WeaponFormat[10000] = "+"

-- Colors in {red, green, blue} format, volume from 0 up to 255

ColorAliesSide = {100, 0, 255}
ColorEnemiesSide = {200, 0, 0}
--ColorAliesSide = {200, 0, 0}
--ColorEnemiesSide = {50, 0, 255}

I find those satisfactory for myself.

They are not vulching... they are STRAFING!!! :smartass::thumbup:

I am wondering if we are playing the same game. I used your Labels.lua and now I have no labels at all. All I want tp know is simply if it's possible to increase the SIZE of the enemy labels. Yes or NO? If so how do I do it?

Then, replace the content of the file in My Documents with

- Label parameters
-- Copyright (C) 2004, Eagle Dynamics.

AirOn = true
GroundOn = true
NavyOn = true
WeaponOn = true

-- Label max distance depends on graphics visibility range option value
-- For low ЃE40000.0 m
-- For medium ЃE50000.0 m
-- For high ЃE80000.0 m

---------------------------------
-- Label text format symbols
-- %N - name of object
-- %D - distance to object
-- %P - pilot name
-- %n - new line 
-- %% - symbol '%'
-- %x, where x is not NDPn% - symbol 'x'
-- %C - extended info for vehicle's and ship's weapon systems
------------------------------------------
-- Example
-- labelFormat[5000] = "Name: %N%nDistance: %D%n Pilot: %P"
-- up to 5km label is:
--       Name: Su-33
--       Distance: 30km
--       Pilot: Pilot1

AirFormat = {}
AirFormat[20] = ""
AirFormat[1000] = "%N"
AirFormat[12000] = "`"

GroundFormat = {}
GroundFormat[15] = ""
GroundFormat[30] = "%N"
GroundFormat[1400] = "'"
GroundFormat[2000] = "%N"
GroundFormat[20000] = "'"

NavyFormat = {}
NavyFormat[10000] = "x%N%n%D"
NavyFormat[20000] = "x%n%D"
NavyFormat[40000] = "x"

WeaponFormat = {}
WeaponFormat[10] = ""
WeaponFormat[20] = "%N"
WeaponFormat[5000] = "%N%n%D"
WeaponFormat[10000] = "+"

-- Colors in {red, green, blue} format, volume from 0 up to 255

ColorAliesSide = {100, 0, 255}
ColorEnemiesSide = {200, 0, 0}
--ColorAliesSide = {200, 0, 0}
--ColorEnemiesSide = {50, 0, 255}

I find those satisfactory for myself.

LOL, for most of us, NONE of that is self explanitory. It's like saying "This is self explanitory, it's so easy" and showing a bunch of laymen C++ code.

It looks simple like Basic Programming, but it might as well be machine code to me, neither one makes any sense to me and I can't do anything with it unless someone says "Put this here and that there" Then I still don't know Why or How it works, just that it did what it was supposed to because that guy said to do these things I don't understand.

Memcco

Not sure if this is what you may be looking for. Have a look.

Good lord, 41 minute video for this?! Is there a cliff notes version? Or better yet a PDF. People are in love with hearing themselves talk, couldn't they condense this?

falken76:

EDIT, just looked at the NEW Labels.lua and it looks like they have added text size into the mix (Had not looked at it in a VERY long time).

Lines 39-43 show how to change the font properties.

-- labels font properties {font_file_name, font_size_in_pixels, text_shadow_offset_x, text_shadow_offset_y, text_blur_type}
-- text_blur_type = 0 - none
-- text_blur_type = 1 - 3x3 pixels
-- text_blur_type = 2 - 5x5 pixels
font_properties =  {"DejaVuLGCSans.ttf", 13, 0, 0, 0}

Edited by Shahdoh

So, to break it down, you will find the "Labels.lua" file in the main install directory.

My path is:

D:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Config\View

Your install path may vary depending on if standalone/steam/custom location/etc...

You should not edit the file in that location, instead, copy it to your SAVED GAMES folder. This is where DCS wants you to have modified files. (EDIT: The "View" folder may not exist, if not, just create it)

My path using Open.beta is:

D:\Users\Ron\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\View

Once it is in the Saved games area, you can edit it to your desired settings and it will then override the default file in the main install directory.

(Special note ****I highly recommend using a text editing program for code such at NOTEPAD++(Free to use). Since LUA is a computer code language, it is highly susceptible to syntax errors from text formatting. The standard Notepad or other word processing programs can enter invisible characters that can cause problems.)

Since you want to just change the font size, that can be found on line 43.

font_properties =  {"DejaVuLGCSans.ttf", 13, 0, 0, 0}

First we see the type of font being used ""DejaVuLGCSans.ttf" and then the font size of "13". The rest of the entry deals with shadow offsets and or blur and probably not desired so can leave as is.

Simply change the 13 to a desired size, save and go into DCS to see how it works for you.

(For those that do not know, the "--" in a line means it is for a comment. Its descriptive information for the person looking at the code and will not be executed as a command in the program. )

Hope this helps, good luck.

Edited by Shahdoh

Thanks a lot, very helpful ... just copied your tip onto my DCS' Notebook :)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Memcco

Regret bro the advice I gave before was not sending you in the right direction at all.

Shahdoh has the answer.

What I can tell you is along the path I took,

If you do not have a folder Users\Memcco\Saved Games\DCS.1-5\Config\View.....You go ahead and make one.

Leave the games original copy of labels file where it is, just make a copy.

Do your adjustments to the copy of labels file (Notepad++) and save it in that new folder.

If you make adjustments and restart game to find something terribly wrong, make another copy of original labels and you can start again or use the undo feature in Notepad++

Good luck

To shed a little more light; the way this works is the game checks for modified files in the /saved games directory against files in the installation directory. If you have no modified files, the directory structure isn't present in /saved games.

If you want to make a modification (such as a custom labels.lua) simply create a directory structure identical to the installation folder and place the modified file there.

I do not have a view folder in Users\Mike\Saved Games\DCS.1-5\Config\?????

What do I do about that? Do I create one? This game is starting to piss me off, but I hate giving up!!!

Don't give up, take your time in learn everything with this sim, so much stuff to learn right!:cry: otherwise you will get frustrated. Plus there's many here to help you get setup.

What I found when practicing situation awareness.

I set the up the labels to only be a DOT with no text and only distance. I also had the different colors on to see the different sides.

Later I saved the view file and modified a new one with no distance showing and only a DOT with different colors for each side.

The last one I changed to just show a GREY DOT with no colors or distance to help spot targets as a monitor is not as good as the eyes, the next stage is labels off, if the spotting is set good enough standard?

Copy the DCS original "Labels.lua" file and place it in

C:\Users\(YOUR USER NAME)\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\View

I can run through how this works and how the file can be changed when I get home if you like?

Try and make some changes, like Shahdoh explained on the first page, you can always delete and start again.

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Thank you...invaluable info. Now all I have to learn in the next couple of years is how to turn on the engines...lol. Just went through the training of it at least 4 times...my head is spinning. No way to just fire up and go, huh?

Right Alt+Home= Start left engine

Right Ctrl+Home = Start right engine

Check your control bindings

msi Z170A MB, i7-6700k @ 4.0GHz, 32GB DDR4

GeForce GTX 970 4GB, Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB

Acer Predator Z271, 650w PSU, Corsair Carbon500R, MS FFB 2

So, to break it down, you will find the "Labels.lua" file***
You are very patient, sir, and correct, at that. Hats off to you, mate :thumbup:

Thank you...invaluable info. Now all I have to learn in the next couple of years is how to turn on the engines...lol. Just went through the training of it at least 4 times...my head is spinning. No way to just fire up and go, huh?
Ususally, there is a quick way to "cheat-start" the engines, that is Winkey+Home (auto-shutdown is Winkey+End). It can be rebound in the Controls menu. But remember that this can be disabled on multiplayer servers (by the creator's settings).

They are not vulching... they are STRAFING!!! :smartass::thumbup: