gtx1070 and normandy

voodooman

i found good settings for my system. GTX1070 / 3570K@4.2 / 16Gram

constant 60fps and smooth track ir panning and overall gameplay.

NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL:

SINCE DCS VERSION 2.1.1.11317.285 ALL NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL SETTINGS DEFAULT. NVIDIA DRIVER VERSION 388.13

IN GAME:

- textures = high

- terrain textures = high

- water = high

- visib range = ultra (less frequent loading from the disk?, 8gb graphics memory with 1070 can handle it fine, mine take about 6.5 gigs with these settings)

- heatblur = off

- Shadows = Medium (this is new for 2.1.1) finally i can have cockpit shadows on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- resolution = 1920x1080

- res.cockpit disp = 1024 every frame(!) (<-so that every frame in all buffers is the same)

- MSAA = 2x

- lens effect = none

- hrd = off

- deferred shading = on

- Grass 400

- trees 15000

- preload 150000

- chimney density 4

- gamma (what ever you want, no effect on permormance, i use 2.1)

- anisotropic filtering = off

- terrain object shadows = flat

- cockpit global illlumination = off

-disable aero = on

-vsync = on

-full screen = on

-scale gui = off

-mirrors = off

edit . added my resolution

edit 2. updated for june 2 patch and added mirrors settings

june 2nd patch. noticed that i was able to crank up msaa and anisotropic filtering without dropping below 60 fps too often.

shadows however if even on low instead of flat, still gets me frequent drops below 60.

edit 3. back to original settings with msaa and aniso. seems to be only way to have as little hick up's as possible. raising msaa and aniso does not affect fps that much, gpu clocks run higher and that kind of balances it....but...much more little stutters and lagging.

edit 4. added afterburner monitor graphs of 30 min sortie @burning skies. post 15: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3159471&postcount=15

im very happy how it plays now, all graphs are very flat and gameplay is smooth. ofcourse online is easier on the machine, but thats what i really care about anyway.

edit 5. Cockpit shadows can be on medium with these setting and still stay above 60 fps! actually i can set aniso to 16 and still stay above 60 but i get very slight stutter (rarely!) with it on so i left it off for now. it's coming together nicely this map, good job ed, thank you!!!!

additional note: i have my fov restricted to 96, i know it helps little with fps so with the default 140 fov you might drop below 60.

edit 6. updated settings for 2.1.1.9459.269. added MFAA enabled for nvidia control panel

edit 7. updated settings for 2.1.1.11317.385 Default Nvidia Control Panel settings driver version 388.13

Edited by voodooman
updates

I concur,my set up which utilises a GTX 1070 8GB card is also working well.not had any stutters at all,and yes Normandy is running beautifully on it.

To know that Normandy is still in Alpha too,being that there's more optimization to come is very heartening,so the outlook is great for us PC Pilots,well done Ed your doing us all proud.......thank you.

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with MFG 10cm Extension/WINWING Orion Rudder Pedals (With Damper Edition)/TrackiR5/Windows 11 Home

Thanks a lot for the information, I did it, and works perfect. Only one problem: Scale Gui. Its in options.lua, an option called ScaleGUI. I found mine in c:/users/username/savedgames/dcs/config. Needs to be false, or the resolution in the menu will be unscale.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10900KF CPU @ 3.70GHz   3.70 GHz ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING
RAM 128 M.2*2 2T total SSD*3 2.5T total
GeForce RTX 3090   Orion2 HOTAS F-16EX  Saitek Pro Rudder

What lacks is the screen résolution. This can make vary performances a lot and make this settings a little hazardous

| I9 9900K | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO] |16 GB DDR4 HyperX 3466 MHz | SSD EVO 840 1 TB | MSI 2080TI GAMING X TRIO | ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278Q 27" 2560 X 1440 | TRACK IR 5 | THERMALTAKE CORE X9 | HOTAS WARTHOG |MFG CROSSWIND|

What lacks is the screen résolution. This can make vary performances a lot and make this settings a little hazardous

oh sorry about that. it's 1920x1080 and a 60Hz monitor.

and i didnt notice anything strange with that scale ui setting..

Bookmarked for testing and comparison. I have a 970GTX, so it's nowhere near as powerful, but I will try similar settings.

What does "flat shadows" in the cockpit do? I don't think I could live without shadows in the cockpit. I use flat shadows on the ground, and medium in cockpit.

Also I run Anistropic at 16x and didn't notice any performance difference between that and OFF. Though textures look much nicer with it on.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

I've bookmarked it as well, ordered yesterday 1080Ti and will use this as basics for the setup, of course will push textures quite substantially higher. Hopefully it wont struggle with Normandy. That kind of GPU really shouldnt.

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

@onlyfordcs: shadows flat is basically no shadows in cockpit, or they are allmost unnoticeable, i would say. definately cockpit frame shadows are absent.

sometimes it's hard to say when shadows are set to flat, wheter it's shadows that darken the cockpit or hdr, or just the fact that sunlight doesnt hit the cockpit textures.

Edited by voodooman

updated settings in the first post, that give me the best performance with the latest patch

i had to funnily set deferred shading off, load game, exit, and change it back on to get the game smooth again. it's propably just me fiddling everything back and fort that got it somehow mixed up and lagging like crazy.

@hiromachi, sweet! i bet you can have cockpit shadows fully on and still be smooth as silk.

subscribing... I've tried this, and it's helped quite a bit.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I have a 1070 as well (I think I posted in another thread you were in Voodoo?) but run 1440p (maxed settings and great FPS prior to 2.1), anyway I was having horrible stuttering and I played with settings for hours last night.

