[AS INTENDED] CAT Take-off instructions removed? - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-21-2020, 09:33 AM   #11
Whisper

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirusAM View Post
That message was not useful for human players, as they can go to any cat they want.
It was useful only for the AI which is directed to a particular CAT.
Then ATC should be updated to also direct human players....
Whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:47 AM   #12
VirusAM

Send a message via MSN to VirusAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper View Post
Then ATC should be updated to also direct human players....
The ATC on the carrier doesn't direct planes on the cats.
Ground crew does
Old 05-21-2020, 09:56 AM   #13
Whisper

How is it done IRL? It's free for all, like we players are? I very much doubt it
Old 05-21-2020, 10:10 AM   #14
LURKINGBADGER

Depends on where the Jet would be chained down on the Deck. And also wich Cats are up.

The taxi Deal is managed by the Yellowshirts. One Aircraft-Handler gives the Jet to next one up/down the Deck till it reaches a Point behind the JBD. After that its the Catapult Crew that takes over and goes from there.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:53 AM   #15
Whisper

OK, so quite a difficult task to achieve proper for ED (animations, deck handling, covering all cases of player slots spawning, etc...), could be done at later stage of SC lifecycle or never.

Though something very simple just to cover players amongst AIs, which are handled in some way, would be good.
Like inserting players inside the AI logic, assigning them a cat like it's done for AI, and relaying that info in simple manner, could do the trick? That way, if current logic for AI covers the group cat assignation properly (ie, AIs in group are bundled together in cat assignation and take off within reasonable timeframe), then players would also benefit from that logic and be taking off with their group
Old 05-21-2020, 01:53 PM   #16
VirusAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper View Post
How is it done IRL? It's free for all, like we players are? I very much doubt it
IRL there are the yellow shirts that directs you.
Probably this will be implemented at a later stage.
For now, the AI will receive that message (but the players won't see it), and humans can take which cat they wants.
Of course if you spawn on elevator 1 or 2 the convenient choice is to go cat I and cat II.
The opposite for other places.
In single player you won't have any issues. In multiplayer a bit of coordination is the best bet (by voice or chat if in a public server)
Old 05-21-2020, 07:58 PM   #17
Repth
DCS Ground Crew

I'm sorry, but in my opinion the logic behind this decision is flawed. The carrier environment is tightly controlled and heavily coordinated for a reason. You do not want aircraft moving wherever they want on the deck while other aircraft are in the process of launch and recovery.

Not everyone online uses voice chat (SRS or default) and not everyone speaks the same language either. Online squadrons or groups would have to pull someone out of aircraft to control the area, possibly excluding them from flying with everyone, or being forced to design missions around the need to have a controller directing traffic so that everyone can participate.

I know that I will probably not be able to change ED's mind about this decision, but I hope they will at least consider adding the option for us to use this if we want a more realistic option.
Repth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 02:30 PM   #18
fmedges

How do I know the carrier acknowledged my request for launch? I’ve had multiple times when the deck has over 6 planes in MP and I request launch and the cat crew doesn’t give me any commands. We need some kind of feedback. If 4 players request launch does the 5th have to wait until one is launched or can they taxi and get launched in random order?

Last edited by fmedges; 05-22-2020 at 09:42 PM.
fmedges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 06:22 PM   #19
JayBird

I agree with most of the posts in this thread.

I think it missions where AI presence on the flight deck is high, this is essential for the player to get an idea of what the AI is intending to do.

I'd suggest this as an option for the carrier in the mission editor.

YouTube | Steam | Discord: JayBird#4400

i7-7700K | GTX 980 | 32gb RAM | 500gb SSD | 2TB HDD| Track IR | TM Warthog HOTAS | Logitech Pro Pedals
JayBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 09:50 PM   #20
VirusAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmedges View Post
How do I know the carrier acknowledged my request for launch? I’ve had multiple times when the deck has over 6 planes in MP and I request launch and the cat crew doesn’t give me any commands. We need some kind of feedback. If 4 players request launch does the 5th have to wait until one is launched or can they taxi and get launched in random order?

You should see the crew moving from recovery to launch position.
But they won’t do that if on cat3 or 4 during recovery operations.
If they don’t give you instructions, just stop behind the JBD and slowly advance until they recognize you an give instructions.
Sometimes you will need to go around and try again, or on a different cat. But in this openbeta should not happen too often.

About the message I can understand you, but it was not useful for human players...probably they will add taxi instructions via the crew later...let see what happens.