budget. That is entirely untrue.

I think that you didn't watch it at all with your mind in it, and not the part #1 either.

--

I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

well I just dont get how a gpu connects to supposedly a fake security..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Does anyone know why there has been such a substantial increase in cost for the GTX 1080 Ti?

At the end of December the cost was around $760 u.s. and is now up to around $1,400 u.s.

Wow, a lot of discussion around this.

In a nutshell, they sell the product for what the market will bear. Everyone knows that. I wonder why people feel the need to belabor it in discussion... There's a reason why a new Ferrari costs more money than an old Ford. It's because that's what people are willing to pay, and it optimizes profit per unit sold.

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

well I just dont get how a gpu connects to supposedly a fake security..

Whether the security is "fake" or not (i.e. whether it has real value) isn't relevant, it exists and making new coins amounts to rewards for solving maths problems first.

Whilst the exact maths varies between currencies, for simplicity imagine each "coin" (of whatever currency) as a prime number, the first person to prove a number is prime "owns" that coin. The first few are easy, but as you get higher up the scale it gets progressively harder, not necessarily conceptually but in terms of number of steps per prime.

Also it's a competition, the person able to prove prime numbers fastest "wins" most coins, leading to an arms race. It starts with CPUs (stage 1), then someone adapts it to GPUs (stage 2) because they are much faster at repeated but straightforward maths than more flexible but slower CPUs. This is the stage that Etherium and other similar currencies are at, low end Bitcoin miners also sit here.

The next stage is ASIC (stage 3), which is a chip designed purely for mining a specific currency. This is where the Bitcoin big boys are and the other currencies will head to when/if market volumes allow.

Currency miners in stage 2 buy up GPUs and directly hit the supply of cards that gamers would have. Currency miners in stage 3 don't buy GPUs, but ASIC manufacture on a large scale impacts raw material prices which drives manufacture costs up.

Slightly simplified, but hope that helps :)

Per Ardua Ad Aquarium :drink:

Specs: Intel i7-9700K, GTX 2080TI, 32GB DDR4, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E, Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2

Wow, a lot of discussion around this.

In a nutshell, they sell the product for what the market will bear. Everyone knows that. I wonder why people feel the need to belabor it in discussion... There's a reason why a new Ferrari costs more money than an old Ford. It's because that's what people are willing to pay, and it optimizes profit per unit sold.

AD

But if the price of cars went up 100% across the board in 3 months, you can guarantee that we'd be talking about the underlying drivers continually.

Per Ardua Ad Aquarium :drink:

Specs: Intel i7-9700K, GTX 2080TI, 32GB DDR4, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E, Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2

TSMC sells more wavers per month to Bitmain ( iirc, biggest produce of ASIC devices, Antminer ) than to Nvidia. Meanwhile step 3 has direct influence to availability and thus down the road to shelf price. The more they buy the smaller Nvidia becomes.

Those Antminers I saw, well, not the newest anymore as it proceeds fast, had like 180 something Chips. 180+ chips in 1 miner. I dont know what the newest one looks like inside, chances are high that it has more than 1 chip. They seem to eat wavers like we do Potato Chips :(

We'll see where this leads to. I don't think it will end in the near future and if GPU makers dont adjust the situation will stagnate.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

But if the price of cars went up 100% across the board in 3 months, you can guarantee that we'd be talking about the underlying drivers continually.

You're right, but a video card is a trivial, inconsequential entertainment item. It exists for the sole purpose of amusing & distracting people. You don't need it to go to work and/or earn a living :)

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

You're right, but a video card is a trivial, inconsequential entertainment item. It exists for the sole purpose of amusing & distracting people. You don't need it to go to work and/or earn a living :)
3D processing ain't just for games. 3D modeling, video editing and even graphical work benefits from its performance.

--

I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

3D processing ain't just for games. 3D modeling, video editing and even graphical work benefits from its performance.

True, but the ones we're used to are gaming cards... Workstation cards are very expensive and have enormous amounts of video memory. Despite that, they're also usually sub-par for gaming for some reason, and are far too expensive even for the most well-to-do of gaming buffs. Even if you're made of money, a 1080 Ti is probably cheaper and performs much better than one of those hefty workstation cards with more memory than most people's entire desktop rigs :)

Kit:

afaik, the BIG difference is the driver, not the GPU itself.

We share the same basic GPU iirc, with AMD and Nvidia, the drivers are certified to work with CAD, Dassault, etc..etc.. thats what you pay for basically

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X