Kneeboard Builder (windows app)

AlaskanGrizzly

Version 1.8.0.6 is now available.

-Fixed 'Value cannot be null' crash on startup after update to DCS 2.5.6.57949 Open Beta

Awesome! Thanks AG! :thumbup:

i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift S

I installed the latest version and the program will now open. However, in-game the kneeboard appears in one area of the screen and an empty frame with the kneeboard controls appears on another area of the screen I can move both by clicking on the frame and dragging, but not by clicking on the kneeboard (the part with the pages showing). I am running multiple monitors, so the kneeboard images appear on one monitor and the empty frame appears on another monitor. See attached screenshot. You will have to enlarge the image to see the empty frame just over the HUD.

Thanks,

Paul

d4c1604539e0ae6f32af09afa0c0f8da.thumb.png.a49dda0b563c8a5ea95bc91d0dbd4963.png

Quick question here,

I created a test kneeboard for the F/A-18C, and then decided to ditch it and build my own (but still using your great app to parse my pdf manuals :). I tried removing the kneeboard, and now I'm seeing a dark grey kneeboard with instructions on how to install AA batteries... a quick reverse Google Image search solved what it was; it's the message that's on the base plate of a commercially available kneeboard. So I'm assuming that's a 'base' template from Kneeboard Builder? Could you help me get my F/A-18C kneeboard back to the standard DCS one so that it'll display pages again?

Thanks!

Nick

EDIT: I forgot to add, this only happens in VR for some reason.. thanks

Edited by nick_thain
Adding more information

Quick question here,

I created a test kneeboard for the F/A-18C, and then decided to ditch it and build my own (but still using your great app to parse my pdf manuals :). I tried removing the kneeboard, and now I'm seeing a dark grey kneeboard with instructions on how to install AA batteries... a quick reverse Google Image search solved what it was; it's the message that's on the base plate of a commercially available kneeboard. So I'm assuming that's a 'base' template from Kneeboard Builder? Could you help me get my F/A-18C kneeboard back to the standard DCS one so that it'll display pages again?

Thanks!

Nick

EDIT: I forgot to add, this only happens in VR for some reason.. thanks

Running a DCS repair will probably be your best option. Select the repair option that removes all non-native files from the DCS install to make sure you get rid of any old kneeboard related configuration files that are no longer needed after the latest DCS update. I am still looking into how the new kneeboard works and how well it plays with Kneeboard Builder.

I installed the latest version and the program will now open. However, in-game the kneeboard appears in one area of the screen and an empty frame with the kneeboard controls appears on another area of the screen I can move both by clicking on the frame and dragging, but not by clicking on the kneeboard (the part with the pages showing). I am running multiple monitors, so the kneeboard images appear on one monitor and the empty frame appears on another monitor. See attached screenshot. You will have to enlarge the image to see the empty frame just over the HUD.

Thanks,

Paul

In the Kneeboard Builder go to Options -> Kneeboard Profiles -> Restore Defaults and then run a DCS repair to clear out any remaining old configuration files that may be interfering with the new kneeboard setup.

With the new resizable and movable DCS kneeboard system the kneeboard profiles from Kneeboard Builder are no longer necessary to use unless you want the kneeboard to default to a certain size and position.

In the Kneeboard Builder go to Options -> Kneeboard Profiles -> Restore Defaults and then run a DCS repair to clear out any remaining old configuration files that may be interfering with the new kneeboard setup.

With the new resizable and movable DCS kneeboard system the kneeboard profiles from Kneeboard Builder are no longer necessary to use unless you want the kneeboard to default to a certain size and position.

Thank you for the response, but it's still not working. I did everything you suggested, and a full, or long, DCS repair and still no go. The kneeboard with images and the empty frame still appear on different monitors. One thing to note, if I don't create a custom profile after doing the clear and repair, the kneeboard gets stuck to the lower right of the monitor. I can't move it. I have to create a new profile move the kneeboard from that lower right corner. At the point, I will see both the kneeboard and the empty frame, all moved to the left.

Thank you for the response, but it's still not working. I did everything you suggested, and a full, or long, DCS repair and still no go. The kneeboard with images and the empty frame still appear on different monitors. One thing to note, if I don't create a custom profile after doing the clear and repair, the kneeboard gets stuck to the lower right of the monitor. I can't move it. I have to create a new profile move the kneeboard from that lower right corner. At the point, I will see both the kneeboard and the empty frame, all moved to the left.

