UltraMFCD for DCS 1.5/2.0

Sgt_Baker

Baker is it possible to get an option to bypass the system you use to get the performance up when using the FLIR? And just copy the image on the ingame mfcd?

My OCD jump every time i try to use that because of the random stutters. ALso using the slew doesn't work that well because of that same stuttering. My system should be handeling it fine as it always had done. plus is had some oemph left when monitoring.

Is this BTW an issue of DCS using the old map on the new graphics engine?

Really hope there is a way to eliminate them.

This is currently a work in progress. Essentially what's happening is that Windows looks at uMFCD, which is superbly efficient processing-wise, and says "There's this computationally-expensive DCS thing running over here. You don't seem to be doing much. I'm downgrading you to a background process."

Edited by Sgt_Baker

UltraMFCD 3.0 in the works.

https://ultramfcd.com

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if you can just set the priority manually in task manager? If you right click on the process/exe in task manager, you can right click and set the priority to HIGH, maybe that'll help with the debugging?

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Thx Hansangb, i tried it but to no effect. i think priority doensn't effect it because there is enough room to run them both. my gfx is running around 80-85% total, i use about 7GB of my 16GB of ram and my processor is doing less then way less then 50%.

I do think it would help if i became short of a commodity though.

I wonder if you can just set the priority manually in task manager? If you right click on the process/exe in task manager, you can right click and set the priority to HIGH, maybe that'll help with the debugging?

Actually, if you pay careful attention, you'll notice that uMFCD automatically sets itself to "high" when a flight is started, then downgrades to "normal" once you exit flight.

Something has changed, at least in Windows 10, with the way threads are dynamically scheduled, which is presently causing me certain headaches, as you can see. :)

Thx Hansangb, i tried it but to no effect. i think priority doensn't effect it because there is enough room to run them both. my gfx is running around 80-85% total, i use about 7GB of my 16GB of ram and my processor is doing less then way less then 50%.

I do think it would help if i became short of a commodity though.

There is actually a fix for this in the works, which will simultaneously solve the issues people have been having with large/novel screen setups.

What's happening is that uMFCD is currently rendering the MFCDs very large and then scaling them down in the front-end. This is what's causing the gfx-related stuttering - simply being forced to draw the TGP at very high res. The update will allow you to choose a "fundamental" export size that most closely matches the size you intend to use uMFCD exports at, and the front-end will scale up/down as required.

That new feature should, in turn, prevent the separate yet interconnected FPS system from kicking in at all. Its intended purpose is really a last ditch effort to prevent massive degradation to the controllability of the aircraft itself.

Edit: The reason we didn't see any of this with uMFCD 1 was that DCS itself was FPS-limited by god-knows-what somewhere else in the rendering engine, so never really got close to properly stressing all but the most basic graphics cards. Now that limitation is removed, the gfx subsystem is actually something I have to compete with DCS for. The issue with large/novel screen setups was merely a mistake on my end. Fortunately the one fix solves both problems.

Edit 2: Come to think of it, there's nothing preventing me from dynamically adjusting DCS's internal rendering size of the camera-type views based on the exact size requested by the uMFCD export, so perhaps we'll see that as a further update at some point. (I like to use the size/position memory feature to quickly expand the TGP to full-screen when I'm looking hard for targets hiding is bushes. In fact, I have no idea whether I'm the only person to do that. That system was included very much as a birthday present to myself.) :)

Edited by Sgt_Baker

I have noticed that after starting DCS and using the log in arrow next to the user name box UMCD will not start. If you hit the close X just above the sign in and proceed to select from the DCS menu from there, UMFCD will try to display...I am also having a lot of previously identified black screen stuff as well.

totally agreed, and great to hear that you obviously are on a good track!

On my system, I still get an immediate crash as soon as I load a mission with ultraMFCD running, even on a fresh Win10 and DCS reinstall. Not sure what else to try in order to troubleshoot this, and I seem to be the only one getting this crash ?

You're not the only one. We'll have to go down the diagnostics package path regarding this. 2.0.0.7 will contain numerous enhancements to said system, specifically targeting a few known bugs for which there are presently no known fixes.

Edited by Sgt_Baker

I have noticed that after starting DCS and using the log in arrow next to the user name box UMCD will not start. If you hit the close X just above the sign in and proceed to select from the DCS menu from there, UMFCD will try to display...I am also having a lot of previously identified black screen stuff as well.

Interesting. This is why we have beta testers. Would never have thought of that myself. :)

Finally got it to 'work' (not). First, for days NET 4.6.1. refused to install with a 'path not found error'. After several days and reboots all of a sudden windows 'updates are installed' (my updates are manual) and NET 4.6.1. installed.

My DCS latest upgrade 1.5.2.48726.137 had problems with keybindings crashing DCS so I created a downgraded copy DCS 1.5.2.48162.126, that does not crash.

Ran UltraMFCD.Beta.2.0.0.6.public, start DCS RUN. Load A10 on runway and:

- I have 2 monitors stacked on top, L&R MFCD are maxed over top screen, covering 50% each of the top monitor

- no resize possible

- no OSB's noticeable

- but I suspects these are not UltraMFCD's exports for the MFCD's have none of the Icons (resize etc) displayed, nor icons working where should be, nor showing with a mouse hovering on top

- I suspect/seems these are MFCD's as would be screencopied through MonitorSetup <config>.lua

- but I do NOT have MFCD's configured in my custom c:\DCS\Config\MonitorSetup\2x1080pTB.lua (see my <> .lua)

aside, there's also a strange install path not found behaviour

- UltraMFCD would display error:

c:\DCS\Config\MonitorSetup\2x1080pTB.lua not found

- but my custom 2x1080pTB.lua stored in profile directory Saved Games

"i:\TEKST\Saved Games\DCS.15248162126\Config\MonitorSetup\2x1080pTB.lua"

- I copied 2x1080pTB.lua to c:\DCS\Config\MonitorSetup\2x1080pTB.lua and error disapprears

- which shouldn't be necessary, for UltraMFCD should use Saved Games DCS profile directory

??

In my custom MonitorSetup\2x1080pTB.lua

I use custom 2 separate Viewports

- that do NOT add up to the typical 1 'big screen divided into viewport pixel sizes'

- these are 2 viewports each defined as 1920x1080 stacked

- with aspect = screen.aspect (= 16:9) each

- this is for reason of POV in cockpit / (when I rotate all the way 'down' I'll can see an upside-down backview in bottom screen)

my custom

c:\DCS\Config\MonitorSetup\2x1080pTB.lua

is

_  = function(p) return p; end;
name = _('2x 1080p T-B 2x resolution');
Description = '2x 1080p T-B full';
-- (MadDog-IC Profile)
Viewports =
{
Center =
   {
       x = 0;
       y = 0;
       width = 1920;
       height = 1080;
       viewDx = 0;
       viewDy = 0;
       aspect = screen.aspect;
   },

Bottom =
   {
       x = 0;
       y = 1080;
       width = 1920;
       height = 1080;
       viewDx = 0;
       viewDy = -1;
       aspect = screen.aspect;
   }
}

GUI=
   {
       x = 0;
       y = 0;
       width = 1920    ;screen.width;
       height = 1080    ;screen.height / 2;
   }    

UIMainView = GUI
;-- UIMainView = Viewports.Center

attached screenshot with CDU on bottom monitor exported (others were off)

so, why are UltraMFCD's MFCD's not showing?

what am I missing?

thx

Screen_160112_181300.thumb.jpg.f8f596b0c3641069759956c9097671ca.jpg

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

majapahit, what happens when you select A-G mode on the TGP display?

I had 'somewhat' UM working in that that I could see the CDU panel, but all exports were all over.

But that didnt last long. Mouse movement and crash, after that no more UM panels seen.

When I push A-G now > crash/freeze

?

A10Multra.thumb.jpg.3664d332e83084c184449e39f663c81c.jpg

543720046_noultrapomWTH.thumb.jpg.ef139b4cf7aea4421b80f575e9e49fa9.jpg

defaultDCS_TB.thumb.jpg.5ca2827a404ad0b08aaf330c99f95206.jpg

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

Thanks, I was just curious as I see an effect doing that. Also noticed that bringing up the NVGs would also do strange things...

FWIW, we went through all of this with uMFCD 1. It's a natural part of charting out, on this end, the intricate nature of how DCS's rendering engine works... all without seeing a single line of its source code.

The technique that eventually resulted in 100% reliable performance in DCS 1.x.x isn't available in DCS 1.5/2.0 in the same way, so have had to start from scratch on that front. Still attempting to figure out which is the best of a number of options - and each strategy takes time to develop, debug and test, even before it gets anywhere close to a beta release such as this.

It could be, based on diagnostics info collected by the upcoming 2.0.0.7 build, that we abandon this approach and choose a different one. This concerns a very small, yet critical, aspect of the system, so these statements are not to suggest that "everything needs to be redone" in that instance. This is because "what works for most people" doesn't necessarily work for "all people", so it's very much a matter of picking up on and analysing the outlying cases, and adapting accordingly.

:)

--Baker

Edit: The "technique" changed, in terms of that available to the public, three times over the lifetime of uMFCD 1 (and many more times internally). uMFCD 2 is presently at the point where we've not yet investigated alternate techniques, in a meaningful sense at all, just for clarity.

Edited by Sgt_Baker

oky doky....Would not work initially- crash of DCS.exe on unpause. Loaded to the paused cockpit bt died thereafter..some restarts later it does not crash YEAH- no idea what changed I'm afriad...

now to the crutch of the matter.. now UMFD does not crash....I have four displays... 2 rendered MFCD stuck on my left tri monitor setup. and 2 movable windows.

cannot get the rendering to display on the movable windows..... the mnovable windows have been moved and resized to fit on the 2 USB LCD's

what other information would you like..... and that would be useful and I'll gather it all up

So... Finally gave it a go... All I get is the spinning "Waiting for DCS". Running 1.5.2, both programs as admin, Ultra started first... No mods...

I searched back through here and saw one other guy with the problem but didn't notice an answer...?

Thanks, keep up the good work,

Sage

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Carrier Strike Group One | Discord

Just tried the 2.0.0.6 build, same problem as before (post 157) i have two working MFCD's on my main panel but they can neither be resized or moved...

This build is slightly better in that if i click on the top left MFCD then then two "black" resizable/moveable panels now appear.... (only one black panel would appear in the 2.0.0.5 build.

DCS%20A-10C_zpsqszwpvzu.png

[ATTACH]132327[/ATTACH]

Thanks.

Have u solved your problem?I have the same trouble.

FWIW, we went through all of this with uMFCD 1. It's a natural part of charting out, on this end, the intricate nature of how DCS's rendering engine works... all without seeing a single line of its source code.

The technique that eventually resulted in 100% reliable performance in DCS 1.x.x isn't available in DCS 1.5/2.0 in the same way, so have had to start from scratch on that front. Still attempting to figure out which is the best of a number of options - and each strategy takes time to develop, debug and test, even before it gets anywhere close to a beta release such as this.

It could be, based on diagnostics info collected by the upcoming 2.0.0.7 build, that we abandon this approach and choose a different one. This concerns a very small, yet critical, aspect of the system, so these statements are not to suggest that "everything needs to be redone" in that instance. This is because "what works for most people" doesn't necessarily work for "all people", so it's very much a matter of picking up on and analysing the outlying cases, and adapting accordingly.

:)

--Baker

Edit: The "technique" changed, in terms of that available to the public, three times over the lifetime of uMFCD 1 (and many more times internally). uMFCD 2 is presently at the point where we've not yet investigated alternate techniques, in a meaningful sense at all, just for clarity.

I cant re-size and move the MFCD?Is it a bug?I just use 2.0.0.6.

I cant re-size and move the MFCD?Is it a bug?I just use 2.0.0.6.

If i remembered correctly, this version of uMFCD is mainly aimed at the current 'release' of DCS namely 1.5.2. In due time off course the 2 version becomes the new release and i'm sure Baker will correct anything. but to test version 2 at this time you have to have the NTTS map and i'm not sure he has that one.

a question from me though, for version 1 there was talk about a sort of moving map in the kneeboard. are there still any plans for that?

Just tried the 2.0.0.6 build, same problem as before (post 157) i have two working MFCD's on my main panel but they can neither be resized or moved...

This build is slightly better in that if i click on the top left MFCD then then two "black" resizable/moveable panels now appear.... (only one black panel would appear in the 2.0.0.5 build.

DCS%20A-10C_zpsqszwpvzu.png

[ATTACH]132327[/ATTACH]

Thanks.

Mi issue ir nearly the same. At beginning both MFD's are on the 3D view, and can't be moved, but display all data correctly.

I tried to adjust water on "HIGH" at visual settings...them both MFD's are located at the correct place, but not display anything, neither the CDU...all is black.

I tried restarting both ULTRAMFCD and DCS WORLD, restarting computer, disabling MOD's...and nothing works

Asrock Z77 Extreme6

Intel Core I7-3770K 3.5Ghz

G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866 PC3-14900 16GB 4x4GB CL9 Asus GTX 970 Strix 4GB GDDR5

AeroCool Templarius Imperator 750W 80 Plus SilverSeagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB SATA3 64MBCooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

NOX Coolbay SX Devil USB 3.0