AMD or Intel for DCS?

Instead of starting a new thread, I thought it would make sense to restart this topic now that the new Ryzen CPUs are out.

I'm planning to update to a new system and one main topic is DCS performance.

With my current system the CPU is the bottleneck. If I turn shadows on, I get 24fps.

I do not believe that this is only related to the single core performance of the CPU, as the current best CPUs are only 30% faster than my my 7 years old CPU.

What fps can I expect with shadows using a modern CPU? Which CPU would be the best?

Any experience or ideas are helpful.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X | 64GB DDR4-3200 Ram | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | MFG Crosswind rudder pedals | HP Reverb

Interesting I don't have any issues with my old i7 3770K.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

Instead of starting a new thread, I thought it would make sense to restart this topic now that the new Ryzen CPUs are out.

I'm planning to update to a new system and one main topic is DCS performance.

With my current system the CPU is the bottleneck. If I turn shadows on, I get 24fps.

I do not believe that this is only related to the single core performance of the CPU, as the current best CPUs are only 30% faster than my my 7 years old CPU.

What fps can I expect with shadows using a modern CPU? Which CPU would be the best?

Any experience or ideas are helpful.

Just get a Ryzen, more value for the money at the moment.

Interesting I don't have any issues with my old i7 3770K.

You are probably not using VR? In 2D I can get about 60 fps.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X | 64GB DDR4-3200 Ram | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | MFG Crosswind rudder pedals | HP Reverb

Just get a Ryzen, more value for the money at the moment.

I'm thinking about it. But they seem to be less easy to overclock than intel CPUs.

DCS really needs high single core performance.

Best test would be to run same level with low graphics settings on a new Ryzen and new Intel system and see what fps they can get.

Unless you play at 1080p at competition level low detail to chase FPS towards 180-240Hz, it simply wont matter.

Some of the tests if have read, most were won by the 9900k by say 5-10%...UNTIL they threw in a few more things that many gamers do, OBS, Discord, TS, Skype, etc and alikes...and BOOM, the lower core count Intel(s) fell behind their AMD counterparts for equal money.

I am 100% for Ryzen

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

You are probably not using VR? In 2D I can get about 60 fps.

Yes I fly VR. Check sig lol

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

Yes I fly VR. Check sig lol

UPS, didn‘t see that. What do you mean by : no problem. Can you use shadow and what FPS do you get?

I'm thinking about it. But they seem to be less easy to overclock than intel CPUs.

DCS really needs high single core performance.

Yeah I'm on my third Ryzen now, overclocking definitely helps multicore performance, at least on the more expensive CPU's, but my feeling especially for the less expensive CPU's is, you can make it run hotter but not faster in DCS. Probably by design, AMD has said their strategy is not to leave anything on the table single-core-wise. With that in mind, might be worth looking at the "X" versions, and look again at the price differential. To be clear, I'm happy. But that's mainly cuz I was too cheap to buy a new mobo

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder