Change default cockpit zoom?

GunSlingerAUS

I'm wondering if there's a way to change default cockpit zoom level, as I always bring it back a few notches to get the best view. My Virpil throttle has a detent on the zoom slider in the middle though - I want that to correspond to my preferred zoom level, not the default. I've attached screenshots of the default, and what I'd prefer to it to be.

Any ideas?

32761967_defaultzoom.thumb.jpg.b7292b311233ace2b7fb3b91fa6202e6.jpg

1957403488_preferredzoom.thumb.jpg.c846fd4f5eac7e4525f618c9bf3254e6.jpg

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

I'm wondering if there's a way to change default cockpit zoom level, as I always bring it back a few notches to get the best view. My Virpil throttle has a detent on the zoom slider in the middle though - I want that to correspond to my preferred zoom level, not the default. I've attached screenshots of the default, and what I'd prefer to it to be.

Any ideas?

When you say 'default', do you mean the default when you spawn in the cockpit. So you don't have to adjust it every time?

For the zoom detent on your virpil.. Have you tried adjusting its axis with a custom user curve.

Sent from my Moto Z Play using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

When you say 'default', do you mean the default when you spawn in the cockpit. So you don't have to adjust it every time?

For the zoom detent on your virpil.. Have you tried adjusting its axis with a custom user curve.

Sent from my Moto Z Play using Tapatalk

That is exactly what I mean - yep, tried that, no worky. There's gotta be a LUA value somewhere which determines this.

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

Following some old tutorial I did it for my MiG-21 by enabling snapviews in the game, creating a copy of SnapViewsDefault.lua, editing "viewAngle" parameter in "default view" section for the MiG, renaming the edited file to SnapViews.lua and placing it in Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\View\ folder.

Never tried it with other planes, but I guess it should work for F-14 as well?

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Thanks guys, I'll give these suggestions a shot. Habu, where can I find my snapviews.lua, and I'm guessing the number 13 in your post is what I should change?

Thanks guys, I'll give these suggestions a shot. Habu, where can I find my snapviews.lua, and I'm guessing the number 13 in your post is what I should change?

Enable Snapview saving in Options. Save snapviews by pressing RAlt + Num0 while in cockpit. Now find Snapviews.lua in Saved Games\DCS World\Config\View.

R Ctrl + R Shift and NumPad / and * will zoom your "seat" as I call it, in and out to either of the views in your screens and then you can save it like Habu mentioned, with SnapView Saving on and R Alt and NumPad 0.

That will now be your default view when you get in that cockpit.

"These are NOT 1 to 1 replicas of the real aircraft, there are countless compromises made on each of them" - Senior ED Member

Modules - Damn near all of them (no Christian Eagle or Yak)

System - i7-12700K, 64Gig DDR4 3200 RAM, RTX-3080, 3 32" monitors at 5760 x 1080, default settings of High (minor tweaks)

R Ctrl + R Shift and NumPad / and * will zoom your "seat" as I call it, in and out to either of the views in your screens and then you can save it like Habu mentioned, with SnapView Saving on and R Alt and NumPad 0.

True enough. That saved view, tho, becomes the "Initial" Num5 view, which is different from the "Default" view, which, AFAIK, must be tweaked by editing Snapviews, as I described earlier. Most counter-intuitive.

True enough. That saved view, tho, becomes the "Initial" Num5 view, which is different from the "Default" view, which, AFAIK, must be tweaked by editing Snapviews, as I described earlier. Most counter-intuitive.

Wasn't the OP wanting to change his "Default" view to another position? To what he showed in the other screenshots?

I've moved mine this way forever, at least as long as ED's had the function. It loads as the default view each and every time for me and never had to tweak my Snapviews file at all.

"These are NOT 1 to 1 replicas of the real aircraft, there are countless compromises made on each of them" - Senior ED Member

Modules - Damn near all of them (no Christian Eagle or Yak)

System - i7-12700K, 64Gig DDR4 3200 RAM, RTX-3080, 3 32" monitors at 5760 x 1080, default settings of High (minor tweaks)

If you check the Snapviews.lua F18 parameters for the Num5 view and the Default view, you will find they are different. A bit confusing because Num5 does act as the normal "default" view; however, there are functions that snap to the official Default view as defined in the Snapviews.lua.

Try editing

CameraViewAngleLimits  = { 30.0, 140.0 }, --Min FOV, Max FOV

in DCS/Mods/aircraft/F14/Entry/Views.lua

cppimmo - Developer for Crosstail Studios  :lol::pilotfly::thumbup:

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @3.6GHz, 12GB 3200MHz, MSI GAMING X GTX1060 6GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB SSD, 124GB SDD, T1600m FCS, TrackIR 5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Found the F-14B values in my snapviews.lua file, edited the FOV line, increased it in increments of 50, no dice.

I forgot to mention I'm a TrackIR user - so I don't think snapviews work with head tracking on?

You sir, are a god... this worked perfectly. Almost. Unfortunately, I found an issue that kinda screws it up - the F-14B HUD does not zoom at the same time as the rest of the cockpit. So it looks really freaking weird, with the HUD at the normal zoomed in view, with the rest of the pit zoomed out.

Sigh.

The other approach to cockpit zoom is to set it as dynamic with Track IR axis. When you press a button, the value is read from Track IR axis and you get your fov right away, from your head distance to a screen. So, when keep pressing this button you can zoom in and out (changing your fov) smoothly. Once you release button value is preserved and you can keep zooming in or out using manual zoom buttons.

The other approach to cockpit zoom is to set it as dynamic with Track IR axis. When you press a button, the value is read from Track IR axis and you get your fov right away, from your head distance to a screen. So, when keep pressing this button you can zoom in and out (changing your fov) smoothly. Once you release button value is preserved and you can keep zooming in or out using manual zoom buttons.

I'm not sure how to do this?

• 2 months later...

Are you sure setting a Curve on your Zoom View Slider did not help?  - I came across this a while back on a YouTube Video and Reddit post

For each Plane I own, I was able to closely match up my Center Default Zoom Slider with the Default Cockpit View.  -Maybe this post below can better explain it.  

• Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]