DCSFlightpanels (DCSFP) thread. Saitek Pro Flight Panels & DCS

ArturDCS

For installation => go here

This application enables you to use the following Stream Deck, Saitek / Logitech Pro Flight Panels with Digital Combat Simulator :

• Switch Panel (PZ55) (DCS-BIOS & KeyEmulator**)
  • Multi Panel (PZ70) (DCS-BIOS & KeyEmulator**)
  • TPM (key emulator / DCS-BIOS)
  • Radio Panel (PZ69) (DCS-BIOS & KeyEmulator** & KeyEmulator_SRS*** )
  • Back Lit Information Panel (BIP)
  • Farming Simulator Side Panel
  • Stream Deck [Mini, Original, XL]

DCSFlightpanels supports Simple Radio Standalone (PZ69 Radio Panel).

!!

!!

!!

Using DCSFlightpanels as a key emulator it can be used in almost any game like :

• Elite Dangerous
  • War Thunder
  • Flaming Cliff Series
  • IL-2

You can use several panels of the same type and have different mappings on each except Radio Panel which is fully programmed by DCSFlighpanels

** LCD data from the game can not be shown in key emulator mode.

***Simple Radio Standalone can be controlled with PZ69 Radio Panel when using mode KeyEmulator_SRS.

Download DCSFP

Download DCS-BIOS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Installation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Unzip the files into the folder where you want to keep the program.
  • You start the application by executing DCSFlightpanels.exe
  • Problems? Try running DCSFlightpanels as "Administrator".
  • You do not need any additional drivers

Short

video, dito

video.

Updating the application

Unzip new version over the old.

If for some reason the profile files are changed, i.e. the structure in which the data is stored, delete or rename the old ones and create new profile files. I won't make it backward compatible etc, it takes only a few min to make a profile. New profile format will not happen often if at all anymore. (Just in case it happens)

Links

Farming Simulator Side Panel Template

Saitek Switch Panel Template for DCSFlightpanels

Custom Saitek B.I.P. Tiles for DCSFlightpanels

Important notes

When opening the external text editor by clicking the button for the first time you get the the dialog "Windows can't open this file" dialog. That is because Windows is not familiar with the file type "*.bindings". What you do is click "Select a program from a list of installed programs" and click "OK".

From the next dialog choose "Notepad" and click "OK". This way Windows knows what to use next time you want to open a profile file.

IMPORTANT REGARDING DCS-BIOS!

DCSFlightpanels communicates with DCS using DCS-BIOS, the brainchild of [FSF]Ian. [FSF]Ian has been very helpful in answering questions and helping out during the development process. His contribution to DCS will change the user experience from now on for a lot of us. If you get the chance then say "thanks" and give him some positive rep!

Installing DCS-BIOS

The zip file contains the DCS-BIOS folder and the export.lua.

Place these in this folder

drive:\Users\<username>\Saved Games\DCS\Scripts

If the scripts folder does not exist, just create it.

Learn to use the DCS-BIOS Control Reference Page (CTRL-REF Page)!

With this you will be able to see the actual output of DCS-BIOS for your airframe. You can easily browse the controls, examine the behavior and from there get new takes on how to configure DCSFlightpanels.

1. Install Google Chrome
  2. Chrome -> "Settings" -> "More Tools" -> "Extensions", check "Developer mode"
  3. Click "Load unpacked extension..." and choose your "C:\Users\<username>\Saved Games\DCS\Scripts\DCS-BIOS\doc" folder
  4. A new extension "DCS-BIOS Control Reference Live Preview"
    will be visible under "Apps".
  5. Exit "Settings"
  6. Click "Apps". Your DCS-BIOS extension be there. From there you can see the controls change as you fly and manipulate the cockpit. Remember to refresh the page if you restart a mission so that Chrome gets a new connection to DCS-BIOS.

Edited by ArturDCS
Adding info
  • Like 1

DCS-BIOS is a tool that exports data from DCS simulation engine.

DCSFP is a program with which you can configure Logitech's Pro Flight Panels and Stream Deck.

CTRL-Ref (DCS-BIOS Control Reference Page) It is a Chrome Extension - can only be used from Chrome. It is with this tool you verify that DCS-BIOS works properly. Use it!

Installation of DCS-BIOS

Download

Download DCS-BIOS

Select a release.

Click on Assets to expand a list of downloadable files.

Download the zip file DCS-BIOS{_x.x.xx}.zip.

Unzip DCS-BIOS into a temporary location.

Open DCS Script folder [drive:\Users\<username>\Saved Games\DCS\Scripts]. Create it if it doesn't exist.

Copy the folder DCS-BIOS and the file Export.lua to the DCS scripts folder.

Install DCS-BIOS Control Reference Page (CTRL-Ref)

Install Google Chrome.

Activate Developer Mode : Chrome -> "Settings" -> "More Tools" -> "Extensions", and move the "Developer mode" slider in the top right corner.

In the same page, click "Load unpacked extension..." and choose your "drive:\Users\<username>\Saved Games\DCS\Scripts\DCS-BIOS\doc" folder.

A new extension "DCS-BIOS Control Reference Live Preview" will be visible under "Apps".

Make sure DCS-BIOS work properly using DCS-BIOS Control Reference Page.

Start a mission in DCS.

Open CTRL-Ref from Apps in Chrome.

Choose the correct module in the top drop down box.

Choose a familiar control from the drop down that says "Show All".

Change the control in the cockpit and verify you see the change in CTRL-Ref. Change the control from CTRL-Ref and verify you see the change in the cockpit.

Installation of DCSFP

Download

Go to downloads page and select a release.

Click on Assets to expand a list of downloadable files.

Download the zip file DCSFlightpanels_x64_x.x.xx}.zip.

Unzip DCSFlightpanels into the folder of your choice

Start DCSFlightpanels by clicking DCSFlightpanels.exe (in older releases) or dcsfp.exe

Configure DCSFP

DCS-BIOS, if you are using DCS-BIOS then make sure the setting DCS-BIOS json location points to the correct folder. Usually the default setting is correct but if you are using DCS openbeta then you will have to change this.

The small cogwheel spins when DCSFP receives data from DCS-BIOS.

Do you need help? DCSFlightpanels not working as it should?

There are several people around that can and will help. Please help them in turn by providing from start enough information so they can narrow the problem down as quickly as possibly.

• Specify your operating system, Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10?
  • Post your DCSFP error log (as attachment or in
 tags[/i])[/b]
[b]Post your profile or those lines that are (if) relevant ([i]as attachment or in [code] tags[/i])
[/b]
[b]Be as specific as possible when asking for help[/b]
[b]Did it use to work? What has changed?[/b]
[b]Do you have DCS-BIOS installed? Can you use the DCS-BIOS Control Reference page (see first post)[/b]
[b]If *asked* turn on DCSFP "Debug On" and "Debug to file" and post the debug file[/b]
[b]Close down DCS, delete all logs under C:\Users\<user>\Saved Games\DCS\Logs => restart DCS and post dcs.log and dcs-bios.log
[/b]

111.thumb.png.199ad7adeaa5282f93da8d3f640c3ad1.png

Edited by ArturDCS

I am posting information about the data going to and coming from the panels. It might help someone else doing something similar. I have used USBlyzer to sniff the USB traffic to and from the panels and I have also sniffed Saitek's own software.

Switch Panel PZ55 sends 3 bytes representing all the switches and knobs, levers.

0 = Off

1 = On

Byte #1
||||||||_ SWITCHKEY_MASTER_BAT
|||||||_ SWITCHKEY_MASTER_ALT
||||||_ SWITCHKEY_AVIONICS_MASTER
|||||_ SWITCHKEY_FUEL_PUMP
||||_ SWITCHKEY_DE_ICE
|||_ SWITCHKEY_PITOT_HEAT
||_ SWITCHKEY_CLOSE_COWL ** ~
|_ SWITCHKEY_LIGHTS_PANEL

Byte #2 
||||||||_ SWITCHKEY_LIGHTS_BEACON
|||||||_ SWITCHKEY_LIGHTS_NAV
||||||_ SWITCHKEY_LIGHTS_STROBE
|||||_ SWITCHKEY_LIGHTS_TAXI
||||_ SWITCHKEY_LIGHTS_LANDING
|||_ KNOB_ENGINE_OFF
||_ KNOB_ENGINE_RIGHT
|_ KNOB_ENGINE_LEFT

Byte #3
||||||||_ KNOB_ENGINE_BOTH
|||||||_ KNOB_ENGINE_START
||||||_ LEVER_GEAR_UP
|||||_ LEVER_GEAR_DOWN
||||_ 
|||_ 
||_ 
|_

Setting the LED lights on Switch Panel PZ55. One byte with one byte report header (0x0)

LED Byte:
* 00000000 0x0 ALL DARK
* 00000001 0x1 UP GREEN
* 00001000 0x8 UP RED
* 00001001 0x9 UP YELLOW
* 00000010 0x2 LEFT GREEN
* 00010000 0x10 LEFT RED
* 00010010 0x12 LEFT YELLOW
* 00100000 0x20 RIGHT RED
* 00000100 0x4 RIGHT GREEN
* 00100100 0x24 RIGHT YELLOW

B.I.P. bits.

Header = 0xb8
Payload 6 bytes (48 bits)

Byte #1 (Upper row)
||||||||_ Leftmost GREEN, YELLOW when Byte #4 same bit is &
|||||||_ 
||||||_ 
|||||_ 
||||_ 
|||_ 
||_ 
|_ Rightmost GREEN, YELLOW when Byte #4 same bit is &

Byte #2 (Middle row)
||||||||_ Leftmost GREEN, YELLOW when Byte #5 same bit is &
|||||||_ 
||||||_ 
|||||_ 
||||_ 
|||_ 
||_ 
|_ Rightmost GREEN, YELLOW when Byte #5 same bit is &

Byte #3 (Lower row)
||||||||_ Leftmost GREEN, YELLOW when Byte #6 same bit is &
|||||||_ 
||||||_ 
|||||_ 
||||_ 
|||_ 
||_ 
|_ Rightmost GREEN, YELLOW when Byte #6 same bit is &

Byte #4 (Upper row)
||||||||_ Leftmost RED when not same bit in Byte #1 set
|||||||_ 
||||||_ 
|||||_ 
||||_ 
|||_ 
||_ 
|_ Rightmost RED when not same bit in Byte #1 set

Byte #5 (Middle row)
||||||||_ Leftmost RED when not same bit in Byte #2 set
|||||||_ 
||||||_ 
|||||_ 
||||_ 
|||_ 
||_ 
|_  Rightmost RED when not same bit in Byte #2 set

Byte #6 (Lower row)
||||||||_ Leftmost RED when not same bit in Byte #3 set
|||||||_ 
||||||_ 
|||||_ 
||||_ 
|||_ 
||_ 
|_  Rightmost RED when not same bit in Byte #3 set

Radio Panel PZ69

Information for writing on the LCD displays. (20 bytes with a header byte (0x0).)

1 byte (header byte 0x0)
5 bytes upper left LCD
5 bytes upper right LCD
5 bytes lower left LCD
5 bytes lower right LCD

0x01 - 0x09 displays the figure 1-9
0xD1 - 0xD9 displays the figure 1.-9. (figure followed by dot)
0xFF -> blank, nothing is shown in that spot.

Input Report (3 bytes)

Byte #1
||||||||_ COM1 (upper) 
|||||||_ COM2 (upper)
||||||_ NAV1 (upper)
|||||_ NAV2 (upper)
||||_ ADF (upper)
|||_ DME (upper)
||_ XPDR (upper)
|_ COM1 (lower) **!!!**!!!***!!!

Byte #2
||||||||_ COM2 (lower) 
|||||||_ NAV1 (lower)
||||||_ NAV2 (lower)
|||||_ ADF (lower)
||||_ DME (lower)
|||_ XPDR (lower)
||_ Switch (upper)
|_ Switch (lower)

Byte #3
||||||||_ Little (+freq) (upper)
|||||||_ Little (-freq) (upper)
||||||_ Big (+freq) (upper)
|||||_ Big (-freq) (upper)
||||_ Little (+freq) (lower)
|||_ Little (-freq) (lower)
||_ Big (+freq) (lower)
|_ Big (-freq) (lower)

Multi Panel PZ70

Sends 3 bytes when switching occurs.

Byte #1
||||||||_ KNOB_ALT
|||||||_ KNOB_VS
||||||_ KNOB_IAS
|||||_ KNOB_HDG
||||_ KNOB_CRS
|||_ LCD WHEEL INC 
||_ LCD WHEEL DEC
|_ AP_BUTTON

Byte #2
||||||||_ HDG_BUTTON
|||||||_ NAV_BUTTON
||||||_ IAS_BUTTON
|||||_ ALT_BUTTON
||||_ VS_BUTTON
|||_ APR_BUTTON
||_ REV_BUTTON
|_ AUTO THROTTLE

Byte #3
||||||||_ FLAPS UP 
|||||||_ FLAPS DOWN
||||||_ PITCH TRIM DOWN
|||||_ PITCH TRIM UP
||||_ 
|||_ 
||_ 
|_ 

Bytes sent to the PZ70:

1 Report ID byte(0x0) + 11 payload bytes

h p1 p2 p3 p4 p5 p6 p7 p8 p9 p10 p11
|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |_ Lights LCD buttons on/off (LCD Button Byte)
|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |_ Rightmost number on lower LCD row (0x0-0x9, 0xA above will darken the digit position, except 0xEE which will show a dash)
|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |_ 
|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |_ 
|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |_ 
|  |  |  |  |  |  |_ Leftmost number on lower LCD row (0x0-0x9, 0xA above will darken the digit position, except 0xEE which will show a dash)
|  |  |  |  |  |_ Rightmost number on upper LCD row (0x0-0x9, 0xA above will darken the digit position)
|  |  |  |  |_ 
|  |  |  |_ 
|  |  |_ 
|  |_ Leftmost number on upper LCD row (0x0-0x9, 0xA above will darken the digit position)
|_ Report ID byte, always 0x0

The leftmost text in the display is set by the panel itself when it receives feature data.
"ALT / VS"
"IAS"
"HDG"
"CRS"

The panel limits which digit can be displayed depending on which mode is selected.

ALT / VS : p1 - p10
IAS : p4 - p6
HDG : p4 - p6
CRS : p4 - p6

LCD Button Byte
||||||||_ AP_BUTTON
|||||||_ HDG_BUTTON
||||||_ NAV_BUTTON
|||||_ IAS_BUTTON
||||_ ALT_BUTTON
|||_ VS_BUTTON
||_ APR_BUTTON
|_ REV_BUTTON

TPM (only toggle switches) first 3 bytes for TPM rods.

Byte 4:
||||||||_ 
|||||||_ 
||||||_
|||||_ G1
||||_ G2
|||_ G3
||_ G4
|_ G5

Byte 5:
||||||||_ G6
|||||||_ G7
||||||_ G8
|||||_ G9
||||_
|||_
||_
|_

FIP (through Saitek's DirectOutput.dll)

Side buttons from top to bottom:
0x20
0x40
0x80
0x100
0x200
0x400

Left knob:
counterclockwise 0x10
clockwise 0x8

Right knob:
counterclockwise 0x4
clockwise 0x2

Edited by ArturDCS
Added PZ70 information

Great Job Artur, how close are the radios, I'll order both if I can get those working!

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Great Job Artur, how close are the radios, I'll order both if I can get those working!

Both what? I think I will have a stable version within a month. BIP, radio and multi panel included with multi panel support. I am coding every evening and all weekends, lucky having an understanding wife.

The code is very much different. Still question marks which I have to sort out with [FSF]Ian. But progressing.

Sorry, I meant both panels from saitek, and I'll be sure to throw a donation at you :)

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I would like to thanks you for all this hard work that you are putting into the Saitek SAGA

I have been running your V1 since it came out and it is a Gem .

Was unable to update to V5 even after replacing all the files into the same folder than original.

I am not sure why but , V1 is all Good , put v7 is giving a no go.

Thanks if you have some tips...

Best Regards

Scorpion

I would like to thanks you for all this hard work that you are putting into the Saitek SAGA

I have been running your V1 since it came out and it is a Gem .

Was unable to update to V5 even after replacing all the files into the same folder than original.

I am not sure why but , V1 is all Good , put v7 is giving a no go.

Thanks if you have some tips...

Best Regards

Scorpion

Did you delete the LibUSB driver that the first version used? No extra driver is needed now. It uses the vanilla Windows HID driver.

So if your panel is under the older driver then delete it.

Check this post.

Edited by ArturDCS

it's a great work and all preflight.com community uses this

only the RALT and LALT COMBINATION key are not working

i get this message:

saitek_zpswbwi7mzs.png

i'm not a programmer ,i don't know ASCII what it is but is there a simple way for remedy ?

Do you mean pressing both of these keys at the same time does not work as expected?

thanks Artur, followed your instructions and it is all done .. just wondering for lights with F15-c in FC3 if its do-able .

At the moment the A-10C and the UH-1H are supported. This is because no other modules are yet imported to DCS-BIOS which Flightpanels use for reading data from DCS. <hint hint> We need people to do some Lua digging and create the necessary files for using the other modules in DCS-BIOS.

And.. if the module does not have a clickable cockpit it may be that it won't ever be supported.

• Like 1

Wow I never thought I would ever find a use for these panels outside FSX. Fantastic work. Gonna go up into the loft and bring them back down this very min, and gonna keep my fingers crossed that you get them working with all the modules. ;)

Just stunning way to go, rep inbound.

Cowboy10uk

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

FlightPanels Version 2.0 Update

I have the pleasure of working with ArturDCS as a tester on his FlightPanels V2.0 project. As was mentioned in earlier posts, he is now making use of DCS-BIOS. The progress is exciting and I'd like to give users a heads-up of what's coming (with ArturDCS's permission).

The Switch Panel functionality has been great from the get-go and remains so. He has already released a version of FlightPanels that precludes the need of a special driver and we now have use of the LED indicators. :thumbup:

He's making great progress on the Back-lit Information Panel (B.I.P.). Each LED will be programmable in four modes; dark, green, red and yellow. Since the standard tiles that come with the B.I.P. don't cover all possible uses, I'll be posting a number of different approaches to making custom tiles when V2.0 goes live.

ArturDCS is already thinking ahead to the MultiPanel. As this was designed to emulate civil aircraft, we're looking at how best to apply it to DCS modules.

And now for The Big Kahuna -- The Saitek Radio Panel. :) ArturDCS has functionality working for the A-10C AM, FM and ILS radios. We're still testing and working out bugs, but it's going to work! I think ILS landings will forever be a part of my missions now (kind of been ignoring that in the Warthog). Edit: This was just to note progress. Other radios, e.g. UHF, and other modules are being worked on.

Thanks,

Skeeter (a.k.a. Paul)

Edited by pdmarsh

• 2 weeks later...

Version 2 of Flightpanels have now been uploaded.

If you need help then please be as specific as possible and I, pdmarsh or Darkwolf will help you out. There will be a starter profile for the A-10C posted here today.

Happy flying! :pilotfly:

Edited by ArturDCS
spelling

Sample Flightpanels 2.0 A-10C Profile

As promised by ArturDCS, I have attached to this post an example of an A-10C profile that makes use of all supported panels; Switch, Multi, Radio and B.I.P. This is mainly to allow you to see various key bindings, sequences and DCS-BIOS uses within the profile. It hasn't been refined and is really my own test profile. I'll try to follow-up this post in a day or so with a bit more detail on what the bindings mean, or what functions they control, but I did want to get this posted ASAP. Of course, you can sit in the cockpit, throw a few switches, and see what happens!

Thanks,

Skeeter (pdmarsh/Paul)

P.S. -- I was going to post this photo later when I show a few ways to create custom tiles for the B.I.P, but I'll put it here so you can see what the B.I.P. bindings in the attached profile relate to. The custom tiles will probably be obvious. The photo makes them look worse than they really do in practice.

BIP-07.jpg

A-10C.zip

Edited by pdmarsh

Updating Dirver Software

I fumbling through the install and finally at the point to update driver and am getting an error stating "The third-party INF does not contain digital signature information." Do you have any direction on this paticular problem?

Win 10 Pro - Intel I7 12700k@4.9ghz water cooled - ASUS TUF Z690 -EVGA RTX 3080 12G Hybrid - EVGA 1000W PSU - 32GB 3200 G-Skill XMP- Reverb G2 -Custom mip and side panels - Leo Bodnar  BBI32x2, BBI64x4 - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM Cougar MFD's x 3 - TM TPR pedals