Deffered shading or not?

Wolf8312

Very happy with performance in DCS at the moment, either with or without DS but to be honest having turned it off despite losing some very cool effects I think on balance VR is perhaps better without it.

Performance is better, and although the colors are duller, over vegas at least things don't look quite so cartoonish and the cockpits are way better. Of course things like the explosions, tracers, glass interiors of the cockpits, and lighting are sadly missed but I'm thinking that on balance especially due to performance and it being more hassle, we're probably better off without deffered shading for the time being. Still havent checked the Cacausus and the trees yet though, so this opinion is liable to change.

What do you guys think? On or off?

Edited by Wolf8312

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

Yes performance is better, in the way that 90fps is better than 45fps, due to ASW artefacts.

But in Caucasus, I found not possible to maintain 90 fps with the settings I want, so actually I set pretty high settings, DS on, little PD and AA, and I lock 45fps ASW on. It's very stable -45fps all the time except when making lot of stuff exploding on the ground with rockets, frag bombs or else - and graphics quality is very good.

I lock 45fps because when it often changes between 45 and 90 it stutters a bit. And I can't stand ASW off (no smoothness).

With Nevada it's very possible, DS off, to keep 90fps quasi all the time (except Vegas fly by) but I still prefer DS on with locked 45fps ASW on. I'm really ok now with this ASW feature, despite the artefacts.

And, I can't explain why, but with DS on, fps don't go as low as with DS off (on same spot I get 45fps with DS on, and as low as 20ish with DS off - strange but true).

I'm willing to compromise on a lot of things to keep fps up in my Rift, but lighting effects aren't among them.

Wait you dont find MSSA and deffered shading combined to be a performance hit?

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

I fly mainly on the Normandy map now, and my preference is to have deferred shading on.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Very happy with performance in DCS at the moment, either with or without DF but to be honest having turned it off despite losing some very cool effects I think on balance VR is perhaps better without it.

Performance is better, and although the colors are duller, over vegas at least thinks don't look quite so cartoonish and the cockpits are way better. Of course things like the explosions, tracers, glass interiors of the cockpits, and lighting are sadly missed but I'm thinking that on balance especially due to performance and it being more hassle, we'r probably better off without deffered shading for the time being. Still havent checked the Cacausus and the trees yet though, so this opinion is liable to change.

What do you guys think? On or off?

Of course OFF!

And not only for VR. Performance is not an issue, but, as you say, the cockpits and

their illumination at dusk / dawn night are far superior with DS off.

And where do we spend the most of the time?

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=202460

Mainboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero Intel Z 370

CPU: Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.0 GHz

Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000

Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Monitor ASUS PA 329 32" @ 4K

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 256 GB

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 4 TB

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals

Well I wouldnt say of course! I've gone back to DS because the trees still look funky, and theres so much about DS that I love. But I am rather torn, both have their pros and cons! I hate how puny the tracers and explosions are with DS off, flying into those dust clouds and the scattered remains of your fallen foe is pretty hard to substitute for a lame wisp of grey smoke!

Edited by Wolf8312

------------

I haven't tried night flying with DS Off but will now. DS Off during during the day? No can do. It looks like a donkeykong game from the 80's! Lol.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

I haven't tried night flying with DS Off but will now. DS Off during during the day? No can do. It looks like a donkeykong game from the 80's! Lol.

Yeah.. a Donkey Kong game from the 80's had HDR sun effects and shadows in the cockpit....

So then what? Switching DS off for the night flights,

switching it on for the day again, each time waiting ages for the shaders to rebuild?

No way... I'd expect a solution from ED and developers for this problem, which does not only concern the free Caucasus, but all the payware sceneries and planes.

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

Yeah.. a Donkey Kong game from the 80's had HDR sun effects and shadows in the cockpit....

So then what? Switching DS off for the night flights,

switching it on for the day again, each time waiting ages for the shaders to rebuild?

No way... I'd expect a solution from ED and developers for this problem, which does not only concern the free Caucasus, but all the payware sceneries and planes.

Yeah thats the problem switching back and forth is a pain!

------------

Yeah thats the problem switching back and forth is a pain!

Indeed... So, for me, for the time being until they sort this issue out,

is deferred shading off. I fly mostly at dusk, and I don't mind the trees,

as I use mostly Nevada. And anyway, 90% of the time is spent inside the cockpit,

and it seems that most people agree that the majority of the cockpits are far better

with DS off.

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004