RomeoKilo's Pit

romeokilo

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow....just wow. Have you thought about stereo projection? The added depth perception could really help. I thought the guy that used to sell the projector based sim said he was using 3D projection.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

RK, I just saw your youtube vid on how you made the fuel panel. I have two questions.

The acrylic that you used, I'm guessing it's Plexiglass and not Lexan/Polycarbonate? I heard Lexan/Poly tends to melt with laser.

And the opaque/diffuser that you used. Is it just the angle that makes it look so different in the two different times of the video below? The link will take you to the exact spot where the diffuser is shown.

And with your 40W laser, you were able to cut it in one pass? I'm looking at a 7W for my Shapeoko from JTech. I don't mind if it takes more than one pass, but I'm worried that it may not be as clean. I'll play with acrylic friendly end mills as well.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

RK, I just saw your youtube vid on how you made the fuel panel. I have two questions.

The acrylic that you used, I'm guessing it's Plexiglass and not Lexan/Polycarbonate? I heard Lexan/Poly tends to melt with laser.

And the opaque/diffuser that you used. Is it just the angle that makes it look so different in the two different times of the video below? The link will take you to the exact spot where the diffuser is shown.

And with your 40W laser, you were able to cut it in one pass? I'm looking at a 7W for my Shapeoko from JTech. I don't mind if it takes more than one pass, but I'm worried that it may not be as clean. I'll play with acrylic friendly end mills as well.

The sheet I use is cast acrylic. It can be sold under the brand name Plexiglass, but be careful because some stores will sell any type of plastic sheeting as 'Plexiglass.'

Ive bought sheets of that from a local hardware store with good results, then bought the same thing another time and found that it's actually Lexan Poly.

And yes, I can confirm that does melt/ignite in the Laser!

Make sure you are buying it from a seller that knows the difference, and that you are buying cast acrylic. Plenty of them online and on eBay.

The diffuser was the same part in that video, must of been the angle or that I had removed its protective sheet at some point.

And the 40 watt laser will absolutely do it in one pass. I don't need to set it higher than 40% power for 3mm acrylic, at 12mm per second. Hot knife through butter.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

RK mentioned in his video description: I've upgraded mine using a upgrade pack from http://www.lightobject.com, as well as a 60 watt tube.

In the vid, he said that he upgraded the DSPs as well from lightobject.com. though he didn't say which upgrade pack it was.

RK,

Thank you very much. I've been buying from eplastics.com and I'm sure they will keep me honest. Maybe I'll start sourcing it locally if I do get a laser for my Shapeoke3/Jtech. But I have a bunch of Lexan that I can test with (cnc routing) for now. Thanks again. Also, I didn't see much detail about the landing gear design. If you have the details handy could you post it? If not, no worries. Thanks again.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Ahh yeah that's right, I forgot mines actually running a 60 watt tube!

The 40 watt tube I had from the machine originally did the cuts in one pass, although at higher power and lower speeds.

I'll have a look for my landing gear panel files, although the mechanism itself was hand made of aluminium stock on the fly, so no plans for that one but it's very simple. I'll find and post some pics.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This truely is an amazing build, the information, and videos are also very inspiring (my wallet is not my friend after watching the screen build stuff)

have you thought about adding transducer subs to the pit at all? not sure if it adds anything to flight sim, but it transformed my race rig set up.

keep up the amazing work, waiting for whats next :)

Hey RK, can you repost your button pics? They are all showing as missing and Photobucket doesn't have them any longer. Thanks!

I found the buttons were actually one of the easiest parts to make once I decided to make them as simply as possible.

This project now has its own INSTAGRAM account

Follow @thewarthogproject

I post photos there in real time as the build progresses!

Thanks for updating the pics!! Awesome!

This is my (6th...) prototype Landing Gear Panel and Handle. It has come a long way since the hand drilled acrylic, ink jet printouts and a castor wheel in the first thread!

Handle before gluing. Still working on where to position the LEDs for best lighting.

This one is based on a Gadroc's measurements, but because my AHCP will be lifted out of the MIP by 18mm (to clear the monitor) I'll probably have to do one with less of a bend.

Would you happen to have the gear handle dimensions from Gadroc's doc handy? The link is broken and Gadroc's site is throwing PHP errors. I've modeled it in F360 and plan to 3D print a prototype (unless I can find 10mm aluminum stock locally) but have no idea what the actual dimensions should be. Thanks!

• 2 months later...
the videos appear to be broken?

These ones?

Edited by sharkfin61

sharkfin out!

Support your local AirTransportWing !

Roal Bavarian Airforce all the way

NEW RIGRYZEN 7  5800X3D~ AORUS GTX 1080Ti ~ AORUS X570S Elite AX ~64 GB Corsair Venegance DDR-4 3600 ~ BeQuiet AIO Silent loop 2 360  watercooled ~ Samsung 890 Pro M.2 (2TB) + 870 EVO (1TB) SSD ~ WIN 10 64-bit ~ AOC 31.5" Gaming 144Hz Display ~ DelanClip@TrackIR 5 ~ TM Warthog no.2 ~Saitek rudder pedals~ 2 TM MFDs on 2nd 27"display ~ Buddyfox A-10 UFC ~ CDU/AAP panel via DCSBios ~ ARC-210 (soldering WIP)