Resources for correct aircraft codes/serials?

Nealius

I'm looking to make more realistic aircraft codes instead of randomly mashing 3 letters, but I can't seem to find any good resources.

Wikipedia has a list of RAF aircraft codes, but the list is massive. I do not know which squadrons were Spits, much less Mk.IX Spits.

If I take the DCS liveries, like 2TAF, I can't find any information on Mk.IX squadrons. Just a bunch of other aircraft in the 34th Recon Wing. Likewise, when I try searching for Mk.IX squadrons I can't find a list.

Wikipedia has a picture of a Mk.IX from 2TAF 125 Wing, but again, I can't find a squadron list for 125 Wing.

Where can I find correct aircraft codes for RAF Mk.XI Spits?

This won't be an easy task for a specific time period, unfortunately.

On the fortunate side, each squadron only has TWO letters in its code. The third letter is just for individual aircraft.

Wikipedia will give you a list of codes for almost ALL RAF squadrons, but these change throughout the war for certain squads. Take my virtual squdron from example (54 Squadron). When based in 11-Group during the BoB, 54 Sqn flew with "KL" squadron codes. However, later in the war they reverted back to their pre-war "DL" code.

Now, if you want to know what codes to use which might make historical sense from a Normandy Campaign perspective you'd need to do two tinegs:

1. Make a list of all 2ndTAF squadrons from the order of battle:

http://www.americandday.org/D-Day/2nd_Tactical_Air_Force-Order_of_battle.html

Then,

2. Go through wikipedia or another source and note the Code that each squadron was using in June/ July 1944.

At 2 minutes per squadron average, this task will take between 2.5 and 3 hours.

Incidentally, from the "Order of Battle" links above 125 Wing was made up of the following squadrons - I have added ther Squadron codes from the normandy campaign time period to get you started:

flechedroite.png125 Wing (Ford airfield):

132 Squadron: Flag-Angleterre.jpg - "FF"

453 Squadron: Flag-Australie.jpg - "FU"

602 Squadron: Flag-Angleterre.jpg - "LO"

Edited by philstyle

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

That's 2nd TAF sorted!

Now for the Air Defence Great Britain (ADGB, formerly Fighter Command) Squadrons

1 Sqn - "JX"

Based at Predannack, Harrowbeer, Detling & Lympne, all in UK throughout Normandy campaign

33 Sqn - "5R"

Based at Lympne, Tangmere, Funtington, Selsey & Fairwood Common, all in UK throughout Normandy campaign

64 Sqn - "SH"

Based at Deanland, Harrowbeer & Bradwell Bay, all in UK throughout Normandy campaign

74 Sqn - "4D"

Based at Lympne, Tangmere, Selsey & Southend, all in UK throughout Normandy campaign

126 Sqn - "5J"

Based at Culmhead, Harrowbeer & Bradwell Bay, all in UK throughout Normandy campaign

80 Sqn - "W2"

Based at Detling, Merston, Gatwick & West Malling, all in UK throughout Normandy campaign

229 Sqn - "9R"

Based at Detling, Tangmere, Merston, Gatwick & Coltishall, all in UK throughout Normandy campaign

274 Sqn - "JJ"

Based at Detling, Merston, Gatwick & West Malling, all in UK throughout Normandy campaign

Edited by DD_Fenrir

150 Wing Based at Newchurch UK throughout Normandy campaign.

56 Sqn - "US" -- note: was only Spitfire Mk.IX unit in Wing; others had Tempests and 56 converted in July to the Hawker a/c

In April 1944 the squadron converted to the Supermarine Spitfire, but this was short lived, and in June it received the fast new Hawker Tempest, an aircraft that finally lived up to the Typhoon's early promise as a fighter. In the same month the V-1 offensive began, and for the next four months the squadron was involved in the campaign against the flying bombs.

In September No.56 Squadron was finally free to move to the Low Countries to take a direct part in the last stage of the ground war. From then until the end of the war the squadron used its Tempests on armed reconnaissance sweeps, which gave its pilots the freedom to range around behind German lines attacking any suitable targets that they located. After the war the squadron remained on the continent, where on 31 March 1946 it was renumbered as No.16 Squadron.

http://www.historyofwar.org/air/units/RAF/56_wwII.html

Happy landings,

56RAF_Talisman

Bell_UH-1 side.png

• 8 months later...