Pc upgrades for VR

Hi all, hope you're doing well! Like many I'm considering upgrading my gpu and cpu once the new product lines come out, and I'm looking for advice. I currently (attempt) to run DCS VR (Rift S) with a 1660 Super, 2700x @ 4.2, 16 Gbs ddr4 3200, and I've got DCS on an nvme drive. Considering that I'm barely maintaining 37- maybe 40 fps with less than dcs vr settings I'm guessing it's either upgrade or wait probably a year plus for maybe some optimization. The way it seems to me right now is I should be going for minimum 2070 super / R7 3800xt. Already planning to double my ram count. If anyone has any suggestions/corrections/money savers to add to my plan I'd love to hear them, thanks for your time

GPU first . Get the best you can afford . Consider 30xx , depending on VRAM , which will likely need to be greater than 8gb in future for VR and/or Vulkan . VRAM will also help if you later decide to upgrade your headset .

Memory whenever convenient , perhaps while waiting for Ampere/Rdna2 to shake out , or later if you want to save every last dime for a GPU first .

Then cpu .

Welcome to the forum !

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

If you can wait till start of 2021, when the DCS Core must be upgraded, it will be perfect time to know the best rig config.

The problem with that is that each month you will advance in 2021 brings you near to a refundation of the Pc plattform (DDR5 / PCI 5.0 / USB 4 / new CPUs and GPUs at 5 nm)......

You need to study your movement with care if you are not in a hurry.

Surely not many people were aware of the MS2020 dependency on high end PCs (given the fact that they planed to bring the title to the standard Xbox).

ED are not in a hurry right now but surely they were preparing their upgrades to fight with their arms. (Lots of arms indeed;-)

Seeing how MS2020 strugle on flat screen, it´s normal seeing them delay the VR upgrade. They won´t be able to achieve decent performance on VR for sure. I think it will be worst than on DCS right now.

Edited by Leaderface

Hi all, hope you're doing well! Like many I'm considering upgrading my gpu and cpu once the new product lines come out, and I'm looking for advice. I currently (attempt) to run DCS VR (Rift S) with a 1660 Super, 2700x @ 4.2, 16 Gbs ddr4 3200, and I've got DCS on an nvme drive. Considering that I'm barely maintaining 37- maybe 40 fps with less than dcs vr settings I'm guessing it's either upgrade or wait probably a year plus for maybe some optimization. The way it seems to me right now is I should be going for minimum 2070 super / R7 3800xt. Already planning to double my ram count. If anyone has any suggestions/corrections/money savers to add to my plan I'd love to hear them, thanks for your time

What you really need to do is to BOUND your GPU and CPU to avoid bottleneck.

https://pc-builds.com/calculator/Ryzen_3_3200G/Radeon_RX_5700/0Up14f28/32/100/

Use this tool to figure out which suits the other the best.

Oh, I nearly forgot. DCS is naturally memory hungry, so 32GB is a minimum, you also can help by allocating large page files space (Virtual memory), I have an entire section of one of my drives reserved for system needs, 3.45 GB in total, this means that when the GPU and system RAM are at full load, Windows still can use this space to function normally, I also intend to bring the RAM total to 64GB.

For the GPU, avoid anything with less than 8GB, more than 8 is better.

Edited by Thinder

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

• 2 weeks later...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Crosshair VIII hero wifi, 3800x w/ Enermax 360 AIO cooler (push-pull), 32gigs DDR4 Ripjaws 3600, Win 10 home on a Plextor PCI-E x4 3gb/s HD, EVGA 2070 Super FTW3 ultra+, Soundblaster Z

Rift S, M$FFB2, CH Pro throttle, Saitek pedals

BS2, A10C, P51D, SPITFIRE, FC3, Uh-1H, F86, Mi-8MTV2, SA342, MIG21-bis, AV8BNA, F14, F16, FA-18C, SUPERCARRIER