I eventually tried the saved games folder rename 'solution' and I thought it worked, posted that it was a great fix..

Well, what I had done though was play one of my missions in NTTR, saw bad stuttering, made the folder change, then tried Constant Peg mission and my frames were really high again. Tried Normandy with just my plane and a few ships and all went well and so I thought it was fixed.

So then I made a little mission tonight in Normandy with some ground units and a few more ships and the stutter is worse than ever. Retried the original mission in NTTR where I first saw the stuttering and it is still there.

For me as with others on here, using the Nvidia control panel does nothing, I have to use Msaa and Anisotropic in game, and in the Constant Peg mission I can run them high with Deferred Shading and things look great and I have no stutters.

If I turn Msaa down and Anisotropic off the edges of my cockpit, especially the HUD frames look extremely jagged, which is really odd, because in many other games I can turn anisotropic and AA off and edges still looks smooth at 1440p.

I tried your settings (thanks for taking the time to test and post them) and it was if I had changed nothing unfortunately.

I'm so confused at this point I may just put 2.1 aside until they sort this out.

Edited by Ghostrider142

i7-4770K @3.50GHz; EVGA 1070 8GB Superclocked; 16GB Ram; MSI Z97 Gaming; two Samsung 500GB SSD's in RAID; TrackIR; 32" 2560x1440 Samsung

@hiromachi, sweet! i bet you can have cockpit shadows fully on and still be smooth as silk.

At 1920x1080 he should be able to, yes.

I will give these Nvidia CP settings a try and see if they help in 2560x1440 and 3840x2160.

I'm so confused at this point I may just put 2.1 aside until they sort this out.

Don't be confused. It is ED that can bring us back to 2.0.5 performance, and very unlikely that anyone can do it by merely adjusting his settings. The psychological phenomenon of confirmation bias is ever present in these discussions.

Edited by gavagai

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Great thread, I have subscribed since I am in the market for a 1080ti and a Oculus Rift(eventually, don't tell the wife).

BTW. My 980 uses just under 4 GB, if it goes over 4 GB VRam use, then I see stutters. I believe most of my performance issues are VRam related!

Regards.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky

Just to report back, I have a similar system except I run a GTX970.

With these settings I was getting almost a rock solid 60FPS all over Normandy. The only difference is I run at MSAA OFF instead of x2, and I run with cockpit illumination ON, and visibility HIGH instead of ULTRA.

It seems that shadows are the biggest culprit for low frames, or strange stutters. Still the cockpits look washed out and rather crap without the shadowing and illumination, so I turned them back up to MEDIUM and (Still FLAT on terrain). I can live with the lower frames, and hopefully some optimization is incoming.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

thank you guys for your feedback. i keep this thread alive and update the settings if needed, atleast untill we are out of alpha.

hopefully shadows get optimized so that it would not cause such a drop in performance.

also i hope that the code gets optimized so that we could drop the triple buffering. that 1 prerendered frame + triplebuffer is a great trick to calm things down if they are too erratic. but that's just what it does, calms(slows) things down, so basically it's still something that we would be better off without.

but im happy that atleast some of you have gotten some benefit of this thread. see you in the skies! S!

Hi voodooman

If you have some time, can you post just a few minutes of msi afturburner logging while flying v1.5, to compare with what you have already listed here?

Just want to see how your numbers compare with what I see on my system from the versions 'utililsing resources' as such.

example here and a few more post further down.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3154534&postcount=22

Thermaltake View 91, Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra, i9 9900K, Corsair H150i Pro, 32Gb Trident Z 3200, Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 2080ti, Corsair AX1200i, Warthog A-10 Hotas, MFG Crosswind pedals, TiR5 Pro, HP Reverb Pro

@Vlerkies

unfortunately i dont have 1.5 installed anymore, but i pretty much remember how it run.

with 1.5 i had everything in nvidia controlpanel default. i had msaa x8 and anisotropicfiltering x16, but no shadows at all. i had to keep them off to guarantee 60fps.

when i had shadows enabled the fps dropped and so did gpu clocks with it(!?) when looking at shadow infested scenery.

it was as it (the gpu) couldn't do anything to keep the frames up so it down cloked by it self to what was needed to output the fps the game engine gave it. that made the gpu usage graph to be very erratic. other graphs were pretty much as flat as these with DCSW2

i tried even forcing the clockspeeds to stay high but it did nothing in the fps drop situations. fps still dropped, only my gpu temps were higher cause of the forced clocks so i just kept the shadow off.

sorry for not being able to help more. my ssd is so full now i dont have the space for 1.5 install :(

No sweat man thanks anyway.

I just stumbled on something interesting that 1.5 was using a lot less resources. It also runs 'worse' on my system compared on 2.1

Schoolboy error I left mirrors on here for 1.5 but thats 10fps

Not a problem for me, just interested if others are seeing the same thing.

Thermaltake View 91, Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra, i9 9900K, Corsair H150i Pro, 32Gb Trident Z 3200, Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 2080ti, Corsair AX1200i, Warthog A-10 Hotas, MFG Crosswind pedals, TiR5 Pro, HP Reverb Pro

After trying all the different methods to get Normandy running well w/a 1070, I can get a solid 60 fps at 1080p. However, aliasing (shimmering) is really bad w/ Deferred Shading on. With it off I can pretty much eliminate it with 4x SGSS via Nvidia Inspector. Anyone noticing this aliasing issue? I'm sure it will all work out eventually with ED coming to the rescue at some point.

Can anyone post the recommended settings for a 1070 used with VR goggles? That would be great:thumbup:

That would be great for me as well, as i'm waiting for the OR to be delivered and i have a 1070

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽   🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png