2.5 Settings Comparisons and GPU Impact - Page 10 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-16-2018, 03:00 PM   #91
Gliptal

Reputation power: 11
Gliptal is just really niceGliptal is just really niceGliptal is just really niceGliptal is just really niceGliptal is just really niceGliptal is just really niceGliptal is just really niceGliptal is just really niceGliptal is just really niceGliptal is just really niceGliptal is just really nice

Thanks for the guide, I finally budged and went with no MSAA and FXAA instead: I hate how the menus look, but ingame you can't notice the added blurriness on the textures anyways. It'd be nice if ED added FXAA internally, as to not affect the GUI.

I managed to crank most stuff up, a lot more than I thought I could (60FPS @ 1080p running an FX8320 and a 1050Ti). The shadows analysis was especially great, since I can finally get nice and smooth shadows in the cockpit without losing frames (by setting "Terrain Object Shadows" to "Flat").

With that said, something that the pics don't show is a lot of shimmering on aliased objects going on, especially in the distance. Has anyone else noticed that?

[A-10C][APP] Tacview SLEDs Renderer
README - thread

[A-10C][APP] create your custom cartridge
webapp - thread

[A-10C][SP] Warthog Proficiency mission
download - thread
Gliptal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:43 PM   #92
DigitalEngine

Reputation power: 4
DigitalEngine has a spectacular aura aboutDigitalEngine has a spectacular aura aboutDigitalEngine has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliptal View Post
With that said, something that the pics don't show is a lot of shimmering on aliased objects going on, especially in the distance. Has anyone else noticed that?
Absolutely! And in VR, as the shimmering objects are life size, it actually induces a mild VR nausea or sickness with me, limiting the amount of time I can be in the DCS World 2.5 VR environment.
And I've found no way to get around it.

I do hope the Eagle Dynamics team will addresses this soon, because I'm anxious to get to exploring the World of DCS 2.5!
(btw, not an issue in DCS 1.5.8, so I'm assuming it's fixable)

My full report in this post
GPU = Zotac GTX980ti Amp Extreme
Hard-drive = Samsung V-NAD SSD 950 PRO M.2
Cooling = Corsair H100i V2 water cooler, plus RAM mounted fans.

Corsair Vengeance® C70 Mid-Tower Gaming Case — Military Green
OS = Windows 10 64bit
Power supply = EVGA 1200P2
HTC Vive

Last edited by DigitalEngine; 02-16-2018 at 07:55 PM. Reason: gram·mat·i·cal
DigitalEngine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:46 PM   #93
Sideslip

Reputation power: 2
Sideslip has a spectacular aura aboutSideslip has a spectacular aura aboutSideslip has a spectacular aura aboutSideslip has a spectacular aura aboutSideslip has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliptal View Post
Indeed, but that is a fact of life without using MSAA or SSAA (DSR also works but is even more costly). You won't see shimmering like that in Call of Duty 47 because there aren't as many thin lines. In DCS, you have such a long view distance that there are lots and lots of small lines being drawn with huge contrast (sunny apartment roof 5 miles away, low angle, against green background). Then the motion is very slow (because it's far away) which causes that shimmering as the color slowly alternates. There is nothing anyone, including ED, can do about that. The only way to address it is with higher resolution through MSAA (including MFAA), SSAA or DSR/Downscaling. FXAA can't fix it. The only other alternative is set view distance to low, but that's a terrible choice.

You wont notice the shimmering 90% of the time when you aren't looking for it. If you are trying to shake a SAM, the last thing you will be thinking is that it'd be nice to have MSAA turned on.
System specs: i7 3820 @4.75Ghz, Asus P9X79LE, EVGA GTX1080SC @2100mhz, 16GB Gskil DDR3 @ 2000mhz, 512GB 960EVO m.2, 2 X 512GB 860EVO SATA3 in RAID0, EVGA Supernova 850W G2, Phantek Entho Luxe White. CPU and GPU custom water-cooled with 420mm rad and lots of Noctua fans. ASUS PG348Q. Saitek X-55 and MFG Crosswind.
Sideslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 06:16 PM   #94
StrongHarm

Reputation power: 66
StrongHarm is a splendid one to beholdStrongHarm is a splendid one to beholdStrongHarm is a splendid one to beholdStrongHarm is a splendid one to beholdStrongHarm is a splendid one to beholdStrongHarm is a splendid one to beholdStrongHarm is a splendid one to beholdStrongHarm is a splendid one to beholdStrongHarm is a splendid one to beholdStrongHarm is a splendid one to beholdStrongHarm is a splendid one to behold

Here's a full analysis of 2.5 Video Settings - VR Quality/Performance Balance if you're interested.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:59 AM   #95
Haukka81

Reputation power: 13
Haukka81 is a jewel in the roughHaukka81 is a jewel in the roughHaukka81 is a jewel in the roughHaukka81 is a jewel in the roughHaukka81 is a jewel in the roughHaukka81 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nessuno0505 View Post
I use quite high settings, textures high, tree to the right and visibility ultra, but with MSAA 2x and PD 1.2 I have some frame drops under 45 fps, sometimes even 30-35 fps (I believe StrongHarm got a 1080ti), but even with those occasional drops the game does not stutter and is fully playable; nevertheless I greatly prefer solid frame rate than visual candy: with MSAA 2x and PD 1 the game is only a little more aliased but graphics still look very good and the frame rate is 45 fps rock solid. Now I'm testing PD 1.1 to see if this can be a fair compromise. What I can say is that, in my opinion, it is not woth to lower graphic settings (distance, tree visibility, textures and so on) in order to raise the antialiasing options (MSAA and PD). The only advice, keep shadows medium or low and terrain shadows flat, because shadows greatly impact performances without adding too much to visuals.

Thanks !

Will try soon as i get card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haukka81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:57 PM   #96
StrongHarm

Reputation power: 66
StrongHarm is a splendid one to beholdStrongHarm is a splendid one to beholdStrongHarm is a splendid one to beholdStrongHarm is a splendid one to beholdStrongHarm is a splendid one to beholdStrongHarm is a splendid one to beholdStrongHarm is a splendid one to beholdStrongHarm is a splendid one to beholdStrongHarm is a splendid one to beholdStrongHarm is a splendid one to beholdStrongHarm is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haukka81 View Post
I feel bit sad that dcs VR gets so little work from ED: spotting is still bit hit and miss, no BOS style filters for VR (sharpen etc) , there is lot that can be made to get things looking more clear and nice in VR (even without PD rise)

But maybe in next patch or one after that
I can think of no other dev shop that's worked as hard on porting an existing app to VR as ED. There are lots of apps out there which were developed from ground up for VR that look and perform better, but not existing apps. I believe that even Elite Dangerous was developed with VR in mind, but DCS had to be completely altered. There are a few other shops out there that have attempted it but failed. Look at Fallout 4's VR, they basically had to turn it into a different game. A year ago you had to run DCS with 2.0 PD to get clear gauges, I'm now running PD at 1.2. ED is knocking VR out of the park, and they're doing it with one of the most complex apps ever written. I say we should consider giving credit where credit is due.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:59 PM   #97
=Buckeye=

Reputation power: 12
=Buckeye= is just really nice=Buckeye= is just really nice=Buckeye= is just really nice=Buckeye= is just really nice=Buckeye= is just really nice=Buckeye= is just really nice=Buckeye= is just really nice=Buckeye= is just really nice=Buckeye= is just really nice=Buckeye= is just really nice=Buckeye= is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongHarm View Post
I can think of no other dev shop that's worked as hard on porting an existing app to VR as ED. There are lots of apps out there which were developed from ground up for VR that look and perform better, but not existing apps. I believe that even Elite Dangerous was developed with VR in mind, but DCS had to be completely altered. There are a few other shops out there that have attempted it but failed. Look at Fallout 4's VR, they basically had to turn it into a different game. A year ago you had to run DCS with 2.0 PD to get clear gauges, I'm now running PD at 1.2. ED is knocking VR out of the park, and they're doing it with one of the most complex apps ever written. I say we should consider giving credit where credit is due.
Well said, I agree 100% Kudos to ED for their efforts to date, and I look forward to their continued efforts.

VR Cockpit:
Oculus Rift CV1 | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | JetSeat SE | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | TM Warthog HOTAS + 15cm Black Extension w/ Red Spring by Sahaj | Dell 34" Curved UW 3440x1440 | ASUS ROG Strix Gaming OC 1080Ti | i7-4790K @ 4.7ghz | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB | (x2) Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB | Steelcase Leap V2 | Philips Fidelio X1

Soon™:
VKB HOTAS (waiting for TECS release)
=Buckeye= is offline   Reply With Quote