DCS: Eurofighter Typhoon - Avionics

Vault,

You're incorrectly attributing the quote in your new signature to the USAF, when in fact, it was supposedly said by an individual in the RAF.

This thread is a waste of perfectly good electrons.

"They've got us surrounded again - those poor bastards!" - Lt. Col. Creighton Abrams

The Typhoon is indeed an ugly piece of work. Oh well, at least it can carry more than the Gripen. Also, it can fight better than the Raptor. According to others, it is possible for AMRAAMs and Meteors to receive fire control from AEW&C aircraft and ground stations. Maybe another party will come in here and announce that the EF-2000 got upgraded engines with rocket boosters that allow it to fight in space :music_whistling:.

Maybe this is where Tom Clancy gets the facts for his books.

This thread is a waste of perfectly good electrons.[/Quote]

Don't forget drive space.

(ducks :D)

Edited by Pyroflash

If you aim for the sky, you will never hit the ground.

According to some others, it is possible for AMRAAMs and Meteors to recieve fire control from AEW&C aircraft and ground stations.

Well that part at least is true, sort of. But people often misunderstand how such capabilities actually work (and Typhoon is far from alone in having such capabilities).

As for the rest, it's no different to the various rumours surrounding the Raptor or the F-35 or any gen 4.5/5 aircraft. Those amongst us who have actually first hand knowledge of the aircraft /systems/weapons stay mostly quiet for obvious reasons, while those who heard something from a mate who heard it from some bloke in the pub (or worse read it on Wikipedia) argue about things on the internet. It's the same on just about every forum across the internet and will never change.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Well technically I did hear it from guys in the pub but the guys were RAF. They use pubs too.

The Typhoon is indeed an ugly piece of work.

Shame that because the primary design objective was to make it look pretty.

If the telegraph pole takes off after you, it is not a telegraph pole.

...and order is restored! :D

What does EF do that this doesn't, really?? It is very capable, and half the price. I'm sure the latest toys can be put into this thing.

MRCA_Rafale_jet_fighter.jpg

Best regards,

Tango.

Edited by Tango
  • Like 1
Well technically I did hear it from guys in the pub but the guys were RAF. They use pubs too..

Lies, we don't drink at all, the entire RAF is tee total.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Guys, return on-topic and keep rule 1.2 in mind.

Some offending posts removed.

Edited by EtherealN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

What does EF do that this doesn't, really?? It is very capable, and half the price. I'm sure the latest toys can be put into this thing.

Well the answer is that the Typhoon does everything a little better except land on carriers but that's because the F-35 is coming.

If the telegraph pole takes off after you, it is not a telegraph pole.

Lies, we don't drink at all, the entire RAF is tee total.

Bunch of wowsers then?:D

"A true 'sandbox flight sim' requires hi-fidelity flyable non-combat utility/support aircraft."

Wishlist Terrains - Bigger maps

Wishlist Modules - A variety of utility aircraft to better reflect the support role. E.g. Flying the Hornet ... big yawn ... flying a Caribou on a beer run to Singapore? Count me in. Extracting a Recon Patrol from a hastily prepared landing strip at a random 6 figure grid reference? Now yer talking!

Errr.... No. First off, this alleged exercise victory was quite specifically listed as a "dogfight". Not sure how many dogfights are fought BVR these days. I always thought the two terms were mutually exclusive. Maybe that's just me.

I agree that speed, ceiling, radar output, radar cross-section, ECM, ECCM, and missile capability are more important than raw maneuverability.

I disagree that the Typhoon is superior to the F-15 in all of these (or even most). The F-15 is a mach 2.5 fighter. The Typhoon is a mach 2 fighter.

Currently, BOTH fighters are armed with AIM-120. You can't make comparisons with weapons that don't exist/ aren't fielded yet (at least, unless you want me to start claiming US Boeing ABLs are going to fly around melting all your fighters from the sky with death rays). They aren't pertinent.

I'm pretty sure the radome on the Eagle is larger than the Typhoon, and the available electrical power is superior, allowing for equal (or superior) radar. I don't know enough details to compare their detection ranges without doing some serious research first, but I'd be inclined to guess that the Eagle equals or surpasses the Typhoon in detection range (almost certainly, with the AESA-equipped Golden Eagles which now comprise a significant portion of the US active-duty F-15C fleet).

The Eurofighter consortium's claims of stealth are frankly laughable. They could compare Typhoon to the F/A-18E, regarding RCS... they could even claim to significantly better the Superhornet, and I'd be willing to believe them. But when they claim superior RCS to the F-22 in ANY aspect, I call BS. ANY aircraft with external weapons stowage is going to lose to the F-22 and F-35 in RCS, from all aspects, by a lot. An AIM-9 has a larger RCS than an entire F-22.

So in a long-range fight, it's probably closer to parity than either side having significant advantages. In a gunzo dogfight, Typhoon will probably win. In a dogfight with modern heaters, well, the victor of that one is more likely to be determined by tactics entering the fight than the capabilities of the aircraft, because it'll probably be over at the merge, with no follow-on turning fight involved.

Now, if it was 2x EFA plus 6x F-18 versus 8x F-15, then I can believe the fight going either way. I can DEFINITELY belive the Eagles losing if they were playing the part of the aggressor/ strike package/ OPFOR (where their tactics, SA, and capabilities are limited to emulate plausible adversary nation's aircraft).

This ... too much EF hype

Also i don’t consider mach 1.2 super cruise, a clean F-16N can do that

MRCA_Rafale_jet_fighter.jpg

Best regards,

Tango.

Also the Rafale is one of the best looking aircraft around...

Edited by cameron126

Computer: I7 12700K OC 5.0 All Cores, EVGA 3070TI FTW 3, MSI Tomahawk Z690 DDR4 WIFI, 64 GB Corsair DDR4 3600 MHz, M.2 NVME 3TB

Gear: Virpil T-50CM2 Mongoose Stick, CM3 Base, CM3 Throttle, Logitech Pedals, HP Reverb G2

Modules: F-15E, F-18C, F-16C, F-14, A-10C II, AV-8B, M-2000C, Mirage F1, F-5, AH-64D, MI-24, KA-50, Nevada TTR, Syria, Persian Gulf, Falklands, Sinai, Afghanistan