If it is still not working after performing a DCS repair and without using a Kneeboard Builder profile then the problem is likely not being caused by Kneeboard Builder. Kneeboard Builer only modifies one .lua file for each aircraft in the DCS install directory only when a profile is applied. That single file is reset after a DCS repair. It may be an issue with the new DCS kneeboard system not liking multi-monitor configurations.

If it is still not working after performing a DCS repair and without using a Kneeboard Builder profile then the problem is likely not being caused by Kneeboard Builder. Kneeboard Builer only modifies one .lua file for each aircraft in the DCS install directory only when a profile is applied. That single file is reset after a DCS repair. It may be an issue with the new DCS kneeboard system not liking multi-monitor configurations.

Thanks AlaskanGrizzy, you're probably right. I can work around this for now. Hopefully ED will have a fix in time. Kneeboard Builder is a great utility. Thanks for the time you put into it.

Paul

Running a DCS repair will probably be your best option. Select the repair option that removes all non-native files from the DCS install to make sure you get rid of any old kneeboard related configuration files that are no longer needed after the latest DCS update. I am still looking into how the new kneeboard works and how well it plays with Kneeboard Builder.

Thanks mate!

Before I try a running a DCS repair (as I'm not sure if that will also affect other mods), I should add that this issue was happening before the new kneeboard arrived (again, just in VR). Just in case I did a poor job of explaining the issue before, below screen is what's appearing on the Kneeboard, is it familiar to you?

Screen_201120_090133.png.4c16603fad1b6ec279e220f032f8412f.png

Finally, can you confirm that the only lua file modified by KBB is 'device_init.lua'? If not, can you tell me which file is modified? And if it is that lua, I compared mine to a friends unaltered F/A-18C device_init.lua, using the 'Compare' function in Notepad++, and mine is the same as his..

Thanks again Grizzly!

Nick

The 'device_init.lua' is the only DCS file modified when you set a custom profile using Kneeboard Builder and it will be restored after a DCS repair or update. The cause of your problem may appear in the dcs log file in your DCS saved games 'Logs' folder. If you send it to me I can take a look for you too.

The 'device_init.lua' is the only DCS file modified when you set a custom profile using Kneeboard Builder and it will be restored after a DCS repair or update. The cause of your problem may appear in the dcs log file in your DCS saved games 'Logs' folder. If you send it to me I can take a look for you too.

Thanks Grizzly, here it is:

dcs.log

Some progress to report;

After reading up on DCS Cleaning and Repairing, and discovering that all changes are saved in a backup folder, I decided to go ahead with it. Then fired up DCS, VR, in the Hornet, and brought up the kneeboard. Saw the same as in my screenshot above. In frustration, I tried again tapping forward through the pages... and found that the above image is there for 7 pages, then the kneeboard pages that I've manually added (not using KBB) are all there. Better! However, the standard DCS pages are all missing...

Hopefully my log file will shed some light on this...

Last update override the default kneeboard with another copy of the contents in the kneeboard_orig each time you fires the app. I think this is the correct work,....

YouTube Channel

Update: MSI Z790 Tomahawk, i9 13900k, DDR5 64GB 640 MHz, MSI 4090 Gaming X Trio, 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD NVMe M.2 and 4 more, HOTAS TM Warthog, Meta Quest Pro

Last update override the default kneeboard with another copy of the contents in the kneeboard_orig each time you fires the app. I think this is the correct work,....

I'm sorry, re-reading my last post I realize I didn't explain myself well ;). I didn't mean that DCS is writing over the default kneeboards with each update (you're correct, they definitely do that :) ), what I meant is these dark grey 'To Load Batteries' pages are over-writing the default DCS route maps. I'd really like to see those default DCS route maps again, I just can't figure out how to get rid of the 'To Load Batteries' pages.. and it's so weird that it's only happening in the Hornet and only in VR..

@AlaskanGrizzly, did you have any luck with my log file? Thanks again for checking it out mate!

Nick

Coming VERY late to tis great utility. Thanks a lot for this!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Having trouble getting Kneeboard Builder to launch, just stuck on the opening screen and have to kill it with task manager.

Edit: Ok I got it - see there was a newer version all working now.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I have used this program for several years.  Today, when I tried to load it, I got an error message below.  The full path of my saved games folder is "C:\users\name\saved games\DCS.openbeta"  so I am a little confused on what to do as the app automatically uses  "C:\user\name\saved games".  I AM RUNNING THE LATEST VERSION OF OPENBETA AND THIS APP.

---------------------------
There was an error!
Use Ctrl + C to copy this error and e-mail it to s13solutions@gmail.com :  

System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Users\13057\Saved Games\Mods\aircraft'.

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)

at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1.CommonInit()

at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1..ctor(String path, String originalUserPath, String searchPattern, SearchOption searchOption, SearchResultHandler`1 resultHandler, Boolean checkHost)

at System.IO.DirectoryInfo.EnumerateFiles(String searchPattern, SearchOption searchOption)

at KneeboardBuilder.Viewmodels.MainViewModel.FindLuaFile(String _pathToSearch, String _fileNameToFind, String _aircraftName, String _optParam)

at KneeboardBuilder.Viewmodels.MainViewModel.GetDeviceInitPath(String _dcsPath, String _dcsSavedGamePath, String _aircraftName)

at KneeboardBuilder.Viewmodels.MainViewModel.SetupKneeboard(String _dcsPath, String _dcsSavedGamesPath, String aircraftname, ProfileModel _selectedProfile)

at KneeboardBuilder.Viewmodels.MainViewModel.UpdateDefaultKneeboards()

at KneeboardBuilder.Viewmodels.MainViewModel..ctor()

at KneeboardBuilder.Views.MainView..ctor()
OK   

Edited by sobe

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2020 at 6:01 PM, sobe said:

I have used this program for several years.  Today, when I tried to load it, I got an error message below. ..

Hi,

The same happened to me, on latest Openbeta and KB v1.8.0.6  😂

There was an error!
Use Ctrl + C to copy this error and e-mail it to s13solutions@gmail.com :  

System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: No se puede encontrar una parte de la ruta de acceso 'C:\Users\Eduardo\Saved Games\DCS.OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft'.
   en System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   en System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1.CommonInit()
   en System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1..ctor(String path, String originalUserPath, String searchPattern, SearchOption searchOption, SearchResultHandler`1 resultHandler, Boolean checkHost)
   en System.IO.DirectoryInfo.EnumerateFiles(String searchPattern, SearchOption searchOption)
   en KneeboardBuilder.Viewmodels.MainViewModel.FindLuaFile(String _pathToSearch, String _fileNameToFind, String _aircraftName, String _optParam)
   en KneeboardBuilder.Viewmodels.MainViewModel.GetDeviceInitPath(String _dcsPath, String _dcsSavedGamePath, String _aircraftName)
   en KneeboardBuilder.Viewmodels.MainViewModel.SetupKneeboard(String _dcsPath, String _dcsSavedGamesPath, String aircraftname, ProfileModel _selectedProfile)
   en KneeboardBuilder.Viewmodels.MainViewModel.UpdateDefaultKneeboards()
   en KneeboardBuilder.Viewmodels.MainViewModel..ctor()
   en KneeboardBuilder.Views.MainView..ctor()
Aceptar   

Trying to fix this, I deleted the KneeboardBuilder.exe.Config file to run the initial setup again, which runs fine, but when it restarts the error shows up again 😞

Let's hope @AlaskanGrizzly sees this and can fix it.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

• 2 weeks later...

Download page of Kneeboard Builder is offline.

Is there any other download source available? If got 1.8.0.4 and it is unable to start.

SYSTEM: Mainboard MSI MEG X570 | CPU Ryzen 7 5800X @ 4.5 GHz | RAM 64 GB @ 3200 MHz | GPU GIGABYTE RTX 4090 | 1 TB SSD | Win 10 x64

DEVICES: ASUS 27" LCD | TrackIR 5 | LukeClip | Quest 3 | PointCTRL | Virpil HOTAS | MFG Crosswind | TableMount MonsterTech

MODULES: To much to list. But I stopped buying more, because of too much bugs in e.g. A-10C(II). @ED: Fix the bugs and I spend money on modules again. Promised.

PROJECTS: OpenFlightSchool: DE / EN

17 minutes ago, 59th_Punch said:

Same here, a note from A. G. would be nice...

he has not connected since November 20th .. hopefully it’s just real life issues and not a health one.

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB