I think we should pay for the new CAUCASUS????

Psicodreamics

(I notice my story mimics quite a few others)

Wouldn't be playing DCS had they not offered the "core" for free. At the time the way single planes were priced made no sense to me, but I could try it for free so I gave it a shot. Pretty cool, so I got the A-10C. Rationalized it as "normal game" purchase since it was $60, but $0 for the core. After diving into the A-10C I realized why the pricing was set up the way it was... these were full fidelity simulations, not arcade eye candy... and well, lets just say now days ED has a lot of my $$$.

Point is many people don't know what DCS is or how it develops over time so they just stay away. A free download to get a taste has proven to pull in some of those people. They are getting paid for it, it's just by way of other modules. Modules that would have never been bought had the core not been free.

• Like 1

This. MM2 is correct.

Caucusus is the showroom floor for DCS. It is where they get prospective customers coming in, climbing in and out of cockpits, taking stuff out on test drives ect and eventually making a decision on buying a new module or not. If not, fine, at least the customer made the decision based on facts and with little risk or outlay. Many people who downloaded the free stuff will not have gone on to buy, but then again I doubt they use the free stuff very much in any case. I would guess all of us that used it a lot started paying for modules within a couple of months.

Would the OP bother visiting a car manufacturers showroom if all its dealers charged a £50 admission fee.

All that has happened here is that DCS have ripped the guts out of their old showroom and put in a shiny new tiled floor, some fancy lighting and done a little redecorating to bring it into line with the current expectations of prospective buyers.

RSI once offered me free look into Space Citizen but after downloading it for hours, and starting it to take a look, I was called away after a few minutes. When I next got the chance to look in, the offer was revoked and I was bombarded with emails to buy payware. I never went back.

As for DCS, I tried it for a few weeks at my leisure, then went on to buy quite a few paid for modules including both terrains and most likely hormuz too when it comes out.

Note, being a CLoDder at the time I was already an avid combat flight simmer and knew about DCS, but I was hugely sceptical because of the need to buy it in separate, paid for modules, not in one hit. It seemed, and is a hugely expensive way of flight simming compared to traditional sims with multiple aircraft. Without Caucus and the free SU25, I would not be here now as I would not have seen and experienced where the value lies in DCS.

Which was the most successful strategy in my case...RSI or DCS?

Does the OP wish to pay for access to this forum too?

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

A free download to get a taste has proven to pull in some of those people. They are getting paid for it, it's just by way of other modules. Modules that would have never been bought had the core not been free.

Agreed.

Moreover, some may have purchased modules in various states of in-completion, and are expecting a map to play them on when they are finally perfected!?

Going forward, it would be kind of unfair for people who only purchased airplane modules to have no map to play on at all when the modules are completed.

6700K@4.6 48Gb - 1080Ti Hybrid - Warthog - RIFT

People like me who bought Nevada and Normandy Maps just to support ED should get the new Caucauss map for free. There should be atleast some incentive for the people who are paying the developers. Even when they initiate sale(Reduced prices), they should consider giving some incentive to the people who bought products on full price.

I mean I dont even play on Nevada or Normandy but I bought only in a way to support developers. But ED does'nt care much about the clients who support them.

I think the current model works well for DCS, especially for new flyers. The bait is the beautiful landscape of the Caucusus. The hook is the free plane you also get - so you can fly with no money out your pocket. Shortly after, the soon to be core user will then then begin to wounder about the awesome modules available. And all you have to do is make one purchase and you are hooked......or maybe this was just my case. lol

Coming Soon...
The Fraternity Returns : https://thefraternitysim.com/

No

If any of you guys have extra money you want to throw EDs way ?

Buy copies of Neveda , Normandy or WW2 Assets and give them away free

to some of the dedicated server hosters, then we can all enjoy more servers

with the newer maps

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

No

If any of you guys have extra money you want to throw EDs way ?

Buy copies of Neveda , Normandy or WW2 Assets and give them away free

to some of the dedicated server hosters, then we can all enjoy more servers

with the newer maps

Hear,hear!

+1

• Like 1

Or another idea for those with soooo much money they want to get rid of it

and a massive desire to give it to Eagle Dynamics

Buy a bunch of modules and open a thread asking people to post if they want a free module and which one they want

Use a random number generator like this one -> linky

To then randomly pick winners for you

Pretty easy to set-up and do

Looking forward to seeing your thread on these very forums very soon

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

You would be limiting players by requiring everyone to pay for it. Training missions would not be available to someone new that wanted to learn unless they also bought the map. Now I enjoy the Nevada map so I bought it. But without one free map, player base diminishes.

But taking away the main map I started on and requiring payment would be an insult. Not to mention I've stopped playing campaigns mainly because the game is buggy. Every update the AI can do weird things or something breaks unexpectedly. Sometimes I don't know if it's a mission bug or an ED bug. But there are a lot of bugs..and I'm fine with that if it's free. Some do get fixed, most of them.

We don't want this to turn into electronic arts where microtransactions rule the sim.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

I think the 2 of you got into the Christmas peyote.

Yep, sure seems like it to me.

After paying $50 to $60 a pop for most of the modules, more money for Nevada, and probably more eventually for Normandy, they're already trodding along the edge of a precipice. If this gets any more expensive than it is already, my interest is going to start waning, severely.

I sure hope you don't have a urinalysis coming up at work anytime soon.

2.5 is the new DCS, which is a free to play with paid additional modules, the Caucuses map is base map everyone will start off with and is an upgrade to a free map. So in this regard having it for free is probably the right thing to do, otherwise DCS is no longer a free to play and you are forced to spend money so you can get a map.

Personally ED should have a donate option or have paid expansions of the map.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

I suspect ED knows how to manage their finances. My Amazon Echo system gets regular updates and they don't seem to feel the need to charge extra for it, either.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

2.5 is the new DCS, which is a free to play with paid additional modules, the Caucuses map is base map everyone will start off with and is an upgrade to a free map. So in this regard having it for free is probably the right thing to do, otherwise DCS is no longer a free to play and you are forced to spend money so you can get a map.

The Caucuses map should definitely be free, but I will admit that if they offered extensions to complete the rest of Russia in its entirety, I'd buy them, especially if they integrated seamlessly and I didn't have to load a new mission to get to the next section. I want to fly non-stop from Cape Dezhnev to Lavry. Get the tankers airborne.

:pilotfly:

No, we shouldn't.

Eagle Dynamics hasn't done new Caucasus mainly because they love community (I guess they do) but because it makes their main commercial branch much more popular (read: up to visual standards of rest content).

It was just less work to re-model whole Caucasus than create map so large from scratch. Of course remodelled Caucasus is not so detailed like Hormuz but it was good decision for them in terms of good product rating on the market.

So, no. There should not be payable. If someone wants to donate then why not...

I would pay for the rest of the region (example Crimea) in the same standards of upgraded Caucasus. I would pay for Poland, Belarus, Ukraine and part of Russia there.

It was said years ago that map tools would be released. Up today there haven't been.

Edited by Boberro

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

I have Nevada but i wont like it, sorry. I find it too booring, not intrested fighting over las vegas.

So i never will Pay for caucasus again.

With this amount of bugs and broken AI , its just enough money spend for now.

Lets hope that 2.5 and new caucasus map will also come with least some Ai fixes :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This sim is one of the most expensive already and I payed for both Lock ON and FC3. I wouldn't even give a penny for it now.

Other games get lots of free maps in updates, we get the same one that was since forever. Not thrilled.

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

This sim is one of the most expensive already and I payed for both Lock ON and FC3. I wouldn't even give a penny for it now.

Other games get lots of free maps in updates, we get the same one that was since forever. Not thrilled.

Truth be told, it's really not one of the most expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Truth be told, it's really not one of the most expensive.

Solty probably haven't seen the price tags on GA sims if he thinks DCS is expensive, lol. :megalol:

My controls & seat

Main controls: , BRD-N v4 Flightstick (Kreml C5 controller), TM Warthog Throttle (Kreml F3 controller), BRD-F2 Restyling Bf-109 Pedals w. damper, TrackIR5, Gametrix KW-908 (integrated into RAV4 seat)

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

BRD-M2 Mi-8 Pedals (Ruddermaster controller)

BRD-N v3 Flightstick w. exch. grip upgrade (Kreml C5 controller)

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle

Pilot seat

• 3 years later...

I would love to pay for an expansion up to Ukrainian/Russian airspace. Especially in light of the most recent situations that have occurred. This would open the door for more campaigns and money for campaign builders as well while using assets already available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

The biggest flaw with the Caucasus map, the lack of any Turkish airfields. Or even Iranian come to that. It leaves you either having to model a carrier in the Black sea, which will never happen, or Georgia vs Russia conflict. Whereas personally, Id love the ability to do a decent cold war scenario based on the map.

For its flaws, its a great map. I just wish they would reconsider not doing any work on it. It would open up so many possiblities with just a few changes. Heck, just one Turkish airfield would be enough. Id even settle for a road stirp.

• Like 5