F-22 vs Fokker Triplane

Braeden108

What is so different between a DR1 v F-22 or an Iranian Drone v F-15E, a Predator v Mig-25(!), Cessna v Cuban Mig-23 (?), or in my case, training to shoot down AN-2s (biplanes) with F-4Es?

If you can see them (and they ALL show up on radar) you can kill them. If they see you, they can make it a bit harder, but then they just die all tensed up...

We used to train against OV-10s (simulating NKAF AN-2s). Fun stuff. Especially when you joined up on the wing of the Bronco following an intercept, flaps down, going as slow as you could get that Rhino to go, and the Bronco pilot waved and pulled his throttles back. Unload and full AB RIGHT NOW was called for!

I recently did some engagements against low altitude turning AN-2s in an F-15E sim (USAF, not Janes) and had no trouble killing it with guns, heaters, or slammers (bit of a waste of money, that last one).

Vulture

Totally academic but vulture is right it is no contest you just attack from the vertical and gun him down. Its the same as attacking a Helo.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

Hey you can't consider this a 1 vs 1 fight.

For the price of an F-22 you could get 30,000 Dr.Is. So it's a lone Raptor up against a giant swarm of triplanes. Sure the F-22 might down a dozen of em before it runs outa ammo. Then a buzzing cloud of Oberursels will fill it full of holes. :pilotfly:

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

For the price of an F-22 you could get 30,000 Dr.Is. So it's a lone Raptor up against a giant swarm of triplanes. Sure the F-22 might down a dozen of em before it runs outa ammo. Then a buzzing cloud of Oberursels will fill it full of holes. :pilotfly:

That would be a sight to see and hear! But the F-22 could just hang around at 30'000 ft or so, watching the chaos below and waiting for the survivors to land, out of gas. Then sprinkle some SDBs to stir things up and strafe a bit for the hell of it.

Which brings up another question: How much would a Dr.I cost today? I doubt they only cost $5000 or so...Tony Fokker was too smart for that, so guessing they would cost about as much as a new Husky (pretty equivalent in size and power), which cost over $300,000 today. So if you figure $300 mil per F-22 (way too high - includes dev cost), you get only 1000 Dr.Is for the cost of one F-22.

Much better odds ;^)

Vulture

Ive mentioned this before and was surprised how many here have not tried this before.

Setup a battle in the F15 vs 109 in DCS, Guns only of coursesmile.gif

it's fun, but even more fun is ganging up on a lone f-15 with a mob of 109s -- trying to catch that ufo 4thgen from the perspective of a propnose really gives you an appreciation for its performance.

That amount of pilots will rapidly increase costs -and of course you'll need maintenance and fuel as well.

make sure you account for the disparity in training costs required though!

Edited by probad

You could station the F-22 about 300 NM away from the Fokker base (beyond range of the Dr.1) and then just make multiple sorties to kill them all, in the air or on the ground.

DCS Finland: Suomalainen DCS yhteisö -- Finnish DCS community

--------------------------------------------------

SF Squadron

It's a bit like the MiG-21 vs. F-15C discussion a while back...

Of course the F-15C has to win!

...but then, there are these videos where MiG-21 with good GCI kill F-15Cs.

If you take the "balance" out, and simply pit a Fokker Dr. I against an F-22 Raptor it is a likely, the F-22 can simply fly past the Fokker at Mach 1.2 and "blast" it out of the sky... but it is also possible, that the Fokker shoots a hail of bullets into the path of the F-22 and it hits something critical and the F-22 has to abort...

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

With luck almost anything is possible but it would indeed need tremendous amount of luck for the Dr.1 to beat a F-22. I did try to think a way for the Dr.1 to win but it all boils down to the F-22 being piloted by an amateur.

DCS Finland: Suomalainen DCS yhteisö -- Finnish DCS community

--------------------------------------------------

SF Squadron

It's a bit like the MiG-21 vs. F-15C discussion a while back...

Of course the F-15C has to win!

...but then, there are these videos where MiG-21 with good GCI kill F-15Cs.

If you take the "balance" out, and simply pit a Fokker Dr. I against an F-22 Raptor it is a likely, the F-22 can simply fly past the Fokker at Mach 1.2 and "blast" it out of the sky... but it is also possible, that the Fokker shoots a hail of bullets into the path of the F-22 and it hits something critical and the F-22 has to abort...

The bigest mistake the F-22 Pilot could possibly do is underestimate the situation. If he does, any opponent has a valid chance, even a DR-I.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

769781dogfight.png

darn...

beat me to it.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD