Mod that allowed aircraft to start from anywhere

Pikey

I was just suggesting that adding the grass field would enable the use of the warehouse since it isn't working with the mod.

Adding hangers from the VP Airfield Equipment mod would make it look more like an airfield

ah, ok

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

• 6 months later...

Any solution now to start F-15 or Su-27, ecc from ground without DCS crash?

[sIGPIC]https://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic128931_4.gif[/sIGPIC]

SO:Win10 64bit CPU:Intel i7 8700K@3.7 RAM:DDR4 46GB G.Skill Trident 3200MHz CL14 GPU:Nvidia EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW iCX MB:ASRock Z370 Extreme4 HDD:

512GB Samsung 970 PRO SSD M.2 NVMe + 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD + 2x500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM

• 6 months later...

I thought I'd update this thread, to spare anyone possible greif trying to use the info contained here.

1. DO NOT use AG-51_Razor's download. It does not fit the DCS-Installation anymore. Add the lines manually that Pikey provided. They work.

2. This really only works for 'Client'/Player-Controlled a/c.

AI controlled a/c will not act rationally. As someone pointed out, setting a/c on the map like this actually considers them to be 'in-flight' albeit on the ground. You cannot set fixed wing a/c to 0 speed. They will start the mission in motion and attempt to take off. I could find no way to stop them, so that you can plot them to takeoff normally. The only Waypoint Actions available, for fixed wing a/c are, Turning Point, Flyover Point, and Landing. Even if you give them Landing as their next Waypoint action. They will first takeoff, and then land.

You can set their direction, but if there is anything in the way, they will simply plow into it, and I imagine, if the a/c is too heavy, it might simply get stuck in the ground.

If you set an Airplane Group like this, you cannot set the location of the individual a/c, only the Group Leader. You can set their Formation in Advanced Waypoint Actions, but if there are any buildings or static object where they spawn, they will immediately collide with them, with all consequences.

I did my testing with P-51's. Helicopters might work better, if you're careful with their placement. The P-51's always started with engines running and them being at 78 kts already.

Worked fine for me?

plane_one_point = {

actions.turningPoint,

actions.flyOverPoint,

actions.takeoffRunway,

actions.takeoffParking,

actions.takeoffParkingHot,

actions.landing,

actions.takeoffGround, --added as a mod

actions.takeoffGroundHot, --added as a mod

},

plane_first_point = {

actions.turningPoint,

actions.flyOverPoint,

actions.takeoffRunway,

actions.takeoffParking,

actions.takeoffGround, --added as a mod

actions.takeoffGroundHot, --added as a mod

Try This. It is a JSGME file and it is only necessary for the mission builder to have it. You will see a choice show up in the drop down menu that you normally use to place an aircraft on the ramp or runway at the start of the mission. Anyone joining a multiplayer mission will spawn in the a/c without having this mod on their game. I know that I found this mod in here a long time ago but I can't locate it using the search function.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Hi SUNTSAG, thanks for your reply.

Your file is already out-of-date. Compare with the current original. I'd suggest using WinMerge. It's a free, excellent, and easy to use app for comparing text files and showing differences.

Anyway, it changes nothing of the way "takeoffGround" works in-mission. All that I wrote about is still valid. It cannot really be used with AI a/c.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Yes, ofc. As I said, it will work for 'Client' a/c, but not AI.

Your script will work for placing the client a/c on the map, I'm sure, but there were some things changed by ED in that script, which are not even near yours added lines. What affect they actually have, I have no idea, but changing such scripts is always bound with the danger that your script becomes out-of-date without announcement -- not the lines, which you added, but in the rest of the script.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

• 10 months later...
Didn't keep the link but did cut and paste the info into a document of tips and techniques. So hopefully this is what you are after.

<snip>

If you’d like to place planes on the ground, there’s now a way to do it with a slight ME modification. Take note controlled AI planes explode upon spawning. Set them to uncontrolled in order to avoid it.

To spawn planes on the ground, the following has to be added to the plane_one_point and plane_first_point tables in the MissionEditor\modules\me_route.lua file:

Code:

actions.takeoffGround, actions.takeoffGroundHot

Should look like this:

Code:

plane_one_point = { actions.turningPoint, actions.flyOverPoint, actions.takeoffRunway, actions.takeoffParking, actions.takeoffParkingHot, actions.landing, actions.takeoffGround, actions.takeoffGroundHot, }, plane_first_point = { actions.turningPoint, actions.flyOverPoint, actions.takeoffRunway, actions.takeoffParking, actions.takeoffParkingHot, actions.takeoffGround, actions.takeoffGroundHot, },

DCS will say it’s an air start but they start on the ground. This way AC can be placed everywhere, as long as it’s flat ground. As all the props are able to take off and land on the grass just fine, this could be a great addition to some WWII environments

<endsnip>

Hello. I know I'm 3 years late but I'm looking into this and I can't figure out how to add this to the "modules" file in the mission editor folder. I opened the "modules" file under the mission editor in notepad and used ctrl+F to find the actions commands but couldn't find anything. Am I doing something wrong?

I can't figure out what you are actually doing. There is no 'modules' file. There is a 'modules' folder, but no file, and you cannot open a folder in 'notepad.exe'. So I have no idea what you are doing.

I can however try to explain what you should be doing.

- Using your file manager of choice -- probably Windows Explorer -- navigate to the 'c:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS{ World OpenBeta}\MissionEditor\modules' folder and find the 'me_route.lua' file. Right click on 'me_route.lua', select 'Open with', and select the text editor of your choice.

- Use <Ctrl><F>, or whatever your editor uses to search for text strings, to search for 'plane_one_point' (without the apostrophes). You should find this:

plane_first_point = {
	actions.turningPoint,
	actions.flyOverPoint,
	actions.takeoffRunway, 
	actions.takeoffParking, 
   },

- Add the following two lines BEFORE the line with '},'

actions.takeoffGround, --added as a mod by [your name], as per SUNTSAG

actions.takeoffGroundHot, --added as a mod by [your name], as per SUNTSAG

- Directly after this function is the 'plane_first_point' function.

plane_first_point = {
	actions.turningPoint,
	actions.flyOverPoint,
	actions.takeoffRunway, 
	actions.takeoffParking, 
   },

- Add the exact same two lines BEFORE the line with '},' here as well.

- You should now have this

plane_one_point = {
	actions.turningPoint, 
	actions.flyOverPoint,
	actions.takeoffRunway, 
	actions.takeoffParking,
	actions.landing, 
        actions.takeoffGround,  	--added as a mod by [your name], as per SUNTSAG
               actions.takeoffGroundHot, 	--added as a mod by [your name], as per SUNTSAG
   },
   plane_first_point = {
	actions.turningPoint,
	actions.flyOverPoint,
	actions.takeoffRunway, 
	actions.takeoffParking, 
   },

of course with the lua coding before and after this modding unchanged.

I would highly recommend using a mod manager such as OvGME to implement this. Please refer to that thread on how to use OvGME.

Since this is a change to a file, which occasionally is changed by ED, after each update, you should check if this file has been changed. It might be enough to check the date of the 'me_route.lua' file, but to be absolutely certain I would suggest using WinMerge, which is a free app, which I have been using literally for many years, and which I can highly recommend.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask away.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

I can't figure out what you are actually doing. There is no 'modules' file. There is a 'modules' folder, but no file, and you cannot open a folder in 'notepad.exe'. So I have no idea what you are doing.

I can however try to explain what you should be doing.

- Using your file manager of choice -- probably Windows Explorer -- navigate to the 'c:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS{ World OpenBeta}\MissionEditor\modules' folder and find the 'me_route.lua' file. Right click on 'me_route.lua', select 'Open with', and select the text editor of your choice.

- Use <Ctrl><F>, or whatever your editor uses to search for text strings, to search for 'plane_one_point' (without the apostrophes). You should find this:

plane_first_point = {
	actions.turningPoint,
	actions.flyOverPoint,
	actions.takeoffRunway, 
	actions.takeoffParking, 
   },

- Add the following two lines BEFORE the line with '},'

actions.takeoffGround, --added as a mod by [your name], as per SUNTSAG

actions.takeoffGroundHot, --added as a mod by [your name], as per SUNTSAG

- Directly after this function is the 'plane_first_point' function.

plane_first_point = {
	actions.turningPoint,
	actions.flyOverPoint,
	actions.takeoffRunway, 
	actions.takeoffParking, 
   },

- Add the exact same two lines BEFORE the line with '},' here as well.

- You should now have this

plane_one_point = {
	actions.turningPoint, 
	actions.flyOverPoint,
	actions.takeoffRunway, 
	actions.takeoffParking,
	actions.landing, 
   },
   plane_first_point = {
	actions.turningPoint,
	actions.flyOverPoint,
	actions.takeoffRunway, 
	actions.takeoffParking, 
   },

of course with the lua coding before and after this modding unchanged.

I would highly recommend using a mod manager such as OvGME to implement this. Please refer to that thread on how to use OvGME.

Since this is a change to a file, which occasionally is changed by ED, after each update, you should check if this file has been changed. It might be enough to check the date of the 'me_route.lua' file, but to be absolutely certain I would suggest using WinMerge, which is a free app, which I have been using literally for many years, and which I can highly recommend.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask away.

Hi, thank you so much for your response

I was able to find me_route.lua file under the modules folder this time around, but when I open it up and try to edit text, I'm unable to save any changes I've made.

Here is the error message I get: denied.PNG.9f7ac816220035c22668a126ba63105e.PNG

And here is the additional text I've written in the .lua file. luaplane.PNG.c696309b8e257efd1c1d5b8850c0d789.PNG No matter which change I make I'm not able to save.

I tried to read up on OvGME to see if that could help me out, but every single link to the download is broken.

-Andre

Yes, that is something I wasn't thinking of. Basically you are not allowed to update anything inside the '\Program Files' or '\Program Files (x86)' without administrative rights. It has nothing to do with what changes you made to the file. There is no entity checking if your changes meet some criteria or other.

Copy 'me_route.lua' to a location where you have update rights, for example '..\Documents' or '..\My Documents' or anywhere below those. Then edit the file and copy it the edited file back. While copying the edited file back, Windows will ask if you want to use administrative rights to copy the file and overwrite the original (not exactly in those words, but you will see). Most editors will not handle that dialog and there for you cannot edit the file in-place.

About OvGME, the creator has abandoned the development and closed out his github account. That he didn't want to do anymore work on it I had read way back when, but why he would close out his github account and delete everything is a mystery to me.

Anyway someone volunteered to host the project and you can find the last version here: OvGME.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

Okay folks. This is exactly what I was just talking about. The lua file 'me_route.lua' was changed in today's update to '2.5.5.35461':

Line 25: deleted

Line 41: added

Lines 145-146 and 152-153: our mods

Line 1144: changed

Lines 1145-1146: added

Line 2568: added

If you use this mod, copy the new updated file to where you store your mods and update it as per my previous posts and implement it again per OvGME or whatever method you prefer.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

Yes, that is something I wasn't thinking of. Basically you are not allowed to update anything inside the '\Program Files' or '\Program Files (x86)' without administrative rights. It has nothing to do with what changes you made to the file. There is no entity checking if your changes meet some criteria or other.

Copy 'me_route.lua' to a location where you have update rights, for example '..\Documents' or '..\My Documents' or anywhere below those. Then edit the file and copy it the edited file back. While copying the edited file back, Windows will ask if you want to use administrative rights to copy the file and overwrite the original (not exactly in those words, but you will see). Most editors will not handle that dialog and there for you cannot edit the file in-place.

About OvGME, the creator has abandoned the development and closed out his github account. That he didn't want to do anymore work on it I had read way back when, but why he would close out his github account and delete everything is a mystery to me.

Anyway someone volunteered to host the project and you can find the last version here: OvGME.

I finally had enough time to try this and let me say it worked like an absolute charm. My bush-flying mission is gonna be sick now. Thanks a million!

-Andre

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Good Day folks!

I have discovered the reason FC3 aircraft explode upon spawn when using this mod!

I bet you want to know...Don't you.....LOL

Well, The fix may not be easy.

It boils down to the collision file and/or the spawn position code used.

The FC3 aircraft spawn under ground, hence they explode.

The code and/or edm must be fixed/adjusted for this mod to work.

How to do this ?

I'm glad you asked!:D

We can not change the position of the collision, or aircraft model in 3D space without the Max file.

So either substitute a different collision edm till one works, OR, Find the code that has the spawn position and correct it.

Easy.........NOT!:megalol:

If anyone knows where FC3 aircraft lua's are which contain this code, a fix could be attempted!

Good Luck!

And mat the Force Be with You!

YMMV

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

• 1 month later...

Update 2.5.6.43503!!

With Update 2.5.6.43503 the me_route.lua file experience many changes.

You MUST update your moded lua file with these changes, otherwise DCS will NOT start.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

Good Day folks!

I have discovered the reason FC3 aircraft explode upon spawn when using this mod!

I bet you want to know...Don't you.....LOL

Well, The fix may not be easy.

It boils down to the collision file and/or the spawn position code used.

The FC3 aircraft spawn under ground, hence they explode.

The code and/or edm must be fixed/adjusted for this mod to work.

How to do this ?

I'm glad you asked!:D

We can not change the position of the collision, or aircraft model in 3D space without the Max file.

So either substitute a different collision edm till one works, OR, Find the code that has the spawn position and correct it.

Easy.........NOT!:megalol:

If anyone knows where FC3 aircraft lua's are which contain this code, a fix could be attempted!

Good Luck!

And mat the Force Be with You!

YMMV

We had the same symptom in MOOSE code, and I thought this was an altitude issue but it's not. SpawnAtAirbase() was broken by the airbase ID changes that happened in 2.5.6. FunkyFranky fixed the airbase ID's and spawning now no longer results in a big explosion.

Whilst it's almost unexplainable why it should have this effect, the single change absolutley fixes the issue of exploding planes spawned and is nothing to do with the thread title or even cosntrained to FC3 planes.

If you post your code I can help you with it though.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone been able to fix this file for starting aircraft from ground? Not FC3, but regular aircraft. I've tried comparing the new to old files and adding back in what was changed as appropriate to no avail...dcs crash when loading mission in ME.

Roger thanks. FML. :)

Edit: Since you make so many mods, fyi, it looks like the civ omni lights from "civilian" mod pack, and hospital from "229 objects" both crash...likely because of changes to lighting effects. I made a bad assumption before on the troubleshooting path...

Edited by johnv2pt0

Hi,

It works just fine for me following today's update (see below image).

Good morning, Suntsag.

It's again me and my questions, I'm afraid.

It's not for me, infortunately.

But I still remember what Hawkeye warned about: "The code and/or edm must be fixed/adjusted for this mod to work."

So, after the most recent update, what lines should I fix in those two .lua files now, assumed that the original mod makes DCS crashing obviously?

Thanks in advance, with best regards.